Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 34 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I honestly thought the snp hierarchy would have came out and said “ you know what, go for it, give alba your second vote”  it makes so much sense, less tories can only be a good thing

You should maybe get more realistic with your expectations. 

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You fall under the northeast in the list seat, for me its a no brainer with voting alba,, the tories got three list seat last time round and will probably get the same this time unless alba pinch from them,, salmond getting in should be a mouth watering prospect for anyone of indy aspirations 

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I agree. SNP, ALBA.

The "No chance in the North East" Greens were only 2000 votes shy of picking up a seat in 2016 and they are currently polling in excess of the level that we see them all but guaranteed to pick up one.

Panelbas, the sole polling company to show Alba picking up any seats do not do a regional breakdown which is not much use at all because clearly you cannot assume a uniform distribution in the regional lists.

ComRes, who do though has Alba in the North East on 2% and the Greens on 7%.

You might be right and Salmond's personal vote in the NE may be enough to see him through.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't but your recommendation is solely based on who you'd like to see elected and not on any empirical or objective measure of who is most likely to be elected.

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

The "No chance in the North East" Greens were only 2000 votes shy of picking up a seat in 2016 and they are currently polling in excess of the level that we see them all but guaranteed to pick up one.

Panelbas, the sole polling company to show Alba picking up any seats do not do a regional breakdown which is not much use at all because clearly you cannot assume a uniform distribution in the regional lists.

You might be right and Salmond's personal vote in the NE may be enough to see him through.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't but your recommendation is solely based on who you'd like to see elected and not on any empirical or objective measure of who is most likely to be elected.

If we were to trust opinion polls there would be no need for an election. Save a lot of money.

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

we will see this weekend, hopefully the both manage to pinch seats, i think we can both agree that the less tories the better. you wont be surprised that i think alec would be a more effective candidate that any green candidate to further the independence cause

I feel this election is something of a crossroads for the independence movement for various reasons.

First up and most obviously it could be a springboard to IndyRef2 if a majority is achieved. However, I feel it is also pivotal for other reasons. No independence majority and independence goes onto the back-burner again for perhaps another five years until the next Scottish Election but it goes deeper than that. Will it be the beginning of a deeper split in the independence movement? Alba gaining seats in the name of independence is great but will it instigate more? If they do well will it encourage them to stand in General Elections taking votes from SNP and allowing unionist parties to get a meaningful foothold again in Scotland? Or will we get the independence majority at this election but no real movement on an IndyRef2 instigating a split in the SNP with people defecting to Alba frustrated by inactivity on independence.

As I say quite a crossroads I feel and it could make or split the independence movement.

29 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the unionists are encouraging tactical voting, i cant see why its not realistic for nationalists to do the same

The Unionists are encouraging tactical voting to stop an SNP majority.  Those on the Nationalist side who promote the same are risking doing their work for them.

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Which unionist party is asking their own voters to vote for another party? 

The Twat in the Hats party  for 1. 😉

Dross has said many times 'vote for the party which can beat snp. 

I don't get the apparent love for the Greens.  They are not really that pro-indy and could easily change their minds on that, and in fact if the story that less than half their member support indy is true, that would seem to be quite likely to happen at some point.  They are at least as woke as Sturgeon and her coven of biology deniers.

4 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I don't get the apparent love for the Greens.  They are not really that pro-indy and could easily change their minds on that, and in fact if the story that less than half their member support indy is true, that would seem to be quite likely to happen at some point.  They are at least as woke as Sturgeon and her coven of biology deniers.

They are probably the most democratic party in Scotland. Which is a good thing but, as you say, it also means that they could change their minds on independence as soon as their next conference, if that's what the members wanted. I think Patrick Harvie is fully in favour of independence but he seems to have taken much more of a back seat than usual this time round. I'm just wondering if he might be preparing to move onto something new? If he steps down as leader then anything could happen. I think they had a fairly close vote a few years back.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They are probably the most democratic party in Scotland. Which is a good thing but, as you say, it also means that they could change their minds on independence as soon as their next conference, if that's what the members wanted. I think Patrick Harvie is fully in favour of independence but he seems to have taken much more of a back seat than usual this time round. I'm just wondering if he might be preparing to move onto something new? If he steps down as leader then anything could happen. I think they had a fairly close vote a few years back.

They’ve been quite clear on Indy for me and as you say they are probably the most Democratic Party on offer - so I can’t square that with them changing policy mid-term. 

Also, Lorna Slater has been quite clear on their Indy position. I think she’s just given a freshness as an alternative to Patrick Harvie. I think it’s worked quite well for them. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

The Greens have has co-leaders for a long time.  In 2016, it was Patrick Harvie and Maggie Chapman.   Harvie obviously got a pretty high profile during the referendum as he was often the "other Indy" on the TV and also as a sitting MSP so that gave him a lot of name recognition and profile.  

Chapman was less to the front and lost out in NE Scotland by 2000 votes in 2016.   They also took a lot of flak for all their gender neutrality, they returned 5 male and one female MSPs.

This time around I suspect that it's less a case of Harvie taking a back seat as precursor to doing something else but probably trying to get Lorna Slater bigger exposure to try and get her elected.   That's even more difficult for her as she's second on the Lothians List after Alison Johnstone.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm going for 49%.

Yeah was thinking 45-49% myself too.  I've pretty much always voted in GE, Scottish and EU elections but really have very little motivation this time around.  About the only thing motivating me to actually bother is the Tories do well on low turnouts.    

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Any punts on turnout?  Got a feeling that'll have as big an impact as any.    

No idea on turnout.  It's been a pretty flat campaign for a couple of reasons.  Covid restrictions have stopped a lot of the set piece events which tend to get things going and get people enthused, also there's a sense of inevitability about the result - clearly the SNP will be the largest party and will form the next government, all that's in doubt is whether or not that will be with an outright majority.   However, I saw a recent poll - Lord Ashcroft I think - which said that SNP voters were more determined to vote than any other party.

There are however just under 200,000 more people on the electoral register than in 2016 and there will obviously be a much higher proportion of postal voters.

23 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Coven - really?  Nothing like a casual bit of misogyny on a Tuesday lunchtime.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

they give the Tories a run for creepiest party in Scotland,, Harvey i don't trust one little bit and IMO all this transgender shit being forced on us is a result of him and his party, hanging on the coat tail of independence support to get votes when really they are not bothered either way.. they want the oil and gas industry closed down sharp, the want to ban fishing and severely limit cattle farming,, no thanks