Scotland starting XI vs Israel - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Israel

Taylor1996

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'm probably the happiest Scotland fan tonight.

I'm absolutely over the moon! As I said earlier, I don't care about the result or even the performance, I just wanted a change of system.

If anyone is demanding we go back to a four, we'll, they're demented. We play four at the back for 20 years with no success, and three only has one match? Right. Hopefully Steve Clarke sticks to his guns and keeps with the three.

So happy.

Problem with 3 at the back is you leave yourselves wide open to players running the channels. And we don't have enough right footed CB's.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

100% yes.

I'm glad you asked that. 

It's about long term.

1 minute ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Where has our creativity gone??  In the Euro16 and WC18 qualifiers at least we would be entertaining and create chances.  We seem much more solid but are doing absolutly nothing in the final third.  The amount of times we pass backwards in the last 5-6 games is very frustating.

Steve Clarke has made us more compact, but we havent done anything offensively against Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Russia or Israel.  Very turgid to watch.

We actually looked good against Kazakhstan last time we played them, not the best opposition but was still a decent performance.

McLeish got fkin slaughtered for playing 3 at the back across in Israel and therefore fielding his 2 best players out of position.

Only one can be left-back and that has to be Robertson. Tierney is more versatile so put him at centre-half or further up in front of Robertson.  Just don't play fkin alien formations!  That was beyond rancid tonight.  Dykes did ok - at least the ball stuck to him most times when he tried to control it.  Anyone notice Burke's first touch?  Some like-for-like replacement that was.

10 minutes ago, Rohan said:

He was our best player on the park. If you're not happy with his performance then you must be seething with the rest

In your opinion - which I respect.

I thought Ryan Jack - surprisingly - was excellent tonight in the break-up role.

Penalty apart (and let's face it - the award was generous), there was no other shot on goal, so how can that be considered as acceptable from our creative players?

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

McLeish got fkin slaughtered for playing 3 at the back across in Israel and therefore fielding his 2 best players out of position.

Only one can be left-back and that has to be Robertson. Tierney is more versatile so put him at centre-half or further up in front of Robertson.  Just don't play fkin alien formations!  That was beyond rancid tonight.  Dykes did ok - at least the ball stuck to him most times when he tried to control it.  Anyone notice Burke's first touch?  Some like-for-like replacement that was.

Good to see a target man in Dykes be able to hold the ball up and do something with it.  Could do with having a poacher alongside him.  Or is it unfashionable these days to play 2 strikers

22 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Where has our creativity gone??  In the Euro16 and WC18 qualifiers at least we would be entertaining and create chances.  We seem much more solid but are doing absolutly nothing in the final third.  The amount of times we pass backwards in the last 5-6 games is very frustating.

Steve Clarke has made us more compact, but we havent done anything offensively against Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Russia or Israel.  Very turgid to watch.

Imo we had better players (especially in 16) many of which were far more creative than anyone we had tonight! Our major problem back then was self sabotage. We had moments of great creativity and often followed that up with defensive catastrophes! Now we’re compact but utterly clueless going forward 

The negativity on here is ridiculous.

Am I disappointed that we drew at home to Israel? Yes

But talk about an overreaction!

That's the only time Clarke has been anywhere close to having his best squad available and half of them aren't at full match fitness. 

I think we can all agree what went before hasn't been brilliant, so he's tried to change it.

Personally I liked the formation. It needs a  few tweaks, mainly we need more bodies in the box when we attack, but it has potential to accommodate all our best players. I also thought we should have changed it after the equaliser as we had lost all our momentum, but Clarke obviouslysaw it differently.

Let's just remember, Israel have 4 forwards who would walk into our team, so a conscious approach seems sensible. 

For those saying, aye but we beat them with 4 at the back under McLeish, go back and watch the game. We were fortunate that night in a game that could've gone either way.

We are a work in progress and patience is going to be required folks. Even though, we're stuck at home, let's get behind the team.

1 minute ago, ghtresa said:

That's the only time Clarke has been anywhere close to having his best squad available and half of them aren't at full match fitness. 

I think we can all agree what went before hasn't been brilliant, so he's tried to change it.

Personally I liked the formation. It needs a  few tweaks, mainly we need more bodies in the box when we attack, but it has potential to accommodate all our best players. I also thought we should have changed it after the equaliser as we had lost all our momentum, but Clarke obviouslysaw it differently.

Let's just remember, Israel have 4 forwards who would walk into our team, so a conscious approach seems sensible. 

For those saying, aye but we beat them with 4 at the back under McLeish, go back and watch the game. We were fortunate that night in a game that could've gone either way.

We are a work in progress and patience is going to be required folks. Even though, we're stuck at home, let's get behind the team.

Too many excuses - not enough reality.

Who are the four forwards who would walk into our time - and who would they replace?

1 minute ago, ghtresa said:

Spot on 👍

I don't say that 3 at the back is the answer but it's got potential. The main reason it didn't work out tonight apart from the reasons you mentioned was that the midfield didn't function at all well. Jack did a reasonable job in the holding role but the rest were very poor on the night. 

25 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

In your opinion - which I respect.

I thought Ryan Jack - surprisingly - was excellent tonight in the break-up role.

Penalty apart (and let's face it - the award was generous), there was no other shot on goal, so how can that be considered as acceptable from our creative players?

Sadly, your correct 

We were very poor, lack of creativity and urgency were mostly to blame. However I wouldn't single Christie out specifically for this game.