Scotland starting XI vs Israel - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Israel

Taylor1996

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I am in two minds about the formation. Was it that formation that made us so toothless in attack?

Not sure but it wasn't pretty viewing and I think it would be worth changing formation back to 451 for the Czech game and see if there is a difference in performance. Only good thing about tonight is we have a chance to correct our mistakes. 

I'm probably the happiest Scotland fan tonight.

I'm absolutely over the moon! As I said earlier, I don't care about the result or even the performance, I just wanted a change of system.

If anyone is demanding we go back to a four, we'll, they're demented. We play four at the back for 20 years with no success, and three only has one match? Right. Hopefully Steve Clarke sticks to his guns and keeps with the three.

So happy.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure but it wasn't pretty viewing and I think it would be worth changing formation back to 451 for the Czech game and see if there is a difference in performance. Only good thing about tonight is we have a chance to correct our mistakes. 

I'd agree with that. Turgid stuff and we can be really relieved to have got the draw.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

I'm absolutely over the moon! As I said earlier, I don't care about the result or even the performance, I just wanted a change of system.

If anyone is demanding we go back to a four, we'll, they're demented. We play four at the back for 20 years with no success, and three only has one match? Right. Hopefully Steve Clarke sticks to his guns and keeps with the three.

So happy.

Why don't you fuck off.

Hope any of you who paid for a photo of yourself on a seat tonight get your money back! Just noticed during the post match analysis they’ve been stuck in the bt stand completely out of shot of the tv cameras 🤣🤣 that just sums the SFA up

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Ryan Christie is a thief.

Not to blame for being called up or picked, but I've ever understood the hype about him.

Stuart Armstrong is by some distance the more cerebral and disciplined player.

How clueless are you. He’s was one of our better players tonight and has been in the last few games. 

Tierney, Jack and Dykes were positives I thought along with McKenna who looked more solid than I’ve seen him in a long time. 

McTominay played some great passes out of defence,  but positionally found wanting on a few occasions. 

Christie’s energy is a real asset as well, just a bit too frantic at times causing him to make frustrating errors..... much like McGinn.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why are you delighted Taylor1996?

Playing your system we drew against a team we beat two years ago playing a different system in a match then that we looked far more potent in attack and scored more goals. 

Don’t feed the troll mate!

Funking shite. Perhaps its always that bad but the crowd make it seem much better

Jeezo. 10 or 15 yrs ago we had a much poorer team on paper, a couple of decent players but most making up numbers. Now we have a substantial number of Premier league players and other "top" players . It really hasn't improved at all . I'd prefer to watch the lower league triers of 10 years ago

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Playing your system we drew against a team we beat two years ago playing a different system in a match then that we looked far more potent in attack and scored more goals. 

...and last time we played 3 at the back we lost to Israel.

1 minute ago, GSbraveheart said:

How clueless are you. He’s was one of our better players tonight and has been in the last few games. 

Not clueless at all - penalty apart, what did he seriously contribute tonight? Forrest too?

Ryan Jack was excellent tonight and got four-fifths of bugger all from those in front of him.

And I ain't no Sevco fan BTW.........

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Ryan Christie is a thief.

Not to blame for being called up or picked, but I've ever understood the hype about him.

Stuart Armstrong is by some distance the more cerebral and disciplined player.

You do know Ryan Christie has been involved in 7 goals in his last 7 games with 2 goals and 5 assists.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not clueless at all - penalty apart, what did he seriously contribute tonight? Forrest too?

Ryan Jack was excellent tonight and got four-fifths of bugger all from those in front of him.

To be fair to him he was the only Scotland player in the whole match who dribbled into penalty are, got to the by line and fired over a half decent cross in the second half. He was by no means as bad as McGregor and Forrest - not by a long way and was better than Robertson.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Christie should start every game. He is the most skillful we have got.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

So happy.

Happy about that performance, we were terrible, we have looked alot better in our games before tonight. Being happy about a formation change that produced that performance is demented. Pretty sure mcleish experimented with a 351 before and we looked poor. Same with tonight, it would be best to try and see if we can get a better performance with a 451 against the Czech republic. 

Do you think that this formation will yield results in the next couple of years if we stick to it? 

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Do you think that I expected us to win 10:0?

It's not a magic wand.

We are who we are. It's all about laying a foundation. If Steve Clarke sticks with this system, we'll have more success than we've had in the past 20 years.

Safe to say Clarke made an absolute rip roaring arse of it tonight. And we got a McLeish in Israel type performance.

We are not capable of playing 3-5-2 or the variation of it we played tonight:

1) We barely have any competent centre backs
2) None of our players are capable of playing wing back effectively
3) It stunts our attacking players and stops their effectiveness

No one needed to see tonight's game to know that, we learned it two years back. So why did our management team think that it was a sensible plan?

Gordon Strachan and Malky MacKay (yes Malky, you read it right) both came up with effective answers for Robertson and Tierney - Robertson is left back and Tierney either plays right back or left centre back in a back 4. It doesn't need to be overcomplicated if you want both to play.

Not that it excuses the players who once again gave the "we don't give a toss" performance that we have been served up so often since the start of 2018.

Callum McGregor is hopeless for Scotland, Strachan was correct not to play him. He contributes very little positive to our play. Forrest is another who is an imposter. Both are grand for thumping Hamilton Accies but they are very limited.

McGinn wasn't match fit, McTominay is not a centre back as shown quite often tonight, Jack was OK but nothing more.

Andy Robertson is very limited positionally, unable to play anywhere else but left back. It has to be said his performances for Scotland since the start of 2018 have been nothing short of shite, consistently shite. Greg Taylor has been better, quite comfortably so.

Fair play to Lyndon Dykes who worked hard for no return, Ryan Christie who tried a lot but didn't get much payout, Scott McKenna and Kieran Tierney who both played fine.

Ultimately Clarke really does need to look at himself tonight, question why he moved away from 4-2-3-1 and also question his faith in certain players who more often than not fail to perform. Perhaps also reflect on what Strachan or MacKay did with Robertson and Tierney. Our fans are drifting away into disinterest generally and stuff like tonight cannot be tolerated.

Where has our creativity gone??  In the Euro16 and WC18 qualifiers at least we would be entertaining and create chances.  We seem much more solid but are doing absolutly nothing in the final third.  The amount of times we pass backwards in the last 5-6 games is very frustating.

Steve Clarke has made us more compact, but we havent done anything offensively against Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Russia or Israel.  Very turgid to watch.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

You do know that he took a penalty - brilliantly - tonight against Israel.

And created fuck all otherwise?

He was our best player on the park. If you're not happy with his performance then you must be seething with the rest