Scotland squad - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We beat Israel the last time we played them at Hampden so I’m not sure why you think they’ll beat us this time. They may well do but Scotland are favourites and we have a good chance. 

Czechs will be tough. They are a decent side. A draw would probably be a good result from that game. 

We should beat them but the Squad announcement just made me look and see how poor we are overall. Think I've just lost the blind faith. No doubt by this time tomorrow I'll be buzzing and have us down for a 3-0 win....

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

The Nations League was brought in to eradicate friendlies. So, in my view, these matches are glories friendlies. Yes, they may qualify you for the European Championships, but i'd rather do it the old fashioned way.

These are free-hits.

The Nations League matches are very important as the final standings are used to determine the seeding pots for the European Championship Qualifiers in the relevant years.

If we can stay in League B (or even gain promotion to League A) for the next two Nations Leagues we will have a decent shout at pot 2 which could be huge for our hopes of getting to Euro 2024.

I think the World Rankings are still used to determine the pots for the World Cup qualifiers but the only way we are going to improve our ranking is by performing well in the Nations League (and hopefully the European Championship next summer). 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Nations League matches. 

The Nations League is a tournament in its own right. 

Yes and the whole point is to qualify for the next level, and eventually win the tournament . 

By default they are Qualifiers. 

OK we wont win it but all Pro's have the self belief in their own ability to believe it is possible.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Yes and the whole point is to qualify for the next level, and eventually win the tournament . 

By default they are Qualifiers. 

OK we wont win it but all Pro's have the self belief in their own ability to believe it is possible.

You can call them qualifiers if you like but that’s not what they are.

39 minutes ago, Kirk said:

We should beat them but the Squad announcement just made me look and see how poor we are overall. Think I've just lost the blind faith. No doubt by this time tomorrow I'll be buzzing and have us down for a 3-0 win....

I wouldn’t say this squad is any weaker than any squad we’ve had over the last couple of years. 

Very few call offs for a change. I remember a squad not long ago when we barely had a centre half or a striker. Tierney hasn’t been involved for a couple of years as well so it’s good to have him back.

I think we are in a better position to beat Israel than we were the last time we beat them. I’m not sure what their squad is like right enough so they might be stronger as well. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You can call them qualifiers if you like but that’s not what they are.

FIFA World Cup link[edit]

Main article: FIFA World Cup qualification § Europe

The Nations League will be partially linked with European qualification for the FIFA World Cup. The qualifying structure will depend on results from the Nations League, although to a lesser degree than is done for the UEFA European Championship qualifying play-offs. The ten group winners after the first round (group stage) will qualify directly for the World Cup. Then, the second round (play-offs) will be contested by the ten group runners-up, along with the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The play-offs will be split into three play-off paths, played in two single-match knockout rounds (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), from which an additional three teams will also qualify.[13]

Heavy use of the words qualify and qualifying there. So yes these are a form of qualifiers 

It's funny last nations league you said it was our best chance of qualifying.

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t say this squad is any weaker than any squad we’ve had over the last couple of years. 

Very few call offs for a change. I remember a squad not long ago when we barely had a centre half or a striker. Tierney hasn’t been involved for a couple of years as well so it’s good to have him back.

I think we are in a better position to beat Israel than we were the last time we beat them. I’m not sure what their squad is like right enough so they might be stronger as well. 

It's maybe just the lack of experience, coupled with an untried forward (which might end up being a good thing) and then the fact Mctominy who everyone is so keen on has barley kicked a ball since the return. We shall see, Im glad other people seem quite positive

47 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

FIFA World Cup link[edit]

Main article: FIFA World Cup qualification § Europe

The Nations League will be partially linked with European qualification for the FIFA World Cup. The qualifying structure will depend on results from the Nations League, although to a lesser degree than is done for the UEFA European Championship qualifying play-offs. The ten group winners after the first round (group stage) will qualify directly for the World Cup. Then, the second round (play-offs) will be contested by the ten group runners-up, along with the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The play-offs will be split into three play-off paths, played in two single-match knockout rounds (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), from which an additional three teams will also qualify.[13]

Heavy use of the words qualify and qualifying there. So yes these are a form of qualifiers 

It's funny last nations league you said it was our best chance of qualifying.

These matches are Nations League matches. Yes, you could potentially qualify for the World Cup by virtue of winning your NL group and getting into the playoffs but that doesn’t mean these games should be referred to as qualifiers. You could win all your Nations league matches and get nowhere near the playoffs. World Cup qualification is not the point of this competition.

World Cup 2022 qualification is a distinct event which will begin in March 2021.

We could qualify for the euros by winning 2 playoff matches next month. Would you refer to these as qualifiers as well? Technically you could but would you?

If we make the finals next summer would you call our match against England a qualifier because we might qualify for the second round if we win it? 

You can call the Nations League matches qualifiers if you want but it seems a bit odd to me. To each his own though as they say. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Speaking to a pal in Czech Republic he is of the view that the Czech's ain't as good as they were and that it wouldn't be any surprise if they don't win the group.

As with Poland all their best players play abroad. Result is that domestic game is poor with little interest from the public. International team also don't get the juices going.

12 minutes ago, marinello said:

Speaking to a pal in Czech Republic he is of the view that the Czech's ain't as good as they were and that it wouldn't be any surprise if they don't win the group.

As with Poland all their best players play abroad. Result is that domestic game is poor with little interest from the public. International team also don't get the juices going.

Czech Republic 3 - Scotland 0 it is then :unsure:

On 9/3/2020 at 9:09 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

You like every one of your previous reincarnations, have lost plot.

Naming boys who haven't played a minute of senior football but wanting them called up for the full national side?

You aren't thinking outside the box, you are just talking nonsense, as usual for attention.

Quite sad really. Especially when you go in the huff when you get called out for it and come back a few months later under a new username with the same nonsense.

I'm pretty sure that the senior players will be gutted that some wee weirdo on TAMN thinks they are embarrassing.

Neco Williams has played 6 games for Liverpool (3 starts) and he scored the winner for Wales against Bulgaria.

Edited by Taylor1996

On 9/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, Texas Pete said:

We beat Israel the last time we played them at Hampden so I’m not sure why you think they’ll beat us this time. They may well do but Scotland are favourites and we have a good chance. 

Czechs will be tough. They are a decent side. A draw would probably be a good result from that game. 

Well I wasnt quite right but expecting to win was a bit much haha. Dire performance

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t say I was expecting to win. I said we had a good chance and we did, even with a poor performance. 

Haha I was joking, it was fucking awful though. I ended up pished all weekends to didn't make it on here

On 9/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Correct.

I would. Why do we always have to put road blocks on things and never think outside the box?

Javier Mascherano played for the full Argentina team, two week later he made his debut with River Plate. Alex Iwobi made his debut for Nigeria before he played for Arsenal. Liverpool's Harry Wilson played for Wales in 2013, he made his first league appearance on loan to Crew in 2015.

I'd actually look at lads like Kai Naismith, McPake, King, Morrison, Hickey, Barry Hepburn, Reagan Thomson, Mochrie, Hanratty, etc.

Having watched the u17s and u19s over the past 12 months. The lads in those groups are light years ahead of the current crop of seniors, in terms of technical ability and football intelligence.

This crop of senior players, apart from three or four, are quite frankly, embarrassing.

I'll reiterate every single word.

The Scotland u17 and u19 are tactically and technically better than their senior equivalent.

These players are an embarrassment. 

Watching this match is akin to watching a primary school football match.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The Scotland u17 and u19 are tactically and technically better than their senior equivalent.

Aye, I know... funny how many of them are epl players though.  Problem is confidence... no confidence in the system and a manager playing a midfielder at centre half.  I remember brown playing mcstay at centre half and we looked awful.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Aye, I know... funny how many of them are epl players though.  Problem is confidence... no confidence in the system and a manager playing a midfielder at centre half.  I remember brown playing mcstay at centre half and we looked awful.

Playing for glorified Championship teams, though.

We have two players in the top 6 of the EPL.

1 minute ago, Burj_Alba said:

Ok criticising, but is there anyone who could be brought in for the Israel match next month.  Shankland, McBurnie but who else?

I don't care what anyone says.

I would retire most of the squad and accelerate the u21/19/17 into the full squad.

These players have zero bottle, skill or technical ability.

21 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We have the players, we just dont have a means to play our best in the best way, so for now Tierney and Robertson dont start together.  

I would happy play Tierney left wing. Not like forrest plays well and fraser never turns up. Tierney has a good cross and can beat a man. He's worth a shot there. We also played well with Tierney at rb. Not sure why ppl suddenly went against that idea when he played reasonably well there. 

37 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeh but physically they wouldn't be able to cope with the adults game, it's all very well being technically very good against players the same age as you but once you step up into senior game players are physically stronger and faster. We have had talented u19, u17s etc but they never amounted to much due to being unable to step up to the adult game. We reached the final of a euro championship in the mid noughties I think and played Spain in the final. We looked excellent in that tournament and technically very good but the players never made the jump up to seniors. Being good at u17, u19 means very little and doesn't always translate to senior football.