Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 33 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

20 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The canvassing in Renfrewshire North and West has been pretty SNP positive. But it has been curtailed hugely due to covid so not sure how accurate the sampling will be. 

Thanks. I didn't realise canvassing was still going on these days. I guess any info from the doorstep must be valuable, compared to social media where people on social media are not representative, they may not be the voice of the electorate and they may not even be people! 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye I saw that. I suspect they are testing popular opinion with contradicting statements from Johnson and Rabb to inform the policies in place in June.To be fair though, you need to look at what is happening too - not just what Dominic Raab is saying. 

They had 6000 folk in a Liverpool club with no distancing or masks this weekend. Along with a full capacity crucible for the snooker final. That is a significant break from not only where we are now in Scotland but also to where we intend to be at level 0. 

They do appear to be actually trying to get out of this thing. 

Looks like a fair few people must be intending to vote Labour on constituency but Tory on list. 

Curtice: Has the campaign changed voters' minds?

The article suggests maybe Labour supporters are less loyal but on the other hand it could be natural Tory supporters who intend to vote tactically for Labour as best chance of unseating SNP on constituency, but then reverting to their first love, the Tories, on the list. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Aye I saw that. I suspect they are testing popular opinion with contradicting statements from Johnson and Rabb to inform the policies in place in June.To be fair though, you need to look at what is happening too - not just what Dominic Raab is saying. 

They had 6000 folk in a Liverpool club with no distancing or masks this weekend. Along with a full capacity crucible for the snooker final. That is a significant break from not only where we are now in Scotland but also to where we intend to be at level 0. 

They do appear to be actually trying to get out of this thing. 

I think that there's often a case of people in Scotland looking at England wrt to COVID and getting a one-sided view of what is going on.  Partly that's a natural reaction and response but it's also something that is magnified by the lens of the constitution and media obsession with focusing on perceived differences.

Scotland took a much more cautious approach to coming out of the first lockdown last summer, but not hugely so - to the point where COVID was all but eliminated in Scotland.    The second spike is generally considered to have been caused by a combination of relaxation of rules but more importantly because of the restrictions of travel regulations which imported the virus.  Had it been physically and feasibly possible to seal the Scotland/England border and to stop all but non-essential foreign travel last year then I suspect Scotland would've escaped another total lockdown.

There are parts of England which have been in almost permanent local lockdown for over a year now.  Leicester went into lockdown at the end of June, around 2 weeks after the supposed national lifting of restrictions.   Those were then followed by large parts of the North of England going into similar restrictions.

Even where I live, which was a reasonably low prevalence area we've been in a period of lockdown from the middle of October until just recently, with the exception of a stupid two weeks of grace before Christmas.  I've personally been inside a pub once in the last year and that was in early October just before the "Lockdown to save Christmas" kicked in - almost 7 months ago.

Believe me, as someone who has gone through this, the approach to COVID in England has been a complete shambles from day one, with the singular exception of the vaccine program, which they've bet the farm on.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think that there's often a case of people in Scotland looking at England wrt to COVID and getting a one-sided view of what is going on.  Partly that's a natural reaction and response but it's also something that is magnified by the lens of the constitution and media obsession with focusing on perceived differences.

Scotland took a much more cautious approach to coming out of the first lockdown last summer, but not hugely so - to the point where COVID was all but eliminated in Scotland.    The second spike is generally considered to have been caused by a combination of relaxation of rules but more importantly because of the restrictions of travel regulations which imported the virus.  Had it been physically and feasibly possible to seal the Scotland/England border and to stop all but non-essential foreign travel last year then I suspect Scotland would've escaped another total lockdown.

There are parts of England which have been in almost permanent local lockdown for over a year now.  Leicester went into lockdown at the end of June, around 2 weeks after the supposed national lifting of restrictions.   Those were then followed by large parts of the North of England going into similar restrictions.

Even where I live, which was a reasonably low prevalence area we've been in a period of lockdown from the middle of October until just recently, with the exception of a stupid two weeks of grace before Christmas.  I've personally been inside a pub once in the last year and that was in early October just before the "Lockdown to save Christmas" kicked in - almost 7 months ago.

Believe me, as someone who has gone through this, the approach to COVID in England has been a complete shambles from day one, with the singular exception of the vaccine program, which they've bet the farm on.

I would also add that since the Tories in Westminster  are in charge of furlough and the vast majority covid related loans then you expect England to be used for these experiments.
Liverpool were chosen  for the nightclub event and other events are underway there because they have the infra structure in place from the mass testing trials that took place there last year because more people from Liverpool died from Covid than anywhere else in England. It makes absolute sense to use a city that is already equipped for mass testing . 

39 minutes ago, exile said:

Looks like a fair few people must be intending to vote Labour on constituency but Tory on list. 

Curtice: Has the campaign changed voters' minds?

The article suggests maybe Labour supporters are less loyal but on the other hand it could be natural Tory supporters who intend to vote tactically for Labour as best chance of unseating SNP on constituency, but then reverting to their first love, the Tories, on the list. 

Morrisandmoo must be getting the word out 😕

2 hours ago, exile said:

Thanks. I didn't realise canvassing was still going on these days. I guess any info from the doorstep must be valuable, compared to social media where people on social media are not representative, they may not be the voice of the electorate and they may not even be people! 

Canvassing only started a couple of weeks ago so very limited. But yes, more likely to get a more accurate account from actual people 😊

Edited by TDYER63

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I do get that, but useful to hear from somebody with first hand experience.

You see it the other way as well when folk try to exaggerate the difference between NS and BJ in how they responded throughout the crisis. The reality is their response and results (albeit not their tone) were very much the same when viewed against a rest of the world benchmark. We hyper-focus on England v Scotland and loss all context sometimes. Which was the kind of point I was trying to make before - without putting too much effort into it. 

For this election (re covid) - I'm very much more interested in the principles we now use, to guide our approach to future ways of living, than wrangling over the rights and wrongs of how each official responded to the crisis. That second point should be addressed through a public inquiry, but it's not a particular sway on my vote. 

8 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I do get that, but useful to hear from somebody with first hand experience.

You see it the other way as well when folk try to exaggerate the difference between NS and BJ in how they responded throughout the crisis. The reality is their response and results (albeit not their tone) were very much the same when viewed against a rest of the world benchmark. We hyper-focus on England v Scotland and loss all context sometimes. Which was the kind of point I was trying to make before - without putting too much effort into it. 

For this election (re covid) - I'm very much more interested in the principles we now use, to guide our approach to future ways of living, than wrangling over the rights and wrongs of how each official responded to the crisis. That second point should be addressed through a public inquiry, but it's not a particular sway on my vote. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you think the pandemic is almost over ( for the UK anyway)? I hope you are right.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you think the pandemic is almost over ( for the UK anyway)? I hope you are right.

That impression is incorrect. Viruses tend to stay forever (even where vaccines are effective) So, I personally, don't see why Covid would be any different. I would (again personal opinion only) expect tens of thousands of people to die from Covid each year in the UK for the foreseeable future. 

That, for me, only emphasises the importance of moving to managing mortality risk, economic outcomes and social cohesion in the round - and stepping away from Covid exceptionalism.

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

That impression is incorrect. Viruses tend to stay forever (even where vaccines are effective) So, I personally, don't see why Covid would be any different. I would (again personal opinion only) expect tens of thousands of people to die from Covid each year in the UK for the foreseeable future. 

That, for me, only emphasises the importance of moving to managing mortality risk, economic outcomes and social cohesion in the round - and stepping away from Covid exceptionalism.

Not being funny, but you sound like a full on No voting Tory; but one of those ones that would rather not be outspoken about it.  Tends to vote purely for your personal gain. Could be wrong.  

14 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Not being funny, but you sound like a full on No voting Tory; but one of those ones that would rather not be outspoken about it.  Tends to vote purely for your personal gain. Could be wrong.  

Ha, that's a first! Don't think I've ever been accused of not being outspoken before. 

Whatever makes you feel better is fine. 

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Right who are the Iranian agents on here?...

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1852941/middle-east

Iran is a country that I’d love to visit and freely roam around. Citizens of every country in the world can do so, apart from two, us and the Yanks. We need to be on guided tours with a government minder.

If the Iranians can fuck up the UK, and treat Scotland like the vast majority of the worlds citizens, then good luck to them. 

1 minute ago, Broath Boy said:

Help please. Angus South, should I go for SNP 1 and 2 or SNP 1 and Alba 2 or SNP 1 and Another 2, I’m looking for a Yes majority, cheers.

If you are looking solely for a Yes Majority then SNP1/2 is the best set of votes to go for as that will maximise the number of seats that the SNP will win.

If you are looking for an increased majority then you might consider voting for either Alba or the Greens.   The Greens didn't win a list seat in 2016 but of the two they would appear best placed to gain a seat this time around as they are already polling over the likely threshold.  Alba are not currently there.  So the Greens would be the least risky of the two options in terms of delivering a list MSP.  

8 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Help please. Angus South, should I go for SNP 1 and 2 or SNP 1 and Alba 2 or SNP 1 and Another 2, I’m looking for a Yes majority, cheers.

You fall under the northeast in the list seat, for me its a no brainer with voting alba,, the tories got three list seat last time round and will probably get the same this time unless alba pinch from them,, salmond getting in should be a mouth watering prospect for anyone of indy aspirations 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You fall under the northeast in the list seat, for me its a no brainer with voting alba,, the tories got three list seat last time round and will probably get the same this time unless alba pinch from them

I agree. SNP, ALBA.