Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 57 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

6 hours ago, aaid said:

In 2011, they "broke" the system due to a couple of things.  They won less constituency seats (53) than in 2016 (59) and this year likely more.   In 2011 though their list vote held up - just a 1.4% difference between that and the constituency compared to 4.8% in 2016 and this year likely less.

Basically while d'Hondt gives a reasonable level of proportionality it isn't exact, there will be "rounding errors" and regional swings that will mean that a party might pick up more list seats than their national share of the vote would suggest and similarly they could pick up less.

The more constituency seats you pick up, the harder it is to get list seats, the other side to that is that the fewer constituency seats you have, the more list seats will be "in play for you".

In 2011 they SNP benefited from that and picked up slightly more list seats and in 2016 they picked up slightly less.

However, if you were able to put together a strategy that could to deliver that exact sweet spot then you wouldn't be working in politics.

While it's very difficult, maxing out the constituencies is a much more straightforwards strategy.

A complicated business but if SNP were to have leaked more constituency seats and had full ‘Both Voted SNP’ support of 47%-plus then that might have broke the system again. 

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Can we get independence from Aberdeen?

Aye, it's frustrating in the shire. 

That said you'll be aware of the demographics and non Scots 

6 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Aberdeen is SNP so what are you on about?

Banchory IS Abz when you come from Kilmarnock 🙄😂

5 minutes ago, Redz said:

Banchory IS Abz when you come from Kilmarnock 🙄😂

Works both ways. I remember walking away from Rugby Park after the Aberdeen cup tie a couple seasons ago and some Aberdeen jaikies proclaiming “get it right up you weegie bastards” Hmm. 🤔

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Good on the Greens relegating those arsewipes that are the Fib Dums into 5th place 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Guarantee BBC panels will still feature them, probably at expense of any Greens.

Disappointing that the Highlands & Islands list vote can’t stay really high with Both Votes SNP.

Given that Orkney and Shetland were 2 seats that were always likely to be lost then it seems like a missed opportunity.

Ironic that for all the talk of supermajority and/or lending votes to Alba/Greens, the SNP may well have been in a position to get a majority if they got those list votes in that region and possibly in South Scotland as well. 

43 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Obviously John Curtice knows more than me, but I’m still saying 64.

That sounds about right to me too.  There are still two constituencies left to declare, which are both in Edinburgh but which both had fairly comfortable SNP majorities. I've heard no rumours of an upset in either of those places, plus I'd have thought the SNP would pick up a list seat each in the H&I and the southern regions.

23 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Works both ways. I remember walking away from Rugby Park after the Aberdeen cup tie a couple seasons ago and some Aberdeen jaikies proclaiming “get it right up you weegie bastards” Hmm. 🤔

Stay on topic please.

A horrible end to a night, best left un-remembered. Entertaining game right enough and another one ending in Killie going out on penalties - if it's the same one I am thinking of. 

Looks as if Greens could have nicked a list seat from Labour in Central Scotland

And Green and SNP have each picked up a list seat in H&I

So SNP on 60, Green 2, 3 needed for pro-indy majority 

Edited by exile