Czech game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Czech game

kumnio

So according to these rules - they are not playing because they cannot field 13 players, they are refusing to play.  The moral dilemma here is another debate but as far as the result of the game - it seems like a drawing of lots will happen.

If a national association is not in a position to field a team with the above-mentioned minimum number of players (i.e. 13 including at least one goalkeeper), the match will, if possible, be rescheduled at a date to be fixed by the Uefa administration, which shall also have the power to assign it to a venue which may be in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) if deemed appropriate; in any event, the home team will remain responsible for the organisation of the match and all related costs.

If the match cannot be rescheduled, the Uefa control, ethics and disciplinary body will take a decision on the matter. The national association that is responsible for the match not taking place or not being played in full will be declared to have forfeited the match unless both or none of the teams is/are responsible, meaning the match cannot be declared as forfeited.

If the match cannot be declared as forfeited, the outcome of the match will be decided by drawing of lots (i.e. win 1-0, loss 0-1 or draw 0-0) carried out by the Uefa administration.

I do not see anything to suggest they would lose 3-0 but it may exist out there. 

Edited by romanticscot

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

So according to these rules - they are not playing because they cannot field 13 players, they are refusing to play.  The moral dilemma here is another debate but as far as the result of the game - it seems like a drawing of lots will happen.

If a national association is not in a position to field a team with the above-mentioned minimum number of players (i.e. 13 including at least one goalkeeper), the match will, if possible, be rescheduled at a date to be fixed by the Uefa administration, which shall also have the power to assign it to a venue which may be in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) if deemed appropriate; in any event, the home team will remain responsible for the organisation of the match and all related costs.

If the match cannot be rescheduled, the Uefa control, ethics and disciplinary body will take a decision on the matter. The national association that is responsible for the match not taking place or not being played in full will be declared to have forfeited the match unless both or none of the teams is/are responsible, meaning the match cannot be declared as forfeited.

If the match cannot be declared as forfeited, the outcome of the match will be decided by drawing of lots (i.e. win 1-0, loss 0-1 or draw 0-0) carried out by the Uefa administration.

I do not see anything to suggest they would lose 3-0 but it may exist out there. 

It’s literally in the part about the match being forfeited, a forfeit is an automatic 3-0.

All of the European club matches where a side couldn’t field a team because of positive Covid tests this season have been awarded 3-0 to the opposition team (for instance prishtina against Lincoln Red Imps http://footballgibraltar.com/2020/08/prishtina-forfeit-as-lincoln-progress/ )

Impossible to see how UEFA don’t award us a 3-0 victory given the precedent they’ve already set and used.

I read it as only forfeited if they cannot field 13 players + spare goal keeper and it cannot be rescheduled, it doesn't meet that criteria then the outcome of the match is drawn by lots.  However this game is off because they refuse to play, not because of the forfeit criteria, the attempt to reschedule the match criteria doesn't apply either.  This essentially is a refusal to play - anyone know what the actual law book says? If that's where the 3-0 loss comes from then great.  Yes again, need to see the SFA have some balls here and fight in the interest of the national team but I doubt they will because we will "look bad". UEFA have used to 3 nil loss for sure but they may say because its a different tournament, this precedent doesn't apply.  I am for the 3-0 loss.  

Edited by romanticscot

3 nil it is for us.  

The 13 eligible players rule does not apply in this case, so it is a 3 nil win for us.  

UEFA Disciplinary Regulations.  

Article 27 Forfeit 1 If a match cannot take place or cannot be played in full, the member association or club responsible forfeits the match. 2 A match is declared forfeit if a player who has been suspended following a disciplinary decision participates in the match. 3 A match may be declared forfeit if a player who is ineligible under the regulations of the competition concerned participates in the match, as long as the opposing team files a protest. 4 The consequences of a match being declared forfeit are as follows: a. the team forfeiting the match is deemed to have lost 3-0 (5-0 in futsal competitions), unless the actual result is less favourable to the member association or club at fault, in which case that result stands; b. if necessary, the UEFA administration amends the member association or club’s ranking in the relevant competition accordingly. 5 If a match is declared forfeit, offences committed during the match remain punishable.

6 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Surely if the Czechs cancel the game they are at fault and will forfeit the match? 

The drawing of lots should only happen if UEFA postpones the match and it can’t be rescheduled. 

No doubt we’ll get shafted as usual though. 

There’s absolutely no way after just competing in and winning a game that they couldn’t field a full squad!  They’re at it and the game should be forfeited!

I have a feeling this is underhand tactics from the Czechs to disrupt our preparations. I’ll not be surprised if the game is forced to go ahead by UEFA and we still lose.

Interesting one.

Now we don't know what tough COVID measures the Czech government have with regards the pandemic. Perhaps it is tied in that if any sporting team has an outbreak then it is shut down for self-isolation period.

I cannot see the Czech Republic trying to 'pull a fast one' for a home game against us especially after a comfortable away win last night.

I can very easily see UEFA giving them special dispensation and allowing the game to be rescheduled.