Scotland squad - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Although I would never claim he was a particularly good player, Callum Paterson did an interview several months back where he came across as being really passionate about playing for Scotland, said playing for his country meant a hell of a lot to him and how he was hoping to get back into the squad again. I wish Ryan Fraser had an attitude like that.

Right in at the deep end for Dykes. That will get him tied to Scotland permanently too, Australia won't be able to call him up then.

Paterson played upfront loads for Cardiff when Warnock was there. Pretty sure he had a run in premier league where he scored 4 times in 6-7 games. Obviously you can't play intricate stuff with him up there but he'll give his all and is decent in the air for a wee lad.

Years back Matt Elliott had spells upfront for Leicester although the striker pool was much stronger in late 90s but think he might've played the odd game upfront for Scotland.

Fraser's absence is disappointing because with the lack of central strikers maybe he or Forrest could have played off Dykes. Any other injury news? Am I the only one who got worried on Saturday when Tierney appeared to have picked up a knock about 20 minutes before the end. 

30 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Fraser's absence is disappointing because with the lack of central strikers maybe he or Forrest could have played off Dykes. Any other injury news? Am I the only one who got worried on Saturday when Tierney appeared to have picked up a knock about 20 minutes before the end. 

And that is completely his own choice.

Ryan Fraser is a wanker.

9 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

McBurnie was not in squad for Sheffield Utd's friendly v Hearts yesterday so assume he has a knock.

Paterson will have been brought in as a striker.

I would have called up Fraser Hornby from u21s - made his debut today for Reims in Ligue 1 and looked promising whenever I have seen him.

I would have called up hornby too. Id rather we got into the habit of using our U21s, especially if they are playing at a decent level.

Any word on what is wrong with mcburnie? 

40 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Mcginn will play the 10 role behind dykes or it will be Dykes and Burke if clarke has the balls to play 2 up top

Had to chuckle to myself a little while back when people were naming the best Scotland team for the up coming games and included Griffith's and Fraser in them. Surely it must be crystal clear that Fraser does not care and at the moment it is hard to see Griffith's in the team any time in the near future if ever.

9 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Had to chuckle to myself a little while back when people were naming the best Scotland team for the up coming games and included Griffith's and Fraser in them. Surely it must be crystal clear that Fraser does not care and at the moment it is hard to see Griffith's in the team any time in the near future if ever.

People were naming their ideal team. I agree with you regarding fraser.

Its all about him not the team

If Fraser doesn't turn up for the next round of fixtures in early October then that should be him removed from the national pool of players permanently. 

There's a good interview out with Kieran Tierney out today. He's reported for training with the national team and talks very positively about his meetings with Steve Clarke. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

People were naming their ideal team. I agree with you regarding fraser.

Its all about him not the team

It certainly is with Fraser, therefore I would never have him in any Scotland team. I assume he is a free agent now and Aberdeen will get no sell on fee as was previously agreed. I cannot even be bothered looking up Google about him.

Huge disappointed !

26 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If Fraser doesn't turn up for the next round of fixtures in early October then that should be him removed from the national pool of players permanently. 

There's a good interview out with Kieran Tierney out today. He's reported for training with the national team and talks very positively about his meetings with Steve Clarke. 

23 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

It certainly is with Fraser, therefore I would never have him in any Scotland team. I assume he is a free agent now and Aberdeen will get no sell on fee as was previously agreed. I cannot even be bothered looking up Google about him.

Huge disappointed !

It’s sad but unless he shows more commitment then we should be planning without him 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s sad but unless he shows more commitment then we should be planning without him 

He'll likely come out with some spiteful, made up rubbish about "not feeling welcome" or being "mistreated" by the national team.

The truth is that for Ryan Fraser, playing for Scotland is a chore to him and he'll do anything to avoid it.

I am happy to be proved wrong on this. He might turn up for the games next month ...... but I strongly doubt he will.

Fraser is obviously worried he'll pick up an injury which will then affect his chances of getting a new club. Makes a wee change though as his "injuries" tend to come just BEFORE an international break. We don't have a massive pool of players to choose from but there's a good case here for telling this one to GTF and not come back. We'll see by the time of the next round of games how committed he is/isn't. Clarke must be getting fkin sick of the guy.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Although I would never claim he was a particularly good player, Callum Paterson did an interview several months back where he came across as being really passionate about playing for Scotland, said playing for his country meant a hell of a lot to him and how he was hoping to get back into the squad again. I wish Ryan Fraser had an attitude like that.

Right in at the deep end for Dykes. That will get him tied to Scotland permanently too, Australia won't be able to call him up then.

Picking players who really want to be there is half the battle for Clarke. OK so pride and passion for playing for your country can only take you so far but it has been proven time and again that players that can’t be arsed playing for Scotland never seem to perform well for us (when they bother turning up at all). 

I actually quite like Paterson for the fact he is versatile and we get so many call offs that he can be used in a good few positions. It’s a shame he’s not a decent centre half. 

August 19:- Pretty emphatic:- "If I had to choose between Scotland or Australia, I'm choosing Australia," said Dykes. 

"Scotland have a great team and my parents are Scottish. Obviously if I had the choice I would always pick Australia."

October 19:- wavering slightly:- 

He said: “I grew up in Australia so I’d probably choose Australia if both of them came in for me.

“But it’s hard. My parents are Scottish and I have Scottish blood.

“If Scotland came and Australia didn’t come, then obviously I would like to play for Scotland.

August 20:- 180 degree turn:- "I always knew deep down I was going to pick Scotland, to be honest. Without Scotland, I wouldn't be playing football."

Footballers are so full of sh*t!  😄

15 minutes ago, mcnish said:

August 19:- Pretty emphatic:- "If I had to choose between Scotland or Australia, I'm choosing Australia," said Dykes. 

"Scotland have a great team and my parents are Scottish. Obviously if I had the choice I would always pick Australia."

October 19:- wavering slightly:- 

He said: “I grew up in Australia so I’d probably choose Australia if both of them came in for me.

“But it’s hard. My parents are Scottish and I have Scottish blood.

“If Scotland came and Australia didn’t come, then obviously I would like to play for Scotland.

August 20:- 180 degree turn:- "I always knew deep down I was going to pick Scotland, to be honest. Without Scotland, I wouldn't be playing football."

Footballers are so full of sh*t!  😄

People are allowed to change their minds but his change of heart does seem a bit odd.

I get the feeling he realised he’s got a better chance of getting game time with us and couldn’t be arsed with an 18 hour flight 5 times a year to sit on the bench for Australia (if they even selected him in the first place). 

16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Right back is a horrific position for us. No good options.  Centre forward looking similar.  

I wouldn’t say Palmer or O’Donnell are horrific but it’s definitely one of our weaker positions.

Hopefully Dykes will be decent and McBurnie could yet come good. I remember when most folk on here used to slate Griffiths and most of us would love it if he was fit and in the squad now. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Tbh I don’t think Griffiths is the answer to our problems.  I think we look at him through rose tinted glasses after the goals.  Could really do with a world class goal machine that can also link up play. Somebody like a Lukaku would be good.

Lol and I would like win the lottery. I think we would all love to have a lukaku quality striker. I think Griffiths played well for us in the wc qualifiers and although he's not a world class striker he is a much better option than any of our other strikers imo. If he could just sort himself out and cut out his shenanigans then I think we would have a decent striker for these upcoming games and play off. He's got a far better goalscoring record than any of our other strikers at similar level. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

People are allowed to change their minds but his change of heart does seem a bit odd.

I get the feeling he realised he’s got a better chance of getting game time with us and couldn’t be arsed with an 18 hour flight 5 times a year to sit on the bench for Australia (if they even selected him in the first place). 

Tbf Australia don't have much better striking options than us. He would probably get a game for them as much as he would for us. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf Australia don't have much better striking options than us. He would probably get a game for them as much as he would for us. 

I’m not familiar with the Australia squad these days so I’ll take your word for it. 

I assume the chance of playing at the European Championships was also a factor. We’ll never know his true reasons unless he comes out and tells us I suppose. 

16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Tbh I don’t think Griffiths is the answer to our problems.  I think we look at him through rose tinted glasses after the goals.  Could really do with a world class goal machine that can also link up play. Somebody like a Lukaku would be good.

Neither do I but a fit and in form Griffiths would likely be preferable to Lyndon Dykes and Oli McBurnie in most people’s eyes. 

We look back at those goals for a good reason - they were good goals and he scored them. 

Most of our goals in the last campaign came from midfield. It would be good to have a striker that banged in some goals.

A fit Griffiths seems a wee bit more realistic than a Lukaku type player coming from nowhere. 

47 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t say Palmer or O’Donnell are horrific but it’s definitely one of our weaker positions.

Hopefully Dykes will be decent and McBurnie could yet come good. I remember when most folk on here used to slate Griffiths and most of us would love it if he was fit and in the squad now. 

Nathan Patterson in 2021 for the right back spot.

Edited by er yir macaroon

48 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Palmer and O'Donnell are both pretty poor and a couple of decent performances against sub standard opposition doesn't make the former a decent player. Fed up saying it but Paterson, whether he plays there or not is as good as we have in that position. I would prefer we played a good all round footballer there than either of those two . Probably try any of our right footed midfielders that don't make the eleven. Doubt if Forrest would be any worse at right back.