Teams Ryan Fraser could have signed for - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Teams Ryan Fraser could have signed for

ceudmilefailte

Seems to have taken over the actual real  transfers thread

aaid said he could think of 12 clubs of the top of his head bigger than Newcastle in the UK

I could only find 10

Man utd

Liverpool

Celtic

Arsenal

Chelsea

Leeds

Rangers

Tottenham

Aston Villa

Man city

Could make a case for Forest of Everton I guess.

I have listed them in the correct order to avoid disputes or needless arguments

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

aaid said he could think of 12 clubs of the top of his head bigger than Newcastle in the UK

I could only find 10

Man utd

Liverpool

Celtic

Arsenal

Chelsea

Leeds

Rangers

Tottenham

Aston Villa

Man city

Assuming this is based on attendances as you've listed a club with zero honours. Or a dead club. Either way, it's flawed.

The argument seems to be whether fraser moving there is a step up from Bournemouth. I would say it is a step up as Newcastle are a far bigger club and have expectations of performing well in the epl and winning a trophy whereas Bournemouth are just looking to avoid relegation(when they were there) and have historically been a lower league club. Its maybe not the likes of arsenal or Tottenham that he was hoping for but its defo a step up from Bournemouth. 

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I could only find 10

Man utd

Liverpool

Celtic

Arsenal

Chelsea

Leeds

Rangers

Tottenham

Aston Villa

Man city

Everton self evidently are a bigger club than Newcastle.   I’d also make a case for Leicester in recent years and that’s your dozen. 

Based on where they currently sit and their potential, Sheffield United, Wolves and Burnley would be better moves for him as well. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The argument seems to be whether fraser moving there is a step up from Bournemouth. I would say it is a step up as Newcastle are a far bigger club and have expectations of performing well in the epl and winning a trophy whereas Bournemouth are just looking to avoid relegation(when they were there) and have historically been a lower league club. Its maybe not the likes of arsenal or Tottenham that he was hoping for but its defo a step up from Bournemouth. 

Unrealistic expectations considering they last won a top flight trophy in 1969. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Talk is today that he has agreed personal terms with Newcastle, but is stalling on signing as he thinks something better might come along

What an arrogant wee fuck he is.

Who the hell does he think will come in for him at this stage ? Liverpool ? Inter Milan ? Barcelona ?

44 minutes ago, aaid said:

Everton self evidently are a bigger club than Newcastle.   I’d also make a case for Leicester in recent years and that’s your dozen. 

Based on where they currently sit and their potential, Sheffield United, Wolves and Burnley would be better moves for him as well. 

Leicester are not bigger than Newcastle but would of been a better move for fraser, I don't see how Burnley or sheff United would be better moves, they might have had decent seasons but they tend to be lower end epl clubs or lower league level. Long term I can't see both clubs maintaining consistent top half finishes, infact both teams are likely to be in a relegation fight next season. Wolves look like they will continue their good progress and they would defo be a better move imo. All about opinions Tbf. 

14 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I prefer the term 'realist'.

A boring realist maybe?

Rangers as they are just now are still miles bigger than whatever club you support and most clubs in the UK.

Unless you’re a Celtic fan?  If you are I take it all back. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Leicester are not bigger than Newcastle but would of been a better move for fraser, I don't see how Burnley or sheff United would be better moves, they might have had decent seasons but they tend to be lower end epl clubs or lower league level. Long term I can't see both clubs maintaining consistent top half finishes, infact both teams are likely to be in a relegation fight next season. Wolves look like they will continue their good progress and they would defo be a better move imo. All about opinions Tbf. 

Cant argue with any of that looks spot on

I hope he joins Leeds, the dressing room ghosts of Billy Bremner and Norman Hunter will soon sort him out

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don’t think there’s much between Newcastle and Leicester to be fair.  Newcastle are an odd sort of club, this relatively large support is a reasonably new thing and is a function of the rebuilding of St James Park. Good luck to them for doing that but it wasn’t always the case.  Leicester have certainly been a lot more successful - although that applies to pretty munch everyone - in recent years, have more stable ownership, a much better squad and a better manager. No real doubt in my mind they are streets ahead right now. 

Wolves and Burnley are two clubs on the up with good young managers with a reputation for improving players, solid squads and teams who will be looking to finish in the top half at a minimum and have decent cup runs.  Sheffield United could also fit into that category but that depends on them repeating - or at least coming close to that in their second season. 

I’d say - assuming similar deals - that 9/10 players who had a choice of signing for one of them or Newcastle would *not* go to Tyneside. 

18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What an arrogant wee fuck he is.

Who the hell does he think will come in for him at this stage ? Liverpool ? Inter Milan ? Barcelona ?

As much as he comes across as really selfish lad, he is very talented and a free transfer, so I imagine has huge amount of people talking to him from various clubs right now. Probably not Inter or Barca though. 

This thread is interesting, first of all he wasn't offered anything else so he could not have signed for any of those, and second of all, none of us know the circumstance with the Newcastle deal so all of the judgement being thrown his way that he is holding out for anything better is wild conjecture. For any of us really know, even the Newcastle thing might be bunk, it could be his agent trying to get his player signed up somewhere or not, it could all be nothing and just no-one is interested enough to make an offer to him. 

Edited by romanticscot