Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 35 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

I like Patrick Harvey and the Greens, the New Lass, Lorna Slater comes across well 

Ill probably go full green after Indy . Well SNP first election then green afterwards, if im still alive that is 😉 

I really hope the turn out is over 50%, as that would be a big stick for teh Yoons to beat us over teh head with.

The young vote is engaged this time like never before, so hopefully.

Edited by stocky

2 hours ago, aaid said:

No idea on turnout.  It's been a pretty flat campaign for a couple of reasons.  Covid restrictions have stopped a lot of the set piece events which tend to get things going and get people enthused, also there's a sense of inevitability about the result - clearly the SNP will be the largest party and will form the next government, all that's in doubt is whether or not that will be with an outright majority.   However, I saw a recent poll - Lord Ashcroft I think - which said that SNP voters were more determined to vote than any other party.

There are however just under 200,000 more people on the electoral register than in 2016 and there will obviously be a much higher proportion of postal voters.

And no Subway hide and seek. That's one of my most favorite election moments, ever. :lol:

Whit colour is the  of paper is the list ballot? I've heard it described as orange and peach. It can't be both surely 🤔

Anyway my list vote is going to Alba I've decided. Fingers crossed its not a bad move 🤞

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

Whit colour is the  of paper is the list ballot? I've heard it described as orange and peach. It can't be both surely 🤔

Anyway my list vote is going to Alba I've decided. Fingers crossed its not a bad move 🤞

It's the ballot paper that isn't purple. ;)

I'm not against Alba and I would like to see them return Eck and possibly a couple more, but their supporters on Twitter are just awful, TBH.

Look at that Wings tweet about if you vote Lib, SNP, Green - just very nasty, and almost cult-like.

Edited by weekevie04

16 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Me too.

It's an informed choice on my part based on 4 previous votes in ma hoose. 2 x SNP/SNP and 2 x SNP/Green have only returned yoons. Admittedly a wee bit of a shot in the dark but I think Alba might do well in my area 👍

I think Lorna Slater's been a breath of fresh air, and has been more bold and outspoken about independence than Nicola Sturgeon (that wouldn't be too hard, some might say). The Greens don't have a 14 year government record to defend and can point out the bits they did achieve by supporting the SNP. I can imagine they would appeal to the 'younger generation' and maybe urban/vegetarian population not directly affected by jobs in the oil industry and farming, but can afford to be a bit idealistic. I'd say what matters for indy is that the greens count as a pro indy party (just as Labour counts as unionist, however many of their voters are pro indy). They also have a record in how they have behaved in parliament, as far as I can see generally constructive though sometimes applying pressure but providing the crucial support when most needed.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Coven - really?  Nothing like a casual bit of misogyny on a Tuesday lunchtime.

Misogyny?  Pish.  No, I'm thinking more of the witches at the beginning of Macbeth.  That tweet by Kirsty Blackman about a committee of 5 men and 5 transwomen being gender balanced in her opinion sums them up.  

Latest polls (I know, I know... all caveats apply)

Opinium (28 April - 3rd May)

Constituency:

SNP ~ 51% (-2)

Con ~ 23% (+2)

Lab ~ 19% (+1)

LD ~ 7% (+1)

List:

SNP ~ 41% (-3)

Con ~ 23% (+1)

Lab ~ 17% (nc)

Grn ~ 8% (+1)

LD ~ 6% (+1)

Alba ~ 3% (+1)

YouGov (2nd-4th May)

Constituency:

SNP 52% (+3)

CON 20%

LAB 19%

LD 6%

GRN 2%

Regional

SNP 38%

CON 22%

LAB 16%

GRN 13% (+3)

LD 5%

ALBA 3%

So Green just 3 % points behind Labour, and Alba just 2 % points behind LD on list.

But check the volatility, the Greens could be on 8%, or 13%!

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, exile said:

Latest polls (I know, I know... all caveats apply)

Opinium (28 April - 3rd May)

Constituency:

SNP ~ 51% (-2)

Con ~ 23% (+2)

Lab ~ 19% (+1)

LD ~ 7% (+1)

List:

SNP ~ 41% (-3)

Con ~ 23% (+1)

Lab ~ 17% (nc)

Grn ~ 8% (+1)

LD ~ 6% (+1)

Alba ~ 3% (+1)

YouGov (2nd-4th May)

Constituency:

SNP 52% (+3)

CON 20%

LAB 19%

LD 6%

GRN 2%

Regional

SNP 38%

CON 22%

LAB 16%

GRN 13% (+3)

LD 5%

ALBA 3%

So Green just 3 % points behind Labour, and Alba just 2 % points behind LD on list.

But check the volatility, the Greens could be on 8%, or 13%!

Opinium poll was coming from a particularly high water mark but seems closer to yougov and other polls with sampling within the last week. 

The ones released over the weekend with 1 week old sampling showing snp dip now look out of date.  

If Greens hit 13% that would be remarkably good. Think this is the only poll that’s placed them that high but I think they’ll do well.