Scotland squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

49 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Shankland being in is a surprise as he hasn't played any football this season. Maybe close to fitness. Only three centre halves and three left backs so looks like one of the LB will play somewhere else. Feel  abit sorry or Taylor as he needs two others to be injured before getting  a game in his favourite position.

Don’t feel sorry for him. 

Am glad Dykes is in. Gives us an option to play a certain “style” and is at an age where he will hopefully improve. We’ll see.

Thought we might see that Olympiakos keeper called up. Am not sure if Greece is on the quarantine list, but it would have been nice if a journo asked Clarke about it so we could hear what he may be thinking.

Does anyone know if the Czech or Israeli clubs are playing competitively at the moment? 

4 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Am glad Dykes is in. Gives us an option to play a certain “style” and is at an age where he will hopefully improve. We’ll see.

Thought we might see that Olympiakos keeper called up. Am not sure if Greece is on the quarantine list, but it would have been nice if a journo asked Clarke about it so we could hear what he may be thinking.

Does anyone know if the Czech or Israeli clubs are playing competitively at the moment? 

Czech league was back at the weekend after a months pre-season. 

Only glanced, but a lot of Slavia Prague players in team, and I think they won 6-0 at the weekend. 

I do not think there has really been any serious consideration for Alain to be called up.... just the papers putting a kind of feel good story together of a Scottish player playing outside of Scotland for a well known name in Europan football.... nothing really more than that (he looked very nervy v Wolves)

Edited by wanderer

15 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It will be a very interesting starting XI.

I'd be tempted with -

McLaughlin

Gallagher     McKenna     Tierney

Forrest     McTominay     McGregor     Robertson

McGinn

McBurnie     Dykes

I was somewhat horrified to see Gallagher demolished for pace on Sportscene. Back up.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd be tempted with -

McLaughlin

McGinn

McBurnie     Dykes

Am I guilty of over rating Christie but is a 100% fit and game sharp Christie not better than McGinn at this stage of the season?

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Forgot about Russell. Harsh to leave him out, he’s been on form for Kansas. 

Something to do with quarantine rules because he lives in the US.  He'd have probably made the squad otherwise.

The only two surprises for me are Shankland's inclusion, considering he's been injured since the first game of the season, and no Stuart Findlay.  Pretty much as expected, otherwise.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am I guilty of over rating Christie but is a 100% fit and game sharp Christie not better than McGinn at this stage of the season?

Possibly but McGinn is our in-form player based solely on the last internationals. 

Some nice decisions for the manager to make. 

38 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Possibly but McGinn is our in-form player based solely on the last internationals. 

Some nice decisions for the manager to make. 

Id play christie on the wing instead of forrest. Tierney on the left wing simce fraser cant be bothered again

I really do despair reading online comments on Scotland squad selections (elsewhere on the web) these days from people claiming to be followers of the national team.

"Lyndon who ? I've never heard of him. So he must be pish."

"Why did he leave out Alan McGregor ?"

"Where's Ritchie and Snodgrass ?"

:banghead:

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I really do despair reading online comments on Scotland squad selections (elsewhere on the web) these days from people claiming to be followers of the national team.

And that's just the sports writers. :lol:

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Something to do with quarantine rules because he lives in the US.  He'd have probably made the squad otherwise.

The only two surprises for me are Shankland's inclusion, considering he's been injured since the first game of the season, and no Stuart Findlay.  Pretty much as expected, otherwise.

did you see his howler v St Johnstone?  I trhink Clarke might have...... 

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pretty happy with that squad given the circumstances. I think given Clarke will stick with a 442 but a 352 wouldn't be the worst idea. Mcburnie certainly plays better in a two for his club plus Tierney can play well in a back three as shown with arsenal. 

Has Clarke ever picked a 4-4-2 Scotland team? 

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just stick til reading my well informed posts. 

Guest ElChris04

I’m happy with that team overall, bar O’Donell, personally wouldn’t have him near the team, don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough. 

Also, delighted to see Dykes has chosen Scotland as his allegiance. 

As much as j am a fan of the 4 at the back. That squad looks very much a 3 at the back type team, aswell as getting the best out McBurnie in a 2 ST formation.

so I’d go with something like this 

McLaughlin 

Gallagher-Cooper-Tierney 

Forrest--McTominay-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn                   

Dykes-McBurnie 

Edited by ElChris04

Guest ElChris04
3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd be tempted with -

McLaughlin

McGinn

McBurnie     Dykes

Near identical, but I’d have Cooper in, our best natural positioned CB by a Good distance. 

I think if he goes with 3 at the back he’ll try Palmer at RCB. He’s played there for Sheffield Wednesday and Clarke seems to like him. The only right sided centre back in Gallagher. 

Could be Palmer - Cooper - Tierney. 

But if he wants to make sure we have an aerial ball winner he’ll make sure McKenna or Gallagher will play. 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Quite right.

There's strength in numbers, therefore, load up the defence, load up the middle of midfield and load up the striking positions.

3-5-2 IS the way forward. 

I'm not sure a straight forward 3-5-2 is necessarily the solution, as having 2 unproven strikers means you have to sacrifice 1 of our great midfield options. (Unless you play McGinn or Christie as 1 of the 2 strikers)

3 at the back with wingers certainly seems to be more obvious now than it once was. Celtic often play that way, so 3 or 4 starters will be used to it. And Tierney has played in a back 3 a few times for Arsenal, so that simplifies that dillemma. Especially since Fraser won't be on the left, and Robertson can take that role (assuming he is okay with it)

14 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

I’m happy with that team overall, bar O’Donell, personally wouldn’t have him near the team, don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough. 

Palmer is a poor player for a team that finished 16th in the Championship. We should probably have gone with no right backs. Would sooner see Forrest, Robertson, Mctominay, Tierney, Christie, Fleck, Jack,Armstrong McGinn, Taylor or  Burke, (well he's fast and right footed) play there. So that's 10 outfield players I would think might be better at right back

Fact that Palmer looked good against too very poor international teams does not make him an international class player. He's never been much more than an average left back or a poor right back in the championship.