Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 44 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

11 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Interesting swing at Aberdeen Donside from SNP to Tory. 

Maybe local issues with Mark McDonald. 

Exactly what John Curtis is saying plus high vote leave in EU ref. He says he was expecting it along with rest of NE. 

Edited by Och Aye

Was just thinking, when will we get the first firm inkling of which way it's going - massive unionist tactical voting? - shy Tories coming out the woodwork with a vengeance? - late surge for Alba? - collapse in support for SNP? - Alba falling short? 

First indications are an easy hold for Lib Dems, and Guardian saying Alex Salmond in expectation management mode. (Q. What would be a good result? -  A. Registering as a political party)😮

Squeaky bum time...

Edited by exile

6 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Exactly what John Curtis is saying plus high vote leave in EU ref. He says he was expecting it along with rest of NE. 

We're South Angus I think it's called and we got absolutely hammered with Tory leaflets - must have had close to double figures in the last couple of months.  

When I was in at 7pm at our station the other voters were all of a vintage and I was probably the youngest out of the 20 folk in there.  

SNP fella has a decent majority here though so would need to go seriously wrong for him to lose - can't even see tactical voting affecting him as LD and Labour did pish last time so already happened.  

9 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Not sure about a high vote leave? Aberdeen was 61% remain - almost the same as the Scottish average. 

A 6.2% swing from SNP to Tory in Donside is worrying.

I saw people saying earlier that Hartlepool showed how different politics was in England. But of course, there could yet be a Brexit effect here if Leave voters reward the Tories.

I see Andrew Bowie celebrating a swing to Tory but as in Clydebank and Labour, what they could have in common is tactical voting, with a swing to the challenger/ away from SNP.

Edited by exile

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

SNP Hold Clydebank and Milngavie. Their vote share down 0.2%. Labour up 10% but no doubt taking Tory unionist votes.

👍 7% drop for Cons thankfully. Thought they were going to increase everywhere 

4 minutes ago, exile said:

I saw people saying earlier that Hartlepool showed how different politics was in England. But of course, there could yet be a Brexit effect here if Leave voters reward the Tories.

I think the Brexit effect will be small compared to the Anyone but SNP effect.  Serious tactical voting in play.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh yes for sure. Tories thriving in England (majorly) due to COVID-19 vaccine roll-out (their pandemic handling fucks up now forgotten), getting Brexit done and mopping up UKIP voters as a result and as you say their anti-independence and SNP stance too. In Scotland I'd guess a good number of Tory voters were once Labour voters but see them as not so anti-independence as the Tories by staunch unionist voters. Oh and of course the piss poor only opposition in England - Keir Starmer's Labour.

Aye if you thought Brexit was a good idea before then you will definitely think it's a good idea now given how much better the UK has done vs EU on vaccinations and with no sign of economic impacts predicted by remain. They will feel they are already reaping the rewards of their decision, led by the Tories as you say. 

Sir Keir Starmer if you please. Which is another problem. 

1 minute ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Aye if you thought Brexit was a good idea before then you will definitely think it's a good idea now given how much better the UK has done vs EU on vaccinations and with no sign of economic impacts predicted by remain. They will feel they are already reaping the rewards of their decision, led by the Tories as you say. 

Well the UK struck lucky being that the vaccine was developed in the UK. Imagine if it had been developed, in say Germany, I think the boot would be on the other foot. The Tories have been jammy.

11 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We could have done the same thing with the vaccine procurement within the EU though

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well the UK struck lucky being that the vaccine was developed in the UK. Imagine if it had been developed, in say Germany, I think the boot would be on the other foot. The Tories have been jammy.

But you can see why folk would feel vindicated by their decision. Rightly or wrongly. 

1 minute ago, Morrisandmoo said:

But you can see why folk would feel vindicated by their decision. Rightly or wrongly. 

Yes if you are dyed in the wool unionists who do not look at the bigger picture. I mean they are obviously choosing to only see what they wish and to hell with their fishing community for one.

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Banff and Buchan 😳

TBH, I'm delighted at that as I had it down as a loss.   All the ingredients were there for the Tories to take it.   Long standing incumbent standing down, big leave area, Tory MP since 2017 and increased majority in 2019.

I'm treating it as picking up a seat.