Scotland starting XI vs Israel - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Israel

Taylor1996

Throw in my two pence's worth

Been one of the most vocally opposed posters on here to three at the back, but thought well lets give it a go.

Line up for the formation was pretty much how I would have picked it with two changes. Wouldn't have had McKenna ahead of Cooper and would have played Fleck instead of Jack. As it turned out I thought McKenna was excellent and Jack did what he was supposed to do very well. So I was probably wrong twice already add on McTominay and Forrest as wrong and you can see why managerial career never took off.

McTominay was very poor in his new position and people going on about Forrest not being a wing back, well Robertson is miles away from being one either. So we had three players who could not adapt to the formation. With McGregor having a total off game we were never going to put in a performance

Only way I would suggest trying this again would be to move McTominay into McGregors slot and play an experienced centre back on McKenna's right, shit, hang on we still don't have any wingbacks. Lets just go back to what our players know best.

I hope McKenna can play as well on the right of a back four. If not we will have to try Cooper then some one else, then some one else and so on. After hearing Tierney's interview before the game he as good as said he couldn't play right back so he has to play left side of defence with Robertson as left back. Pick any one of the three players who have played right back for us before, no one seems to think any of them are any good so it doesn't matter which one.

Do what you want with the midfield but leave out McGregor as he seems well of the pace and Dykes has to start up front because some one thought one striker was enough for an international double header..

Probably going to be playing a side of the same standard of the Faroe Islands, and we all know what happened there.

Biggest positive is that even with us playing that badly Israel couldn't win.

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Lets just go back to what our players know best.

Which is?

I'm 100% serious.

Our most recent matches, we've manage to struggle to beat Cyprus 1:2, lost to Russia 4:0 and 1:2, scraped a 2:1 against Cyprus at Hampden, only beat San Marino 0:2 and got thrashed 3:0 by Kazakhstan.

If these are all achieved by "what our players know best", then God help us.

There's a valid reason why our previous three managers have experimented with a back three. If a four was working, there would be no need to experiment.

32 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Which is?

I'm 100% serious.

Our most recent matches, we've manage to struggle to beat Cyprus 1:2, lost to Russia 4:0 and 1:2, scraped a 2:1 against Cyprus at Hampden, only beat San Marino 0:2 and got thrashed 3:0 by Kazakhstan.

If these are all achieved by "what our players know best", then God help us.

There's a valid reason why our previous three managers have experimented with a back three. If a four was working, there would be no need to experiment.

Just because we haven’t achieved anything with 4 at the back doesn’t mean we’ll do any better with 3 at the back. 

As we’ve discussed many times, we’ve tried it before and it didn’t work. We tried it last night and it didn’t work. We don’t have the players for it. End of story. 

Having seen his press conference after the game... it’s a good chance of a back 4.  I don’t thin’ he included Palmer and o Donnell without that being a possibility.  Given tierneys reluctance to play right back we might end up wth

palmer McKenna tierney robertson

orvmaybe Cooper in and tierney on the bench

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Having seen his press conference after the game... it’s a good chance of a back 4.  I don’t thin’ he included Palmer and o Donnell without that being a possibility.  Given tierneys reluctance to play right back we might end up wth

palmer McKenna tierney robertson

orvmaybe Cooper in and tierney on the bench

Seriously?

*sigh*

John McGinn on our formation against Israel:

"It was different, it was one we'd been working on all week."

"It's sort of alien to a few of us but I think it worked well, there are things to improve on and get better at but we've got the players in there capable of doing it."

"Whether the manager sticks with that on Monday or in the future who knows, but we had a lot of top players on the pitch and we need to start bringing out qualities more."

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

John McGinn on our formation against Israel:

"It was different, it was one we'd been working on all week."

"It's sort of alien to a few of us but I think it worked well, there are things to improve on and get better at but we've got the players in there capable of doing it."

"Whether the manager sticks with that on Monday or in the future who knows, but we had a lot of top players on the pitch and we need to start bringing out qualities more."

Yes, let’s try an alien formation in an important match.

Baffling. 

On 9/5/2020 at 7:30 PM, mrniaboc said:

Lol, you called me "syphilis" a few months back. You fucking deluded nugget 😂

On 9/5/2020 at 8:16 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Really?

I'd go back and check if I were you:

The thread is Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

Page 15.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, mrniaboc said:

I'm not one to ignore people just because I don't like what they have to say. Also, I'd miss this banter we have. 

Yes. I'd miss it like syphilis...

And no, I don't put people on ignore.

It's a pretty savage 360 to go from "I'd miss our banter" to calling me a "A fucking deluded nugget".

Are you going to apologise for saying that I called you syphilis? Probably not, as you would've did it already.

How's your modus operandi of "making friends and finding a community" going for you? Good? How's the conforming going? Good?

How's the PhD coming along for you? Good?

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's a pretty savage 360 to go from "I'd miss our banter" to calling me a "A fucking deluded nugget".

Are you going to apologise for saying that I called you syphilis? Probably not, as you would've did it already.

How's your modus operandi of "making friends and finding a community" going for you? Good? How's the conforming going? Good?

How's the PhD coming along for you? Good?

Well, you did say "that's my pet name for you", so just thought I'd call you out on your bullshit claim that you don't resort to silly name calling etc 😂

Community finding going well thanks. I love having people to talk to about the Scotland national team regularly. People who care about the subject as much as I do.

PhD went well many years ago now, thanks. Wouldn't do it again though.

Just now, mrniaboc said:

Well, you did say "that's my pet name for you", so just thought I'd call you out on your bullshit claim that you don't resort to silly name calling etc 😂

Community finding going well thanks. I love having people to talk to about the Scotland national team regularly. People who care about the subject as much as I do.

PhD went well many years ago now, thanks. Wouldn't do it again though.

I said " that's my pet name for you"? Evidence, please. I very much doubt it.

You really are morphing into the mob here, aren't you?

Great. Good for you. Don't have many friends?

Yes. It shows.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I said " that's my pet name for you"? Evidence, please. I very much doubt it.

You really are morphing into the mob here, aren't you?

Great. Good for you. Don't have many friends?

Yes. It shows.

I have lots of football fwiends. 

That wasn't me.

However, if it were me, anyone would take it as "banter". Not you, though?

You even claimed that I called you an alcoholic when I cited a quote from "Cheers".

Be yourself. What did Kurt Cobain say? "I'd rather be hated for being myself, than loved for someone who I'm not".

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That wasn't me.

However, if it were me, anyone would take it as "banter". Not you, though?

You even claimed that I called you an alcoholic when I cited a quote from "Cheers".

Be yourself. What did Kurt Cobain say? "I'd rather be hated for being myself, than loved for someone who I'm not".

Peace, love, and empathy. 

37 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe you are and you don’t realise it.

Like Fight Club for Scotland fans. 

Welcome to TA Club. The first rule of TA Club is: you do not talk about 3-5-2. The second rule of TA Club is: you DO NOT talk about 3-5-2! Third rule of TA Club: someone yells "stop!", goes limp, taps out, the match is over.