Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 42 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

hearing a few really positive things regarding alba, will the vote be concentrated enough to make a real dent or will the base be spread too thin?

Do you get a sense that pro-indy turnout, generally, has been holding up?

We keep hearing the 'polling is brisk' soundbites but hard to tell who's coming out the woodwork...

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

hearing a few really positive things regarding alba, will the vote be concentrated enough to make a real dent or will the base be spread too thin?

On Alba what, I wonder, would people see as them having a successful election? Winning themselves 1 to 5 MSP's I would say would be a good starting point.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On Alba what, I wonder, would people see as them having a successful election? Winning themselves 1 to 5 MSP's I would say would be a good starting point.

I would guess success would be 5 or more. I reckon they’ll get 1 and that will be Salmond. 

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Do you get a sense that pro-indy turnout, generally, has been holding up?

We keep hearing the 'polling is brisk' soundbites but hard to tell who's coming out the woodwork...

just a few folk i know from different parts of the country they are pro indy so their view could be tainted,, from all of them they have said turn out has been high but unusual,, some places out the door, other really quite,, thats the early impression i am getting from each of them,, that its an unusual pattern,,, my polling station i am lead to believe had the highest turn out in the local council,, the neighbouring village had a very very low turn out,, seems all over the place 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

i would say anything above 3 would be a massive success,, any seats taken from the unionist would be a success i suppose but realistically for a party of that age its a tall order to get 1,, i am taking what i have heard with a great big pinch of salt though as when you are emotionally involved your judgement sometimes gets clouded,, but thats the first thing i have heard from either the snp or alba

4 minutes ago, Andy C said:

It's been a good while since I was regularly visiting the North-East, and/or frequently speaking to family still there, so I could be miles off, but I'd be surprised if Salmond didn't get in there.

the amount of folk that have sent there postal vote away only to have wished they had voted alba is scary,, thats the bit that worries me here,, folk voted too early,, he is still massivly popular here,, will that return the votes though? he reqyuires around 18k votes between buckie and dundee

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i would say anything above 3 would be a massive success,, any seats taken from the unionist would be a success i suppose but realistically for a party of that age its a tall order to get 1,, i am taking what i have heard with a great big pinch of salt though as when you are emotionally involved your judgement sometimes gets clouded,, but thats the first thing i have heard from either the snp or alba

Yes anything from 1 to 5 I'd see as very promising considering they were only formed in March.

27 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the amount of folk that have sent there postal vote away only to have wished they had voted alba is scary,, thats the bit that worries me here,, folk voted too early,, he is still massivly popular here,, will that return the votes though? he reqyuires around 18k votes between buckie and dundee

So another 17,000 if you take out the Broch!!

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I know my local polling station there were queues right out the door and around the corner the two times I passed it yesterday at around 3pm and then later at around 5pm. That would suggest that turnout was good. I postal voted a few weeks ago now.

More likely to with social distancing arrangements than turnout I'm afraid. 

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Spoke to a few returning officers over the course of yesterday. They've all put turnout at around the 50% mark......... not great. 

My mum was working at one and it was busy in the morning and in the evening but afternoon died on its arse - estimated 50% tops.  In my polling station along the road looked about the same from the sheets and it's a fairly secure SNP seat.  

Rumours and speculation turnout is up in some pro-union areas - I can see the Tories doing better than predicted.  

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Rumours and speculation turnout is up in some pro-union areas - I can see the Tories doing better than predicted.  

It's all just rumour and speculation until the results start to come in.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Hartlepool although not a surprise is damning. The English really are a weird lot.

Labour really are in big trouble and if they're losing Northern England the blaming their collapse in Sotland on constitutional matters excuse goes oot the windae. 

The support for Tories is so wrongly founded on the vaccine for COVID-19. Some actually seeing the Tories as the discoverer of the vaccine itself and the Tories playing up to that. Even for the roll-out they are reaping votes won for it yet when they made fuck ups of epic proportions on COVID I recall how quick they were to try to distance themselves of blame for that. To me they are having their cake and eating it certainly in England. Perhaps they should seek renaming the party to the English National Party as that is where the vast amount of their support lies.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The support for Tories is so wrongly founded on the vaccine for COVID-19. Some actually seeing the Tories as the discoverer of the vaccine itself and the Tories playing up to that. Even for the roll-out they are reaping votes won for it yet when they made fuck ups of epic proportions on COVID I recall how quick they were to try to distance themselves of blame for that. To me they are having their cake and eating it certainly in England. Perhaps they should seek renaming the party to the English National Party as that is where the vast amount of their support lies.

Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine good - Astrazeneca vaccine bad 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There are a variety of reasons that the Tories are doing well in England and I expect the PR around ownership of the vaccine success is only a small part of it. They have ‘got Brexit done’ and Boris carries a reasonable level of public support due to the type of character he is. In Scotland, the Tories are getting a free pass as anti-SNP, defenders of the union. The wider UK party is generally ignored and I don’t even think their policies matter. 

13 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

There are a variety of reasons that the Tories are doing well in England and I expect the PR around ownership of the vaccine success is only a small part of it. They have ‘got Brexit done’ and Boris carries a reasonable level of public support due to the type of character he is. In Scotland, the Tories are getting a free pass as anti-SNP, defenders of the union. The wider UK party is generally ignored and I don’t even think their policies matter. 

Oh yes for sure. Tories thriving in England (majorly) due to COVID-19 vaccine roll-out (their pandemic handling fucks up now forgotten), getting Brexit done and mopping up UKIP voters as a result and as you say their anti-independence and SNP stance too. In Scotland I'd guess a good number of Tory voters were once Labour voters but see them as not so anti-independence as the Tories by staunch unionist voters. Oh and of course the piss poor only opposition in England - Keir Starmer's Labour.

Edited by Caledonian Craig