Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 59 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The phrase tartan torie will need to be adopted to describe nationalists voting snp on the list vote

Why is it necessary to adopt such a black & white attitude? 

There are many different aspects to this and it’s not straightforward. In H&I for example ‘Both Voted SNP’ could have got over the line for a majority. 

I saw your hurting for Alba yesterday and you said maybe need some time away from this. Maybe that’s the case as I think your anger/disappointment is misguided. 

7 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The phrase tartan torie will need to be adopted to describe nationalists voting snp on the list vote

Nah. I blame Salmond for leaving it just 2 months before creating the party and not giving himself enough time to get the message out there. And taking on the role of party leader was obviously a mistake (damaged goods and unpopular figure).

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Nah. I blame Salmond for leaving it just 2 months before creating the party and not giving himself enough time to get the message out there. And taking on the role of party leader was obviously a mistake (damaged goods and unpopular figure).

Aye there is some of that i agree with 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So exactly the same argument that the snp were totally against along with most of this board? 

Or the same argument made by Alba voters.

Just remember that the SNP's great showing on the constituency vote supplies the almost total majority of pro-independence MSP's - something to applaud about the party.

Is it the SNP's fault for another party's failing? No. 

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Why is it necessary to adopt such a black & white attitude? 

There are many different aspects to this and it’s not straightforward. In H&I for example ‘Both Voted SNP’ could have got over the line for a majority. 

I saw your hurting for Alba yesterday and you said maybe need some time away from this. Maybe that’s the case as I think your anger/disappointment is misguided. 

Possibly but the logic is sound, if this independence question rumbles all the way through this Parliament, Nationalist of all political parties will need to get smarter, constituency vote will be snp and list green/alba.. be under no illusion the unionists tactical voting will be much improved next time round and it would be naive  for us not to get organised 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Possibly but the logic is sound, if this independence question rumbles all the way through this Parliament, Nationalist of all political parties will need to get smarter, constituency vote will be snp and list green/alba.. be under no illusion the unionists tactical voting will be much improved next time round and it would be naive  for us not to get organised 

I do agree there and its something pro-independence parties need to mull over. Alba, if they had launched, last Autumn say, it would have given them six more months to plot their course and get their message out there but they didn't. Why?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Or the same argument made by Alba voters.

Just remember that the SNP's great showing on the constituency vote supplies the almost total majority of pro-independence MSP's - something to applaud about the party.

Is it the SNP's fault for another party's failing? No. 

No its not however those championing list vote to the snp in the northeast need a shake, the unionists are organised, and will be even more so going forward, do you agree with this? , alba are just gearing up, salmond will go into the background and orchestrate from there. 

Seems the list is just too unpredictable for relying on. In some cases, a few extra Green votes could have got an extra MSP, in some cases, a few votes for SNP2 less would have lost a list seat, and it's possible a few extra votes could have returned an Alba MSP. But we can't tell in advance. If the vote is split between 3 indy parties (plus in some case, pro indy independents) it's always going to make it harder to return pro indy list MSPs. 

Every party (or independent) has a right to try their luck, but it's not helpful to accuse one or the other of being to blame.  

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do agree there and its something pro-independence parties need to mull over. Alba, if they had launched, last Autumn say, it would have given them six more months to plot their course and get their message out there but they didn't. Why?

A number of reasons i believe, folk were scared to commit without salmond who would not commit until after the holyrood committee was concluded 

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

No its not however those championing list vote to the snp in the northeast need a shake, the unionists are organised, and will be even more so going forward, do you agree with this? , alba are just gearing up, salmond will go into the background and orchestrate from there. 

Yes I get that but surely we were lead to believe that Eck's humongous popularity alone would get him over the line but it did not. What happened amongst his own backwater? Perhaps the truth hitting home that he is nowhere near as popular as some would like us to believe he is.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Seems the list is just too unpredictable for relying on. In some cases, a few extra Green votes could have got an extra MSP, in some cases, a few votes for SNP2 less would have lost a list seat, and it's possible a few extra votes could have returned an Alba MSP. But we can't tell in advance. If the vote is split between 3 indy parties (plus in some case, pro indy independents) it's always going to make it harder to return pro indy list MSPs. 

Every party (or independent) has a right to try their luck, but it's not helpful to accuse one or the other of being to blame.  

Exactly this.

32 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Here’s an idea: take your parochial, misogynistic, Salmond-loving, anti-gra, one-failed-horse party and stick it up your arse 👍🏻

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I get that but surely we were lead to believe that Eck's humongous popularity alone would get him over the line but it did not. What happened amongst his own backwater? Perhaps the truth hitting home that he is nowhere near as popular as some would like us to believe he is.

From banff and buchan, folk not understanding the system it is that straight forward,, other regions i guess a mixture of popularity and voting system understanding,

5 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Here’s an idea: take your parochial, misogynistic, Salmond-loving, anti-gra, one-failed-horse party and stick it up your arse 👍🏻

Haha her we go, good een,,

alba look like they are here to stay

Edited by hampden_loon2878

SNP pick up a list seat in South Scotland. So they're on 64.

I see James Kelly points out that "The SNP won't strictly speaking be a minority government as long as there's an opposition Presiding Officer. A 64-64 split."

Edited by exile

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

From banff and buchan, folk not understanding the system it is that straight forward,, other regions i guess a mixture of popularity and voting system understanding,

Sorry but I do not buy that. People saw the names on the ballot pspers and if Salmond was such a loved demi-god as he is held up by some that would have carried him home alone. And he was canvassing so should have drilled home to the people unless you are admitting his message never got across or he did not appeal to them.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Salmonds ego letting a unionist party get a seat.

That's quite a stretch. There's no way Alba voters either voted Green previously, or would consider it now. None IMO. To them, the Greens are the uber-woke enemies, even worse than the SNP.

Right I've asked this before and no idea if I'm on the wrong lines.

The SNP won 64 seats 1 short of a majority.

In 2011 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 47.5% of the vote and got 3 list seats.

In 2016 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 39.7% of the vote and got 1 list seat.

in 2021 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 40.4% of the vote and got 1 list seats.

What more of a % would have taken a 2nd seat in 2021? It can't have been that much

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

That's quite a stretch. There's no way Alba voters either voted Green previously, or would consider it now. None IMO. To them, the Greens are the uber-woke enemies, even worse than the SNP.

The greens are a con party, hijacking votes from independence supporters