Scotland squad - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Talking to a mate who is a Dundee United fan who says he has a ankle injury, and only just a slight chance he will make it for this weekends games.

Ah, OK. I heard the opposite. :lol: That's football for you. I heard he was fighting fit and raring to go. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. 

19 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

At one time it seemed that we had ample alternatives to Fraser: Morgan, Johnston (Mikey), Middleton, Hastie. What happened to them all?

Johnston did his knee ligaments in around Christmas time, and has recently under went a operation to sort some other injury issues he has had, and is out for at least the next month.

Middleton looked a real prospect at U16 and U19 level, but really went off the boil. 

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Was watching the video that was posted on Youtube last night of a compilation of him in action..... no idea why, but I always thought he was just a big lump of a player, yet there is a bit of Kenny Miller'esque about him where he will chase every ball (regardless of how lost it is) and put himself about (but far from the answer to all our prayers for a striker who can score goals for us)

When we have all our strikers fit, on form and available, I do not think he would be anywhere near McBurnie or Griffiths, but a useful alternative to Nasmith.

Think just goes to show that with Griffiths in limbo, and Nasimith getting no younger, our options are pretty much limited to McBurnie (who is not exactly Mr Reliable himself) then scraping the barrel, so I can see why Clarke was after Dykes.

Hopefully QPR take his game up a few more levels.

Our striker situation is fk*d, been saying it for months now. If he’s another Kenny Miller type, who we all greatly appreciated granted, then we’re still going to have the same old problems converting chances.

7 minutes ago, JECK said:

Our striker situation is fk*d, been saying it for months now. If he’s another Kenny Miller type, who we all greatly appreciated granted, then we’re still going to have the same old problems converting chances.

Agree, and I think Clarke has probably been more unlucky than any manager when it comes to his striking options, as takes one or two injuries/call off's and we are left with virtually nothing.

So no real surprise he has been chasing Dykes for a while now.

54 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Agree, and I think Clarke has probably been more unlucky than any manager when it comes to his striking options, as takes one or two injuries/call off's and we are left with virtually nothing.

So no real surprise he has been chasing Dykes for a while now.

If we were able to pick Fletcher and Griffiths it wouldn't look that bad but it really is our weakest position.

Hopefully McBurnie can start performing at this level.  I still think he could be a really useful player for us.  

Guest ElChris04

I hope we go with a 2 ST formation as it’s been mentioned in here before, think it’s key to get the best out McBurnie.

Him and Dykes could make a solid partnership. 

25 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If we were able to pick Fletcher and Griffiths it wouldn't look that bad but it really is our weakest position.

Hopefully McBurnie can start performing at this level.  I still think he could be a really useful player for us.  

I think Mcburnie needs to be played in a 2 to get the best out of him, hopefully we try that in these games.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Ah, OK. I heard the opposite. :lol: That's football for you. I heard he was fighting fit and raring to go. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. 

I don’t think he has played since the first game of the season on 1st August.

Presumably he has a decent chance of playing on Saturday though or he wouldn’t be in the Scotland squad? 

54 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Shankland out of the squad right enough. Seems odd he was selected in the first place. 

Okay, which forward is next in line for a call up. Shame no one could take  Naismith on loan for a mon th so he could have been match fit. Brophy? Hornby?  Paterson?

26 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Okay, which forward is next in line for a call up. Shame no one could take  Naismith on loan for a mon th so he could have been match fit. Brophy? Hornby?  Paterson?

If Clarke replaces Shankland, which I’m not convinced he will, he’ll probably go with  Brophy since he has been in the squad before and scored today. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Considering we play 1 up front without fail every game and have a few strikers in the squad you could just not replace him

On 8/26/2020 at 3:51 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Fraser increasingly comes across as a really selfish prick with an absurdly high opinion of himself.

If I were Clarke I'd never pick him again for Scotland.

I said that ages ago, he is quite unlikeable, and doesn't seem to give a toss.

He was good two years ago, last year he was average at best, and his decision not to stay on at his club was cuntish IMO.

26 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Considering we play 1 up front without fail every game and have a few strikers in the squad you could just not replace him

I have a feeling this is what will happen. 

Shankland had next to no chance of making out games so if Clarke fancied another striker I reckon he’d have been in ahead of Shankland in the first place. 

There’s still time for McBurnie or another striker to pull out right enough. Clarke would need to call someone else up if that happened, most likely Brophy.