Scotland starting XI vs Israel - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Israel

Taylor1996

I generally hate being negative but tonight I can't help it. We were lucky to get a draw there and that was with a very strong team out on the pitch. McGregor was AWOL, Forrest ineffective and the urge to get into their box was not there. A step backwards. Was it the formation? Was it the attitude? Was it the performance levels?

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Robertson was also piss poor again. 

Agreed.

I'd say its a bi-product that he normally plays in a team full of players generally far more dynamic in attack with far better attacking players making the runs for him. Plus Liverpool have teams on the back foot so Robertson can exploit that. Not us.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Well, I can't argue with that.  But I think there are tweaks needed, not wholesale changes. Tierney has been excellent and is our best player. McTominay's never a centre back and I'd drop McGregor.

I agree, there's potential in this system - particularly given we have seven/eight more matches before the end of the year. Players' understanding of the system will improve.

The player selection does need to be looked at, especially within this system - Forrest at wing-back and McTominay at centre-back are experiments I don't want to see again, personally. I'd have Fleck ahead of McGregor for the Czech game.

Really poor. We played like we were away.

We didn't create one chance, or have a shot on goal.

No urgency, nor sadly, good enough players to make something happen. We were severely flattered by getting the penalty before half time.

Robertson was poor again. Tierney was excellent. I thought McKenna did alright.

Dykes played very well. Considering he was working his arse off with very little support or help, he did very well and already looks a better player than McBurnie for Scotland - nice wee touches, clever fouls, knock downs, one or two things didn't pay off, but did well.

It's going to be extremely hard to qualify. Israel were way off the boil although maybe Herzog quitting has given them a good shake. Both teams were poor overall, and whoever ends up meeting Serbia or Norway going on that will probably go out.

Saying that, Norway lost 2-1 at home to Austria and Russia beat Serbia 3-1 yesterday, so you'd imagine Israel are probably the happiest out of the lot of us in the playoffs.

Now to watch us put in another honking display on Monday and a 2-0 defeat.

20 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It's not been the most exciting game but there's positives from this. 

Only positive was Israel didn’t have the balls to go for the jugular! That was utter pish! 
Don’t think the formation was the problem it’s just the players were pish on the night, they had no ideas how to break down a stubborn defence

If we somehow manage to fluke our way to the finals next year it will be an embarrassment if we come up against a top class side.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

I agree, there's potential in this system - particularly given we have seven/eight more matches before the end of the year. Players' understanding of the system will improve.

The player selection does need to be looked at, especially within this system - Forrest at wing-back and McTominay at centre-back are experiments I don't want to see again, personally. I'd have Fleck ahead of McGregor for the Czech game.

I didn't see any potential in the formation tonight. Tierney had a good game but apart from that we looked poor. The players don't look comfortable in 351. Hopefully this game was an experiment and Clarke can learn from it. I reckon Tierney could play centre back based on tonights showing. 

1 minute ago, weekevie04 said:

Really poor. We played like we were away.

We didn't create one chance, or have a shot on goal.

No urgency, nor sadly, good enough players to make something happen. We were severely flattered by getting the penalty before half time.

Robertson was poor again. Tierney was excellent. I thought McKenna did alright.

Dykes played very well. Considering he was working his arse off with very little support or help, he did very well and already looks a better player than McBurnie for Scotland - nice wee touches, clever fouls, knock downs, one or two things didn't pay off, but did well.

It's going to be extremely hard to qualify. Israel were way off the boil although maybe Herzog quitting has given them a good shake. Both teams were poor overall, and whoever ends up meeting Serbia or Norway going on that will probably go out.

Saying that, Norway lost 2-1 at home to Austria and Russia beat Serbia 3-1 yesterday, so you'd imagine Israel are probably the happiest out of the lot of us in the playoffs.

Now to watch us put in another honking display on Monday and a 2-0 defeat.

Austria are a good side.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I didn't see any potential in the formation tonight. Tierney had a good game but apart from that we looked poor. The players don't look comfortable in 351. Hopefully this game was an experiment and Clarke can learn from it. I reckon Tierney could play centre back based on tonights showing. 

Yes I am in two minds about the formation. Was it that formation that made us so toothless in attack?

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Austria are a good side.

They are, and they no doubt would beat us.

The only positive about tonight is the other 'big two' lost as well. Albeit against much better sides.

We might sneak through against Israel next month, but November is going to be a tough watch, and I think our only chance is probably doing a 'Coleraine' and shitting out a penalty shoot out and winning it.

Usually like to stay positive but that was horrendous tonight.

Thought Dykes worked hard and done his job well but received absolutely nothing in return. Bringing Burke on, out of position for the only natural striker in the squad who looked half decent was questionable to say the least.

McGinn and Tierney looked okay considering they were out of position, Jack and McKenna probably get pass marks, felt a bit sorry for McTominay, definitely not a centre half.

McGregor, Forrest, Robertson and Christie managed to create a grand total of 0 chances in 90 minutes.

Robertson looks a completely different player when he’s in a Scotland shirt, need to stop trying to shoe horn players in, I’d be raging if I was Tierney.

Fleck and Armstrong must be looking at that Midfield and scratching their heads.

Worrying watch really...

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I am in two minds about the formation. Was it that formation that made us so toothless in attack?

No.

For all this nonsense about us being strong in midfield, we're absolutely woeful in midfield. Jack isn't very good and McGregor is the master of passing it sideways and back.

The sooner Gilmour progresses, the better.

1 minute ago, Eassy said:

Usually like to stay positive but that was horrendous tonight.

Thought Dykes worked hard and done his job well but received absolutely nothing in return. Bringing Burke on, out of position for the only natural striker in the squad who looked half decent was questionable to say the least.

McGinn and Tierney looked okay considering they were out of position, Jack and McKenna probably get pass marks, felt a bit sorry for McTominay, definitely not a centre half.

McGregor, Forrest, Robertson and Christie managed to create a grand total of 0 chances in 90 minutes.

Robertson looks a completely different player when he’s in a Scotland shirt, need to stop trying to shoe horn players in, I’d be raging if I was Tierney.

Fleck and Armstrong must be looking at that Midfield and scratching their heads.

Worrying watch really...

I'd agree with much of that but thought Christie did well at times.