Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 73 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I buy that.

It really needs to be a well thought out road map for IndyRef2. We need to be far more self-assured and confident in the case for independence and do not allow unionists to take the moral high ground at any time. This is our Scotland and not a slither the UK - at least it shouldn't be. The evidence (according to unionists) claims we are too poor to go it alone. They need corrected that we are too poor locked into this union.

I cant remember what airport it is, I think it's Prestwick but as you come off the plane at the terminal it has this slogan "Scotland, the best wee country in the world" and you might not think that's a problem but I hate it. To me, Scotland is the best country in the world simply because it's our country, but we are are not wee. This kind of belittling language has to stop, we will be the best that we can whatever size our country is. Our contribution to the world can certainly not be considered wee.

I'm a St Johnstone fan and we get the "You do pretty well for a wee team" pish and I hate it. Wee teams don't have the success that St Johnstone has had over the last decade. Being a wee team or wee country is about mentality and I think we need to change peoples attitudes here.

24 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I cant remember what airport it is, I think it's Prestwick but as you come off the plane at the terminal it has this slogan "Scotland, the best wee country in the world" and you might not think that's a problem but I hate it. To me, Scotland is the best country in the world simply because it's our country, but we are are not wee. This kind of belittling language has to stop, we will be the best that we can whatever size our country is. Our contribution to the world can certainly not be considered wee.

I'm a St Johnstone fan and we get the "You do pretty well for a wee team" pish and I hate it. Wee teams don't have the success that St Johnstone has had over the last decade. Being a wee team or wee country is about mentality and I think we need to change peoples attitudes here.

Agreed.

The unionist brainwashing has been working on Scottish people for generations now and it is time that was reversed.

2 hours ago, Freeedom said:

100% bang on

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Wasn't the twee "best wee country..." slogan devised by the Jack McConnell administration?  It's very reminiscent of their mindset, anyway.

Yes that was one of Jack's.  Think that got taken down at Prestwick some years ago.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Wasn't the twee "best wee country..." slogan devised by the Jack McConnell administration?  It's very reminiscent of their mindset, anyway.

Just reminded me of something.   Back in the day, I was heavily involved in ATAC.   ATAC was also involved in the bid to host Euro 2008, primarily in providing "fan support" to the SFA.   Henry McLeish was all for it but it hit the buffers when Ireland pulled out and then Henry McLeish resigned.

Jack McConnell pulled the plug almost immediately and had a meeting with a number of the ATAC committee to explain the reasons.  As I was in London, I wasn't present - I could've been but I can be patronised well enough here without having to take a day off work and fly up to Scotland to have it happen.

I was pretty well briefed afterwards by those who were and basically McConnell's whole argument was the old "too wee, too poor, too stupid" story - a complete lack of any ambition, we've no chance of winning the bid so we're not going to waste money trying.

As it happens it was a total stitch up to give it to Austria and Switzerland but I doubt McConnell knew that.

This wasn't the major reason but it was around this time that I'd started to completely lose it with Labour.

14 hours ago, aaid said:

Just reminded me of something.   Back in the day, I was heavily involved in ATAC.   ATAC was also involved in the bid to host Euro 2008, primarily in providing "fan support" to the SFA.   Henry McLeish was all for it but it hit the buffers when Ireland pulled out and then Henry McLeish resigned.

Jack McConnell pulled the plug almost immediately and had a meeting with a number of the ATAC committee to explain the reasons.  As I was in London, I wasn't present - I could've been but I can be patronised well enough here without having to take a day off work and fly up to Scotland to have it happen.

I was pretty well briefed afterwards by those who were and basically McConnell's whole argument was the old "too wee, too poor, too stupid" story - a complete lack of any ambition, we've no chance of winning the bid so we're not going to waste money trying.

As it happens it was a total stitch up to give it to Austria and Switzerland but I doubt McConnell knew that.

This wasn't the major reason but it was around this time that I'd started to completely lose it with Labour.

Remember that well. Tam Ferry and co had a thing out side the Caird Hall in Dundee, McConnell was all over it as it had a lot of publicity at the time. In true form, he disappeared quick smart when it looked like a non starter. Devious turd of a man. 

22 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Remember that well. Tam Ferry and co had a thing out side the Caird Hall in Dundee, McConnell was all over it as it had a lot of publicity at the time. In true form, he disappeared quick smart when it looked like a non starter. Devious turd of a man. 

I take it your final comment relates to McConnell and not Tam😄

Pretty sure he was one of those at the meeting.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Spears making an arse of herself on twitter yesterday i see, no doubt the woke mob will jump to her defence 

She's a disaster. I get the impression with her, and other politicians like her, that they aren't taking what they've been elected to do seriously. Like it's all just a big game, or a platform for themselves and their egos.

I'm a public servant and it's drummed into you that you should always be very careful about what you post on social media. That doesn't appear to be the case with politicians.

That said, I didn't necessarily disagree with her on that occasion. 🤭

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

She's a disaster. I get the impression with her, and other politicians like her, that they aren't taking what they've been elected to do seriously. Like it's all just a big game, or a platform for themselves and their egos.

I'm a public servant and it's drummed into you that you should always be very careful about what you post on social media. That doesn't appear to be the case with politicians.

That said, I didn't necessarily disagree with her on that occasion. 🤭

She is a disaster but I thought the same thing, don’t see the drama with her comment, the context of it was clear and not offensive. 

Most politicians associated with the SNP don’t across well at all on twitter. 

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

She is a disaster but I thought the same thing, don’t see the drama with her comment, the context of it was clear and not offensive. 

Yes 100% this!!  my enthusiasm for the snp has weakened because of two thing, you had the salmond case and then i joined twitter and seen roasters like macdinald and co post post shit, even Nicolson comes across as a pretentious prick,, i did not expect that

On 5/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

I see Lord Wolffe, the Lord Advocate is standing down, wonder who sturgo will appoint for his replacement  

Is he and Peter Murrell buying a wee place in Asia and retiring maybe.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:14 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Somerville is the biggest waste of space ever, and seems to keep her job regardless of how useless she is!!, maybe this will finally see her being sacked from the cabinet,,  

She's a wokeist, which is why she seems to be indispensable.

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Someone from the SNP hating the UK shouldn't really be a shock to anyone. :lol:

I mean, whatever next? Someone from UKIP saying they hate the EU??😱

What she shouldn't have done is apologise for it. The only people who would have been offended by it - or claim to be offended by it - are the kind of people who are offended simply by the SNP existing!  I suspect she was instructed to apologise though.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Yes 100% this!!  my enthusiasm for the snp has weakened because of two thing, you had the salmond case and then i joined twitter and seen roasters like macdinald and co post post shit, even Nicolson comes across as a pretentious prick,, i did not expect that

Some SNP politicians just use Twitter to tweet about stuff they've been doing as an MP or MSP, or occasionally things in the wider political arena. Then you have the Mhairi Blacks, Stewart McDonalds and Rhiannon Spears of this world...🙄

I saw a clip of Salmond being very scathing about John Nicolson; he described him as poseur!

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Some SNP politicians just use Twitter to tweet about stuff they've been doing as an MP or MSP, or occasionally things in the wider political arena. Then you have the Mhairi Blacks, Stewart McDonalds and Rhiannon Spears of this world...🙄

I saw a clip of Salmond being very scathing about John Nicolson; he described him as poseur!

The other two I don't follow but I do follow Mhairi Black.  I'm not really sure what you're getting at with her as I don't think she puts out anything too controversial - unless you're vehemently opposed - in fact she barely tweets at all.  There's plenty of others who never seem to be off it.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A prick is kind to him. 

https://jacothenorth.net/blog/yescymru-the-beginning-of-the-end/

You might find this interesting if you’ve not read it. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Someone from the SNP hating the UK shouldn't really be a shock to anyone. :lol:

I mean, whatever next? Someone from UKIP saying they hate the EU??😱What she shouldn't have done is apologise for it. The only people who would have been offended by it - or claim to be offended by it - are the kind of people who are offended simply by the SNP existing!  I suspect she was instructed to apologise though.

2021 SNP, hating the UK bad but denying biology good.