Scotland starting XI vs Israel - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Israel

Taylor1996

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

And which formation are we capable of playing?

A variant of 4-5-1?  There's a reason why McLeish, Strachan and now Clarke have experimented with a 3.

Someone please show me the evidence that we can play well with four at the back. Please. Over the past 20 years, where's the success using the four? Everyone keeps stating that we can't play with a three, but they can't show me any evidence that we can play with a four.

The most recent time we qualified for either a European Championships or a World Cup is 1990. 

It's weird. It's like, when Berti Vogts took over in 2000, and changed the successful template of 3-5-2, to a 4-4-2, everyone completely forgot about the success we had under Craig Brown.

Hopefully Steve Clarke doesn't listen to the media or the insane block of the Tartan Army.

I'm not against 3-5-2/3-4-3 if you have the players capable of playing it. Brown had three good centre backs in Calderwood, Hendry and Boyd while Dailly and Burley were very comfortable at wing back both defensively and attacking while Lambert in the middle of midfield was the progressive player.

At present we barely have two competent centre backs, we might have one player comfortable at wing back in Tierney and the midfield last night wasn't progressive in their play. That could be fixed by Armstrong and Fleck but the first two issues won't be resolved with this current crop of players.

If you analyse the goals scored in November, of the five, four came from wide areas - three from crosses into the box and one from a winger cutting inside. It has been a hallmark of our attacking play since Gordon Strachan took over as manager. This shows the benefits of having two wide players on either side of our team.

As I have stated before on this board a number of times, I like 3-5-2 if you have the players to play it but too many of our players are not comfortable with it due to tactical unawareness generally.

We can bang on about football 20 years ago but our players back then were smarter tactically and the game was a lot less complicated than it is today.

Insulting people who disagree with you as insane is not the way to create good debate so maybe best to tone that down if you want people to engage in a balanced way as I have tried to. TAMB isn't Twitter, we have a generally passionate but sensible class of poster who have varied views on how to play football. Engaging them like that is what creates the best debate.

Well that sucked. The scariest part for me is the mental side for this team. The more they don't win, the more any sort of winning mentality drains away from the squad. Then they don't expect to win when they pull on the dark blue. Then they lose all passion and confidence when playing for Scotland. They really need to batter Israel next month and put this match behind them. Otherwise, things just get darker.

13 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Where has our creativity gone??  In the Euro16 and WC18 qualifiers at least we would be entertaining and create chances.  We seem much more solid but are doing absolutly nothing in the final third.  The amount of times we pass backwards in the last 5-6 games is very frustating.

Steve Clarke has made us more compact, but we havent done anything offensively against Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Russia or Israel.  Very turgid to watch.

Agreed.  Gordon Strachan got absolute pelters on here when he was manager but one of his sides would have won that game last night; or at the very least drawn it but created a few chances along the way. Bar the penalty did we even have a shot on target?? And against, let's face it, a fairly average international side.

It's not the end of the world but if we're serious about qualifying we need to be beating teams like Israel at home.

7 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Strange that he picked two right backs and didn't play either. Seems odd if he seats intended to play with wing backs. I'm not sure about his crossing ability but Paterson might be an option as well. Overall though If be happier to revert back to four at the back.

Right backs aren’t wing backs though. Forrest is wasted at wing back and there isn’t really a viable substitute in that squad. What if he got injured, change the whole system again? Clarke has fallen into the trap of trying to be too clever. Get back to a 4-5-1 especially now we have a striker who will be ideal for it. There is zero width in that formation yesterday. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Right backs aren’t wing backs though. Forrest is wasted at wing back and there isn’t really a viable substitute in that squad. What if he got injured, change the whole system again? Clarke has fallen into the trap of trying to be too clever. Get back to a 4-5-1 especially now we have a striker who will be ideal for it. There is zero width in that formation yesterday. 

I agree with this. Feel a bit sorry for Forrest as he tried but he's not a wing back.

I think that all the talk of formation is pointless if you don't have the players. Sometimes you play a not-quite-as-good player because they are the best in that position. If it doesn't look like we have a suitable right wing back we just don't play that way. The problem then is Tierney. Can he play the left of 2 Centre backs? If not, drop Robertson and play Tierney at LB. Personally I'd like to see Clarke give Tierney a chance at CB in a back 4 against the Czechs to see.

Never play McTominay in defence again and swap McGregor for Fleck/Armstrong.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

That's what I was trying to say, unless he intended to play wing backs against Israel and play a back four against the Czechs. 

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Agreed.  Gordon Strachan got absolute pelters on here when he was manager but one of his sides would have won that game last night; or at the very least drawn it but created a few chances along the way. Bar the penalty did we even have a shot on target?? And against, let's face it, a fairly average international side.

It's not the end of the world but if we're serious about qualifying we need to be beating teams like Israel at home.

I liked how we played under Strachan, we played with confidence for alot of his tenure. I think the players liked playing for him as well. 

I have a funny feeling he just wanted to experiment and thought the Israel game was the best time to do that. 

We'll revert back to a 4-2-3-1 for the next game I think, as the formation doesn't work with the players we have.

------------- Marshall

Palmer McKenna Tierney Robertson

--------McTominay Jack/Fleck

Christie McGinn Armstrong

-------------- Dykes

35 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I have a funny feeling he just wanted to experiment and thought the Israel game was the best time to do that. 

We'll revert back to a 4-2-3-1 for the next game I think, as the formation doesn't work with the players we have.

------------- Marshall

Palmer McKenna Tierney Robertson

--------McTominay Jack/Fleck

Christie McGinn Armstrong

-------------- Dykes

If we lost with that team I would have no complaints. That said, we’d have a decent chance. 

8 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

We can bang on about football 20 years ago but our players back then were smarter tactically and the game was a lot less complicated than it is today.

Insulting people who disagree with you as insane is not the way to create good debate so maybe best to tone that down if you want people to engage in a balanced way as I have tried to. TAMB isn't Twitter, we have a generally passionate but sensible class of poster who have varied views on how to play football. Engaging them like that is what creates the best debate.

I'm not replying to the most your post as I've already addressed it, dozens of times.

Exactly. These bunch of players are not as good. Back then, though, those players struggled in a 4-4-2 for Scotland, which is why Brown changed it.

Are you new? "Insane" is a compliment compared to the abuse and hate that I've faced. Some people simply cannot engage, they just resort to petty name calling and sarcasm. I don't even try anymore. 

Besides, I insulted no one. I cited the Einstein quote: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results". And that's precisely what people want to do.

Edited by Taylor1996

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Well that sucked. The scariest part for me is the mental side for this team. The more they don't win, the more any sort of winning mentality drains away from the squad. Then they don't expect to win when they pull on the dark blue. Then they lose all passion and confidence when playing for Scotland. They really need to batter Israel next month and put this match behind them. Otherwise, things just get darker.

The more they don’t win?

They had won three games in a row before last night. 

8 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Insulting people who disagree with you as insane is not the way to create good debate

Actually, are you new?

I've spent pages and pages carefully answering people, politely, respectfully and insightfully. Answering the same questions over and over and over again.

None of it gets through.

This has been met, by a few people, with vitriolic insults.

Also, I've never once, individually, called anyone a petty, silly, stupid, childish, rude and hateful name. I would never resort to that. It's embarrassing.

Edited by Taylor1996

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Also, I've never once, individually, called anyone a petty, silly, stupid, childish, rude and hateful name. I would never resort to that. It's embarrassing.

Pretty sure you’ve called me a pussy or something similar. I probably deserved it to be fair. 😂

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The more they don’t win?

They had won three games in a row before last night. 

That's a fair point. We did beat San Marino, Cyprus, and Kazakhstan back to back. Lost 5/7 before that though. Wouldn't exactly say this squad are high on victory right now.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Lol, you called me "syphilis" a few months back. You fucking deluded nugget 😂

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

That's a fair point. We did beat San Marino, Cyprus, and Kazakhstan back to back. Lost 5/7 before that though. Wouldn't exactly say this squad are high on victory right now.

4 of those 5 were against the best team in the world and a decent Russia. Let’s not mention the fifth one. 

I’m almost sure last night was the first time we failed to beat a team at home that was ranked below us in a competitive match since Lithuania in 2016 (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong). 

We can and should be beating teams like Israel, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino at home so last night was a worrying sign. 

49 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Lol, you called me "syphilis" a few months back. You fucking deluded nugget 😂

Really?

I'd go back and check if I were you:

The thread is Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

Page 15.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, mrniaboc said:

I'm not one to ignore people just because I don't like what they have to say. Also, I'd miss this banter we have. 

Yes. I'd miss it like syphilis...

And no, I don't put people on ignore.

Edited by Taylor1996