Scotland squad - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Palmer and O'Donnell are both pretty poor and a couple of decent performances against sub standard opposition doesn't make the former a decent player. Fed up saying it but Paterson, whether he plays there or not is as good as we have in that position. I would prefer we played a good all round footballer there than either of those two . Probably try any of our right footed midfielders that don't make the eleven. Doubt if Forrest would be any worse at right back.

Apart from his first game Palmer hasn’t been that bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather have a better player at RB but I’m not sure we’ve got one.

Paterson has done ok for us at RB but there’s no way Clarke will play him there or he’d have been in the squad ahead of Palmer and O’Donnell. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Ewan Urain! 
Tried to get an article translated -

Urain is a good-looking forward (1.92 tall), capable of mastering all aspects of the more traditional 9. He knows how to fix the centrals, forcing rivals to keep two or even three men close to him to keep him under control. Despite his great height, he does not finish dominating the aerial game. He wins a little more than half of his aerial duels, but does not take advantage of them In other words, the ball tends to go out of control, with no possibilities for their teammates to fight a second play or run into space chasing an extension. He has a good back game, knows how to protect the ball with his body and moves well in the area. It is also fast and powerful when it goes into space. Something more than a nine of before But its virtues are not reduced to that. What stands out the most when he is seen on the pitch is his mobility without the ball. He knows how to move intelligently to give support or to drag rivals and generate spaces. Also, do not

Despite all that has been said, he still has many things to improve. He has quality when it comes to controlling the ball and he is correct in the first touches, but he must work on the passes and on the shots. It gives the feeling that he does not finish deciding well when he is in front of the rival goal, a situation that is generated with some regularity thanks to his instinct in the area. At the time of passing, the shipments are not entirely good and some advantage is lost in specific actions. What is certain, after watching the few games he played last year and the 45 minutes he had in Las Gaunas, is that he is an interesting footballer. A player different from what Garitano has in his squad and who will have to be watched for the future.

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Paterson has done ok for us at RB but there’s no way Clarke will play him there or he’d have been in the squad ahead of Palmer and O’Donnell. 

He should have been picked ahead of them taking into account the nations league games (not sure how many squads he has been left out of other than all of them}. I'm trying to think of decent team performance since then and therefore since Clarke took over.

I honestly thought Clarke and Paterson had fallen out or that Paterson had "retired" from international football after the needless injury in San Marino.

I am beginning to think you have way too much belief in Clarkes ability.  Give him time is fair enough but I doubt he will get the best out of what is probably the best group of players we have had in ages

As a side point Paterson is three years younger than Palmer or O'donnell.

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He should have been picked ahead of them taking into account the nations league games (not sure how many squads he has been left out of other than all of them}. I'm trying to think of decent team performance since then and therefore since Clarke took over.

I honestly thought Clarke and Paterson had fallen out or that Paterson had "retired" from international football after the needless injury in San Marino.

I am beginning to think you have way too much belief in Clarkes ability.  Give him time is fair enough but I doubt he will get the best out of what is probably the best group of players we have had in ages

As a side point Paterson is three years younger than Palmer or O'donnell.

I can see why Clarke wouldn’t pick Paterson to play at RB - he hasn’t played there regularly for years. I’m sure Clarke only played him there because we had injury problems in that position. 

I am yet to be convinced that Clarke will achieve anything with Scotland but he’s done OK so far with the players at his disposal. Finishing third in the horrible group we had last time was never a certainty. Whether he can do any better than OK remains to be seen but what manager who would be willing to take the job would? 

I was actually surprised when I read Paterson was 25 yesterday. I thought he was a few years older than that. 

Is it only me that doesn't really rate Palmer? He has done OK against the smaller sides, but looks way out of his depth, a bit like SOD does against bigger teams too.

No idea how good Dykes is, suppose we'll see considering our striking options.

We've got a very decent midfield, two fantastic left wingbacks. What we would give for a couple of excellent centre halves and for a goal scorer - McKenna is a carthorse ; Gallagher has actually done alright for us in his two games. A shame Shankland is out, but we'll hopefully soon see how good he is when he's fit again for United in the next few months in the Premiership.

28 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Is it only me that doesn't really rate Palmer? He has done OK against the smaller sides, but looks way out of his depth, a bit like SOD does against bigger teams too.

No idea how good Dykes is, suppose we'll see considering our striking options.

We've got a very decent midfield, two fantastic left wingbacks. What we would give for a couple of excellent centre halves and for a goal scorer - McKenna is a carthorse ; Gallagher has actually done alright for us in his two games. A shame Shankland is out, but we'll hopefully soon see how good he is when he's fit again for United in the next few months in the Premiership.

After the disaster in Kazakhstan I wanted him nowhere near the squad but he settled down after that and was decent in his other matches I thought.

He’s always going to look out of his depth against the big teams as, let’s face it, he’s a Sheffield Wednesday player. Our other options at RB play for Motherwell and Cardiff though so they’re not exactly streets ahead are they? Either that or we play Tierney there but most people wouldn’t want that. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I can see why Clarke wouldn’t pick Paterson to play at RB - he hasn’t played there regularly for years. I’m sure Clarke only played him there because we had injury problems in that position. 

I'm going to type some words that might not be accurate.Someone can correct me. 

Clarke has never picked Paterson, admittedly for his first squad he was coming back from injury but was on the Cardiff bench the week after his first squad he announced so Clarke would surely have know he was regaining his fitness.

Patterson has 12 caps under Strachan and McLeish and I assume they were all at right back. That's two far more experienced managers than Clarke.

Far too much is being read into Warnock's comments that Hearts had sold him a dud right back because he did very well in his first season as a right sided and attacking midfielder.

He might not be playing there any more but he wasn't when we beat Albania and Isreal either.

To say that a third place finish in our group was ok is one thing but I doubt if any third ranked team in other groups provided so little opposition to the top two ranked teams.

Disclaimer- I an not Patersons dad, agent or connected in any other manner

Edited by ceudmilefailte

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm going to type some words that might not be accurate.Someone can correct me. 

Clarke has never picked Paterson, admittedly for his first squad he was coming back from injury but was on the Cardiff bench the week after his first squad he announced so Clarke would surely have know he was regaining his fitness.

Patterson has 12 caps under Strachan and McLeish and I assume they were all at right back. That's two far more experienced managers than Clarke.

Far too much is being read into Warnock's comments that Hearts had sold him a dud right back because he did very well in his first season as a right sided and attacking midfielder.

He might not be playing there any more but he wasn't when we beat Albania and Isreal either.

Too say that a third place finish in our group was ok is one thing but I doubt if any third ranked team in other groups provided so little opposition to the top two ranked teams.

Disclaimer- I an not Patersons dad, agent or connected in any other manner

Yeah you’re right it was McLeish that played him at RB. It’s been that long since we’ve played I’m not sure of anything these days. 

I wouldn’t necessarily judge Paterson’s current ability as a right back on the games against Albania and Israel though. I could’ve played RB against Albania in that game and we’d still have won. I’m sure Paterson was caught out a few times by Grezda though if I remember correctly? Could be wrong.

Not that I am 100% against Paterson playing at RB but I would probably rather have someone in that position that plays there every week. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah you’re right it was McLeish that played him at RB. It’s been that long since we’ve played I’m not sure of anything these days. 

I wouldn’t necessarily judge Paterson’s current ability as a right back on the games against Albania and Israel though. I could’ve played RB against Albania in that game and we’d still have won. I’m sure Paterson was caught out a few times by Grezda though if I remember correctly? Could be wrong.

Not that I am 100% against Paterson playing at RB but I would probably rather have someone in that position that plays there every week. 

McLeish also played him at centre forward.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

McLeish also played him at centre forward.

I’m sure he’s played in that position for Cardiff more recently than he’s played at RB. 

Just shows how short McLeish was on options up front. Or shows how mad he was. Not sure which. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure he’s played in that position for Cardiff more recently than he’s played at RB. 

Just shows how short McLeish was on options up front. Or shows how mad he was. Not sure which. 

Think he only played twice as a right back in the championship

Played as a striker in the EPL and scored goals, plays there all the time now I think.. Hasn't played right back in donkeys but that doesn't mean he isn't better than the others we have available.

Perhaps McLeish was a visionary playing him up front before he came an EPL Striker.!

I wouldn't really have a problem playing Patterson anywhere. He's no better or worse than the rest of the players (apart from Tierney and Roberson). He might be suspect at the back, but so is Gallagher, McKenna and Cooper.

About Dykes, I read recently that he played Aussie Football in his youth. Having watched that sport, if that's his playing style, I'm guessing he'll get no change from foreign referees. 

Manchester United have bought Donny Van De Beek. Not a good sigh of things to come for McTominay. Guessing Scott will go even further down the pecking order.

Edited by Taylor1996

I take it Ryan Fredericks has turned us down if he isn't named in the squad. I know Karamoko Dembele has basically settled for England but does anyone know if his brother is Siriki Dembele is eligible? What a player he could turn out to be

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Always felt he might not cut it at Man U... felt he was more a mid table prem club(appreciate Man U are that just now)

The thing with McTominay is that his main attribute is taking the ball and carrying it forward, the reason he has never played well alongside Pogba is because that's Pogba's job.

United fans are wanting McTominay to learn from Matic, but it's easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

I wouldn't really have a problem playing Patterson anywhere. He's no better or worse than the rest of the players (apart from Tierney and Roberson). He might be suspect at the back, but so is Gallagher, McKenna and Cooper.

About Dykes, I read recently that he played Aussie Football in his youth. Having watched that sport, if that's his playing style, I'm guessing he'll get no change from foreign referees. 

Manchester United have bought Donny Van De Beek. Not a good sigh of things to come for McTominay. Guessing Scott will go even further down the pecking order.

Cooper isn't suspect at all,  hes just captained and led Leeds back to the EPL , no comparison with the other 2 you've mentioned . A certain starter 

3 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Cooper isn't suspect at all,  hes just captained and led Leeds back to the EPL , no comparison with the other 2 you've mentioned . A certain starter 

In fairness to me, I haven't seen much of Leeds. I know the manager, he's a top, top manager. If Bielsa rates Cooper, and has him as the captain, I'll gladly reserve judgment.

It'll be interesting to see how Cooper does in the upcoming season.

1 hour ago, Rohan said:

I know Karamoko Dembele has basically settled for England but does anyone know if his brother is Siriki Dembele is eligible? What a player he could turn out to be

Am sure he's eligible. Born in the Ivory Coast but the majority of his early years and education in Scotland. Isn't there s younger one at Celtic? He was born in Scotland I believe.

Anyway, he's being linked with West Brom isn't he? Must be on Malky's radar you'd assume.

2 hours ago, Rohan said:

I take it Ryan Fredericks has turned us down if he isn't named in the squad. I know Karamoko Dembele has basically settled for England but does anyone know if his brother is Siriki Dembele is eligible? What a player he could turn out to be

Ryan Fredericks is a curious one.

He's 27 years old. England have TAA, Wan-Bissaka, Trippier and Walker in front of him, and yet he still doesn't want to play for Scotland.

I respect him for that. For not choosing Scotland as a last resort.

Edited by Taylor1996

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Picking players who really want to be there is half the battle for Clarke. OK so pride and passion for playing for your country can only take you so far but it has been proven time and again that players that can’t be arsed playing for Scotland never seem to perform well for us (when they bother turning up at all). 

I actually quite like Paterson for the fact he is versatile and we get so many call offs that he can be used in a good few positions. It’s a shame he’s not a decent centre half. 

Scotland currently are where Wales were in the late 2000s. Constant injuries and players not bothered about turning up and just semi retiring.

Gary Speed coming in changed the culture and Coleman continued it. Now looking at their squad Gunter has 96 caps, Ben Davies 52, Bale 83, Ramsey before he withdrew had 60 and Ashley Williams had 86. Even a back up like Robson Kanu has 44 caps.

Same with Northern Ireland. Jonny Evans (84 caps), Cathcart (50), Steven Davis with 117 and still going at 35.

Joint most caps in Scotland team for outfield players are Robbo and James Forrest with 34 caps each. Forrest will be 30 next summer.

Just hope Stevie Clarke will be the first manager in a long while to change the atmosphere around the squad and make the whole international break a more worthwhile experience so players break their necks to get to the camp from their clubs like Welsh and Northern Ireland players do.

43 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Ryan Fredericks is a curious one.

He's 27 years old. England have TAA, Wan-Bissaka, Trippier and Walker in front of him, and yet he still doesn't want to play for Scotland.

I respect him for that. For not choosing Scotland as a last resort.

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. Fredericks would be a really good addition to the squad based on his profile e.g. a right back who actually plays regularly at a good standard and he's also very quick so would add more pace but no point him just choosing Scotland if it's just to get him better contracts in the future like you suspect a few other U.K players have done in the past to get them a better wage.

58 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. Fredericks would be a really good addition to the squad based on his profile e.g. a right back who actually plays regularly at a good standard and he's also very quick so would add more pace but no point him just choosing Scotland if it's just to get him better contracts in the future like you suspect a few other U.K players have done in the past to get them a better wage.

Totally.

He would be a great addition. He has my respect for not choosing us out of desperation.