Scotland squad - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

11 hours ago, Rohan said:

I take it Ryan Fredericks has turned us down if he isn't named in the squad. I know Karamoko Dembele has basically settled for England but does anyone know if his brother is Siriki Dembele is eligible? What a player he could turn out to be

He might not actually have been eligible. 

Sometimes these players who thought their granny was a Scot find out that it was actually their Great-Grandparents who were Scots.

Craig Brown once said that's what happened with Millwall legend Neil Harris. Brown heard that Harris had a Scottish grandparent and was going to call him up but it turned out it was a Great-Grandparent and Harris wasn't eligible.

8 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. Fredericks would be a really good addition to the squad based on his profile e.g. a right back who actually plays regularly at a good standard and he's also very quick so would add more pace but no point him just choosing Scotland if it's just to get him better contracts in the future like you suspect a few other U.K players have done in the past to get them a better wage.

Fredericks was one of West Ham's worst players last year and cost them a lot of goals. A lot of their fans want rid of him.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Fredericks was linked with us well over a year ago, and since then there has been zero movement on that front (and its a position we do need to fill.... SoD and Palmer have done well, but both feel like they are just filling in until something better comes along).

Todd Kane at QPR was linked not so long ago with a view to play at RB, but then QPR went on a run of bad games and he seemed to get the blame for it.

Fredericks I would take as a case of one or both parties are not interested, or the link to Scotland was not direct enough (remember all the talk of Gary Hooper in line for a call up, as it was rumored that his mum was born on a village right on the border with Scotland and chance her birth certificate was done in a Scottish registry office)

Ryan Fredericks is eligible by way of his Scottish grandfather. He was approached June, last year. It was reported.

I know that no one has mentioned it, but I'd promote Nathan Paterson. I don't care that he's only 18. From what I've seen of him for Scotland u19, he's far better than our other opinions.

It's Steve Clarke, though, so Patterson will have to wait till he turns 25.

Edited by Taylor1996

Anyone else think we are gonna get beat both games? When the squad was announced it was just a bit meh, we really don't have a great team at all and I think all my years of over optimism are past. Don't feel the same buzz with a Scotland game coming up which is sad. 

1 minute ago, Kirk said:

Anyone else think we are gonna get beat both games? When the squad was announced it was just a bit meh, we really don't have a great team at all and I think all my years of over optimism are past. Don't feel the same buzz with a Scotland game coming up which is sad. 

Our fans always tend to underestimate the Czech Rep. I think will struggle against them. But I'm fairly confident about beating Israel. 

I'm not so confident about the playoff though as the nerves might start to set in. We have a fairly inexperienced squad. We could do with someone with a bit of experience to calm the team down a bit in the first 15 minutes of that game. Not sure we have any of that type of player available though?

23 minutes ago, Kirk said:

We beat Israel the last time we played them at Hampden so I’m not sure why you think they’ll beat us this time. They may well do but Scotland are favourites and we have a good chance. 

Czechs will be tough. They are a decent side. A draw would probably be a good result from that game. 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

According to the bookies slightly shorter than an even money shot to beat Israel and 4/1 to beat the czechs.

6.271 with Paddy Power if you fancy us to lose them both. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:11 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Ryan Fredericks is eligible by way of his Scottish grandfather. He was approached June, last year. It was reported.

I know that no one has mentioned it, but I'd promote Nathan Paterson. I don't care that he's only 18. From what I've seen of him for Scotland u19, he's far better than our other opinions.

It's Steve Clarke, though, so Patterson will have to wait till he turns 25.

Fredericks has shown zero interest in playing for us.

You'd promote a player who has played 4 mins of league football in his career? Given that Clarke has called up the likes of McRorie etc who are young lads, then I don't think age is an issue.

The zero experience at any level other than minor cup games might be.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fredericks has shown zero interest in playing for us.

You'd promote a player who has played 4 mins of league football in his career? Given that Clarke has called up the likes of McRorie etc who are young lads, then I don't think age is an issue.

The zero experience at any level other than minor cup games might be.

Correct.

I would. Why do we always have to put road blocks on things and never think outside the box?

Javier Mascherano played for the full Argentina team, two week later he made his debut with River Plate. Alex Iwobi made his debut for Nigeria before he played for Arsenal. Liverpool's Harry Wilson played for Wales in 2013, he made his first league appearance on loan to Crew in 2015.

I'd actually look at lads like Kai Naismith, McPake, King, Morrison, Hickey, Barry Hepburn, Reagan Thomson, Mochrie, Hanratty, etc.

Having watched the u17s and u19s over the past 12 months. The lads in those groups are light years ahead of the current crop of seniors, in terms of technical ability and football intelligence.

This crop of senior players, apart from three or four, are quite frankly, embarrassing.

14 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Correct.

I would. Why do we always have to put road blocks on things and never think outside the box?

Javier Mascherano played for the full Argentina team, two week later he made his debut with River Plate. Alex Iwobi made his debut for Nigeria before he played for Arsenal. Liverpool's Harry Wilson played for Wales in 2013, he made his first league appearance on loan to Crew in 2015.

I'd actually look at lads like Kai Naismith, McPake, King, Morrison, Hickey, Barry Hepburn, Reagan Thomson, Mochrie, Hanratty, etc.

Having watched the u17s and u19s over the past 12 months. The lads in those groups are light years ahead of the current crop of seniors, in terms of technical ability and football intelligence.

This crop of senior players, apart from three or four, are quite frankly, embarrassing.

You like every one of your previous reincarnations, have lost plot.

Naming boys who haven't played a minute of senior football but wanting them called up for the full national side?

You aren't thinking outside the box, you are just talking nonsense, as usual for attention.

Quite sad really. Especially when you go in the huff when you get called out for it and come back a few months later under a new username with the same nonsense.

I'm pretty sure that the senior players will be gutted that some wee weirdo on TAMN thinks they are embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You like every one of your previous reincarnations, have lost plot.

Naming boys who haven't played a minute of senior football but wanting them called up for the full national side?

You aren't thinking outside the box, you are just talking nonsense, as usual for attention.

Quite sad really. Especially when you go in the huff when you get called out for it and come back a few months later under a new username with the same nonsense.

I'm pretty sure that the senior players will be gutted that some wee weirdo on TAMN thinks they are embarrassing.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenny-mclean-issues-oli-mcburnie-22620321

Maybe this storm in-a-teacup will create a siege mentality, who knows. Hopefully. The Daily Record have a cheek publishing articles of players defending McBurnie a day after pasting the back cover with a spread of McBurnie's alleged betrayed.

Talk about running with the Foxes and hunting with the Hounds.

Don't know where to stick this news. Not important to us just now but might be next month.

Slovakia having issues getting Hamsik into their squad. He's playing in China now and they won't let him travel for their games against Czech Republic & Israel. Rusnak, who's playing in the US, is a regular starter for them and having similar issues.

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenny-mclean-issues-oli-mcburnie-22620321

Maybe this storm in-a-teacup will create a siege mentality, who knows. Hopefully. The Daily Record have a cheek publishing articles of players defending McBurnie a day after pasting the back cover with a spread of McBurnie's alleged betrayed.

Some newspaper changes it's tone as  new information becomes available. wish they all would and indeed more people in general.

Plenty on here will be in the same place.regarding McBurnie.

Plenty will  still say he's shite but that's  for another thread.(this is the right one here😉)

I do like the idea of a siege mentality though, shows loyalty and unity not bad things for a football squad

20 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

What concerns me more is Kenny McLean thinks these matches are qualifiers. 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Some newspaper changes it's tone as  new information becomes available. wish they all would and indeed more people in general.

Plenty on here will be in the same place.regarding McBurnie.

Plenty will  still say he's shite but that's  for another thread.(this is the right one here😉)

I do like the idea of a siege mentality though, shows loyalty and unity not bad things for a football squad

Agreed, particularly with the people thing. It shows strength of character to be able to change your mind, as opposed to being lazy and stubborn and sticking with a reactionary impulse, even when you know it's wrong.

lol. 

McBurnie is a strange one. He looks like a target man, but I don't think he is. He's lost when asked to be the lone striker. We'd see the best of him if we played a duel strike force.

It does. SAF was the master of it, and it certainly brought Manchester United together. Hell, the United fans still think that there are ABU (anyone but United) people around. Hopefully it has the same effect and brings unity within the squad.