Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

absolutely, i am actually worried about the rockets that may be away to stand, would love some big hitters from Westminster to stand 

So you want MP's to "double job" (and collect two more than generous salaries) which is what that prick Ross is going to do for the Tories ? Or stand down after being only recently re-elected for their Westminster constituencies and force expensive (people don't appreciate how much money a by-election costs the taxpayer) and tiresome by-elections ?

The Westminster lot should stay where they are.

42 minutes ago, aaid said:

Jeane Freeman also standing down, that's a massive loss, both to the party and the country.

The last six months must have been a sore shift for her.

You're kidding??  She'd be a massive loss, indeed. A very smart woman; but health is a tough gig.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So you want MP's to "double job" (and collect two more than generous salaries) which is what that prick Ross is going to do for the Tories ? Or stand down after being only recently re-elected for their Westminster constituencies and force expensive (people don't appreciate how much money a by-election costs the taxpayer) and tiresome by-elections ?

The Westminster lot should stay where they are.

it would be appreciated if you didnt put words in my mouth, salmond did a "double job" and did it very well,, there was nothing wrong with the system that was in place, a case of moving the goal post when suites. with the new criteria the tax payer would still pick up the tab for a by election, if they didnt win a hoyrood seat then there would be no by election, so there is an argument the new system could cost the tax payer

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You're kidding??  She'd be a massive loss, indeed. A very smart woman; but health is a tough gig.

Sadly no, she's 67, I knew she'd been around for a long time but hadn't appreciated how old she was.  She has the reputation of being someone who could cut through the crap and get things done.

That NEC decision on forcing MPS to stand down if they want to stand at Holyrood looks more short-sighted as every day passes. 

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

it would be appreciated if you didnt put words in my mouth, salmond did a "double job" and did it very well,, there was nothing wrong with the system that was in place, a case of moving the goal post when suites. with the new criteria the tax payer would still pick up the tab for a by election, if they didnt win a hoyrood seat then there would be no by election, so there is an argument the new system could cost the tax payer

You are happy to waste taxpayers money like that, especially in the current world health crisis ? Seriously ?

Such self serving behaviour would go down about as well in working class areas as Gordon Wilson cringeworthy tartan clad, haggis bashing, "Christian Democrat" vision for the SNP in the eighties did.

I wasn't comfortable with Salmond being both an MP and MSP from 2007-111 and thought the other parties had a point when they brought this up.

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Sadly no, she's 67, I knew she'd been around for a long time but hadn't appreciated how old she was.  She has the reputation of being someone who could cut through the crap and get things done.

That NEC decision on forcing MPS to stand down if they want to stand at Holyrood looks more short-sighted as every day passes. 

I guess when you factor her age into the equation it's not all that surprising. It's a pity she isn't ten years younger. Ditto Mike Russell.

I agree with your second point too.  There are some strong players at Westminster who would be welcome additions to Holyrood.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I guess when you factor her age into the equation it's not all that surprising. It's a pity she isn't ten years younger. Ditto Mike Russell.

I agree with your second point too.  There are some strong players at Westminster who would be welcome additions to Holyrood.

At the very least, they could've waited until they knew who was standing down and which MPs fancied a switch.   Too much talent in Westminster going to waste, asking questions and getting no answers and being brayed at by the ignorant oafs that habit that place  

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You are happy to waste taxpayers money like that, especially in the current world health crisis ? Seriously ?

Such self serving behaviour would go down about as well in working class areas as Gordon Wilson cringeworthy tartan clad, haggis bashing, "Christian Democrat" vision for the SNP in the eighties did.

I wasn't comfortable with Salmond being both an MP and MSP from 2007-111 and thought the other parties had a point when they brought this up.

Alex Salmond didn't take both salaries when he had the two jobs. I would want anybody who had both jobs would do the same as he did.

19 hours ago, aaid said:

I think it was done to get one over on DRoss.  As thats what he plans to be doing.

I think the lack of experience at Westminster is more of an issue. 

Now im not saying the MPS are not of a high quality, most of them are, most have only been there since 2015

Losing Amgus Robertson (and Samonds experience) in Westminster is a big loss. 

Guys that know the system down there and know how to play it.

The SNP MPS's down there are invisible at the moment..

Well i supose all MPs are at the moment.

So will see what they come up with on their return.

Aggitate and annoy the establishment is waht they should be doing.

The SNPs had most leverage when it was a hung parliament, obviously, and that happened when they jad less MPs than now. Of course it's good to have a few big hitters in WM to put Scotland's case. But in terms of strong and experienced people, there is probably more need (for Scotland's sake never mind party politics) for the Scottish Government and cabinet (ie MSPs) to have strength in depth.

56 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think it was done to get one over on DRoss.  As thats what he plans to be doing.

I think the lack of experience at Westminster is more of an issue. 

Now im not saying the MPS are not of a high quality, most of them are, most have only been there since 2015

Losing Amgus Robertson (and Samonds experience) in Westminster is a big loss. 

Guys that know the system down there and know how to play it.

The SNP MPS's down there are invisible at the moment..

Well i supose all MPs are at the moment.

So will see what they come up with on their return.

Aggitate and annoy the establishment is waht they should be doing.

I agree with the first point but that makes it even more short sighted decision from the NEC.

The SNP group at Westminster is a bit of a mixed bag but then that's to be expected, not everyone will be a "superstar".  I'm sure there all decent constituency MPS and very hard working but there's some real talent there that you think would make a real contribution in Holyrood, particularly in government positions.

Given the Tory majority, I think it's a waste to have them there as they wont be able to achieve anything, very different position from the 2015 and 2017 parliaments.

9 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I see jim fairlie is running for nomination? Do I remember someone saying he used to be a regular poster on here?

Not quite!

Jim Fairlie senior used to post on here.

Jim Fairlie junior is seeking the SNP nomination

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought that would be it. Jim Fairlie senior is getting on a bit now. Must be in his 80s.

I think a bigger barrier than age would be Jim Fairlie seniors relationship with the current SNP

http://jimfairlie.blogspot.com/

No chance of him becoming their candidate again.

Edited by min

I see it a little differently. Or maybe I'm just being naive or hopeful. There does seem to be a lot of big hitters stepping down which feels concerning when the goal feels like it's never been closer. The flip of this is that I'm sure many of them will turn all their focus on campaigning for independence whilst letting a new wave of MSPs get on with the day job as the Yoons are always greetin about. The 55+ demographic is absolutely key to securing the vote goes the right way this time and they'll all be in this to convince their peers. 

• 3 weeks later...