Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Apparently Sturegon follows Gregor Fisher on twitter, the non binary cretin who likes to abuse women on social media and who is remarkably still an independent counsellor in Dundee. 

These student activists are bat crazy but what’s scary is, they are being indulged by the parties and will probably be in positions of power one day. 

😂 am I the only person that initially thought you were talking about Rab C Nesbitt ?
I thought ‘wtf I never knew he was non binary’ .  Thankfully you added a second paragraph. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 am I the only person that initially thought you were talking about Rab C Nesbitt ?
I thought ‘wtf I never knew he was non binary’ .  Thankfully you added a second paragraph. 

No you weren't the only one 😆

17 hours ago, Parklife said:

The SNP aren't entitled to any pro-Indy voters vote, especially given their actual ambivalence to independence 

Independence is about one of the few reasons i'm still voting for the SNP. 

It's certainly not their track record on education, drug abuse etc which is shameful. 

Won't be many teachers voting SNP i don't think this election. My sister has only ever voted SNP and she's going with Greens as can't stomach voting for the SNP due to the state of the education sector. 

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

That's certainly what happened last time.  The results of the other main parties were well within the expected margins but the Tory vote turned out to be quite significantly higher than the polls suggested.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Posted by the SNP Student's "Our LGBT+ students group leader Jack Boag outlines why he's voting SNP on the 23rd of May".

https://ms-my.facebook.com/snpstudents/videos/jack-boag-eu-elections/302769990598656/

Quite revealing as he is now in the GREENS it seems.

E5024BDB-C5E3-47B9-B61B-DCA118754089.jpe

This is the thing, the wokerati faction who have effectively done a 'reverse takeover' of the SNP (from the head down, no grass roots support at all) are all extremely "soft on independence". And that is being kind to say the least.

The wokies in the SNP are typically all ex-labour serial losers who jumped ship to the SNP after Labour's support collapsed. They are political parasites / grifters who don't really give a shit about independence, it is just a vehicle they have hijacked to get all the woke crap they want enforced into laws.

The GREENS have been even more captured by the woke agenda mentalists than the SNP.

I now think that both parties (the SNP & GREENS) have been near completely subverted from their original goals. (I am not sure it is just a co-incidence.)

Sturgeon has only herself to blame with bowing to this OTT woke pish. 

Most of them couldn't give a fuck about independence . 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's certainly not their track record on education, drug abuse etc which is shameful. 

Won't be many teachers voting SNP i don't think this election. My sister has only ever voted SNP and she's going with Greens as can't stomach voting for the SNP due to the state of the education sector. 

Aye. I am pro-independence and voted SNP last time, but they have lost both my votes this time.

And it's got nothing to do with anybody or anything other than the SNP's performance in government. Health and education being the big ones that you flag. Alongside me having a significantly different risk attitude when it comes to Covid. I can't, in good conscience, vote for a party that refuses to set out a plan that targets the removal of social distancing restrictions and football stadium attendance limits.

10 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Aye. I am pro-independence and voted SNP last time, but they have lost both my votes this time.

And it's got nothing to do with anybody or anything other than the SNP's performance in government. Health and education being the big ones that you flag. Alongside me having a significantly different risk attitude when it comes to Covid. I can't, in good conscience, vote for a party that refuses to set out a plan that targets the removal of social distancing restrictions and football stadium attendance limits.

could i ask who you are voting for? my father in law is like yourself, he isnt voting reginal but voting alba for list 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

could i ask who you are voting for? my father in law is like yourself, he isnt voting reginal but voting alba for list 

Probably: Labour constituency; Tories list.

Labour as I broadly support their politics (excepting independence policy), although SNP have a safe seat here; Tories to bring balance to covid debate/policies. Very difficult choice given how disconnected I am from conservative policies and the abuse that you tolerate for such a choice. But it's the mix of nasty medicine that I think is needed at present, to help us towards a better future in the end. 

And if we end up with an independence referendum...I'll vote yes (again)!

I recognise I might be the only person in Scotland with this mix of voting intentions :)  

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

100% this. 

We can vote for the best party after independence or we continue to live the majority of our lives under Tory rule as voted in by the masses in England. I don't believe anyone who says they want independence but won't be voting SNP. 

1 minute ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Labour as I broadly support their politics (excepting independence policy), although SNP have a safe seat here; Tories to bring balance to covid debate/policies. Very difficult choice given how disconnected I am from conservative policies and the abuse that you tolerate for such a choice. But it's the mix of nasty medicine that I think is needed at present, to help us towards a better future in the end. 

I recognise I might be the only person in Scotland with this mix of voting intentions :)  

😂 If there was a seat given for honesty you would win it, and tbf your logic is sound. 
I thought my husband who is a ‘Yes ‘ voting Daily Mail reader was the most confused person in Scotland 😁

42 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Haha that is a bit messed up but hey,there are so many factors at play here

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Poor poll out today, snp sliding down to 45% in the constituency vote, not good at all

Looking at some comments on here I'm not surprised. If there's not a pro independence majority next Friday I think that'll end the chance of Scotland being independent in our lifetimes. SNP are at/past their peak voting wise, only way is down now, the Holyrood voting system will do what it was designed to do have no majority - it's quite incredible any party actually achieved one. As someone else said on here another No vote will end my interest in politics. I won't even bother voting after that. 

Edited by Och Aye

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think it's independence that's keeping the SNP's support as high as it is (that said, apparently there's another fucking poll out today showing No in front :rolleyes:).

The health thing is over-egged, I think - any government trying to run a health service with a population like Scotland's is going to be up against it, especially with one arm tied behind its back and even more so during a pandemic - but the drug death statistics, particularly, look shocking.

I have no personal interest in education, although, I appreciate for a lot of people it is a big issue. 

2 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Looking at some comments in here I'm not surprised. If there's not a pro independence majority next Friday I think that'll be the end of Scotland being independent in our lifetimes. SNP are at/past their peak voting wise, only way is down now, the Holyrood voting system will do what it was designed to do have no majority - it's quite incredible any party actually achieved one. As someone else said on here another No vote will end my interest in politics. I won't even bother voting after that. 

Another no vote would be terrible, i fear that much more than a snp minority,, i still think there will be a pro indy majority. The snp cant keep ramming through shit, divisive policies and think they will get away with it 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You might want to remind him that his "regional" vote is the "list" vote in case he is getting mixed up. ;)

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 If there was a seat given for honesty you would win it, and tbf your logic is sound. 
I thought my husband who is a ‘Yes ‘ voting Daily Mail reader was the most confused person in Scotland 😁

My dad is a Yes voting Daily Mail reader. Albeit he rarely buys a newspaper now. 

I can't even bring myself to read it nevermind buy it! 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I think it's independence that's keeping the SNP's support as high as it is (that said, apparently there's another fucking poll out today showing No in front :rolleyes:).

The health thing is over-egged, I think - any government trying to run a health service with a population like Scotland's is going to be up against it, especially with one arm tied behind its back and even more so during a pandemic - but the drug death statistics, particularly, look shocking.

I have no personal interest in education, although, I appreciate for a lot of people it is a big issue. 

It certainly is amongst my peers/family. 

So many issues/policies that i massively disagree with the SNP on, particularly the last 5 years.

Education is a huge issue for me, again many family members/friends who teach, vast majority Yes voting and a lot of them utterly scunnered with the SNP's repeated failure in this area.  The last year has been the final nail on the coffin for a lot of them and folk i'd never have thought voting other than SNP, either not voting at all or going to Green. None voting Alba that i know of right enough. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

With over a million postal votes this time round, and if the turnout is about 50%, then about half the votes might already have been cast. Not sure there is much point doing any more campaigning? This election feels very weird, it's almost like there isn't an election happening. And I don't think it's all down to COVID.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My dad is a Yes voting Daily Mail reader. Albeit he rarely buys a newspaper now. 

I can't even bring myself to read it nevermind buy it! 

Honestly,  if he was reading that paper before I married him we wouldnt be married. Opportunity missed on his part 😁

I refuse to buy it for him and I am sure it is partly responsible for me being on blood pressure tablets. But because I know he isnt the stereotypical Daily Mail reader I try not to be too judgmental when I see someone else with it. I definitely have an unhealthy  hatred of it though. 

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Looking at some comments on here I'm not surprised. If there's not a pro independence majority next Friday I think that'll end the chance of Scotland being independent in our lifetimes. SNP are at/past their peak voting wise, only way is down now, the Holyrood voting system will do what it was designed to do have no majority - it's quite incredible any party actually achieved one. As someone else said on here another No vote will end my interest in politics. I won't even bother voting after that. 

I agree.

It was me who said I am finished with politics  if we vote no again. Let the country  deal with the consequences. For this reason part of me is not in a desperate rush for another referendum. I would rather the young people who overwhelmingly are in favour get their opportunity when the older people pass on. Independence will be kicked back another 25 + years if we fail again whereas another 5 years may see the balance naturally shift. Problem is voting SNP for another 5 years may be too much for a lot of  people . So this  chance may be the only opportunity.