Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

27 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

interesting that you consider Orange matches as a form of protest when the Order are at pains to point out that it is a celebration. Whatever way it is painted it is in reality a bigot-fest and a party in power for as long as the SNP have been should be brave enough to do something about it. If the first step is re-routing to parks, which is something I think is a good initial approach, then they should be brave enough to do that rather than constantly brush it under the carpet. 

Awful idea 

I'm generally against banning things, categorising it as banning it cause you don't like it seems like a false equivalence for this issue though. It's about supremacy or at least exceptionalism in some cases and antagonisism against historical minorities in others.

I'd introduce guidelines too keep it to celebration. Hard to make rules for these things thoug cause the participants aren't a homogenous group it means different things to different people.

3 hours ago, phart said:

I'm generally against banning things, categorising it as banning it cause you don't like it seems like a false equivalence for this issue though. It's about supremacy or at least exceptionalism in some cases and antagonisism against historical minorities in others.

I'd introduce guidelines too keep it to celebration. Hard to make rules for these things thoug cause the participants aren't a homogenous group it means different things to different people.

At the end of the day it is a march but things need taken into consideration. Is it inflammatory or antagonistic by its chosen route and content of the march as in songs sung or certain inflammatory slogans or clothing worn. I have seen very few Orange marches so cannot comment on what they are like. I have been on a couple of independence marches and they have always been peaceful occasions.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Any idea which tory is standing in ruth davidsons seat when she steps aside in may? 

Some local councillor from Corstorphine and former staffer with the Scottish Tories.  Looks like a total spanner as well.

Robertson shouldn't have too much trouble with him, only issue would potentially be the same thing that happened in 2016 with the Green vote eating into the Indy vote and letting the Tory through the middle.

The Labour candidate seems to be pushing herself for the list so that tells you all you need to know.

Edited by aaid

Did anybody watch the "Scottish" Labour party political broadcast last night? Probably just me and aboot 10 other folk.

Wow, just, wow. 

The whole broadcast was just SIR Keir Starmer (nobody else) and a big fuk off union flag. He just havered on and I don't think he mentioned Scotland once. I was half expecting them to play Jerusalem at the end.

I'm pretty sure I know who is going to win the party brach leadership election.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Did anybody watch the "Scottish" Labour party political broadcast last night? Probably just me and aboot 10 other folk.

Wow, just, wow. 

The whole broadcast was just SIR Keir Starmer (nobody else) and a big fuk off union flag. He just havered on and I don't think he mentioned Scotland once. I was half expecting them to play Jerusalem at the end.

I'm pretty sure I know who is going to win the party brach leadership election.

It was shown down South as well. It was awful, big strategically placed Butchers Apron, we're not Nationalist we're patriotic Brits. All aspirational stuff about uniting 'the nation', better together, just vacuous guff that Johnson could have spouted as well. Massively short on substance. My wife is a Labour party member but said she is increasingly disappointed by Starmer.

Edited by Hertsscot

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Read that earlier, some of it makes sense, most of it doesn’t. Said it before in relation to Scottish Labour, but even UK Labour now, they seem to be miles out of touch, I could do a better job advising them, and I want them to get beat and lose elections for Christ sake. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Keir is Torylite, that PPB was straight out of the Boris playbook. 

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. An Establishment cunt to his bootstraps.

My dad was a trade union man, shipyard worker and Labour man for a huge part of his life. Now a SNP man to his bootstraps. Cunts like Starmer are a huge reason why my old man turned his back on those cunts. Labour turned its back on the working man. I've said it before, but really hope Labour die a horrible death. A slow painful one. 

10 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. An Establishment cunt to his bootstraps.

My dad was a trade union man, shipyard worker and Labour man for a huge part of his life. Now a SNP man to his bootstraps. Cunts like Starmer are a huge reason why my old man turned his back on those cunts. Labour turned its back on the working man. I've said it before, but really hope Labour die a horrible death. A slow painful one. 

And there is no sign of their course changing watching Politics Scotland last weekend. Sarwar was mapping out his plans if (as expected) he becomes leader of Scottish Labour and was adamant he would stand against IndyRef2 shortly after spouting that he'd make Scottish Labour appeal more to Scots. When the presenter asked how could he do that if he were to ignore the clamour for IndyRef2 nd all he could come back with was pro-British crap that he believed in.

14 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

It was shown down South as well. It was awful, big strategically placed Butchers Apron, we're not Nationalist we're patriotic Brits. All aspirational stuff about uniting 'the nation', better together, just vacuous guff that Johnson could have spouted as well. Massively short on substance. My wife is a Labour party member but said she is increasingly disappointed by Starmer.

I didn't realise that. It was billed up here as a PPB for Scottish Labour. I thought it was for the Holyrood elections.

I sometimes feel sorry for folk living in England. But at least you'll get your vaccinations quicker than us.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But at least you'll get your vaccinations quicker than us.

Will they ... 

Dont believe the hype 

Feb 1st   Scotland vacinated  34,881 people =  6.388 per million

England Vacinated 280,513 people = 4.983 per million

this is a marathion not a sprint.  

Scotland could be doing better , however lets wait and see where we are at end of March 

I hate the way its been made political and into a numbers game 

7 minutes ago, stocky said:

Will they ... 

Dont believe the hype 

Feb 1st   Scotland vacinated  34,881 people =  6.388 per million

England Vacinated 280,513 people = 4.983 per million

this is a marathion not a sprint.  

Scotland could be doing better , however lets wait and see where we are at end of March 

I hate the way its been made political and into a numbers game 

I agree it shouldn't be looked at as a competition. It was just a wee joke to try to make folk living in England feel a wee bit better. But....

Distribution of the vaccine is controlled in England. If it looks like we are catching up, they can just turn the tap off. Not that they would ever consider doing that, obviously. Especially if it's the main issue that the Unionists are fighting the election campaign on.

Only really, really cynical folk would think that.

I was expecting to be vaccinated the first two weeks of March, but got a phone call yesterday and have an appointment on Sunday (they originally said 2.30 on Saturday but who wants to be vaccinated minutes before the Morton v Raith stream goes live?).  It appears that the vaccination programme in Scotland is going ahead faster than the mainstream media would have you believe.

I notice on the BBC they said that 100% of care home residents or over 80s in England "had been offered" a vaccination.  Now call me cynical but being offered is not the same as being vaccinated.  I smell more shite coming from the Tory spin machine.

3 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I notice on the BBC they said that 100% of care home residents or over 80s in England "had been offered" a vaccination.  Now call me cynical but being offered is not the same as being vaccinated.  I smell more shite coming from the Tory spin machine.

To be fair to them, and that's not like me to do that, there could be a good reason for doing that. If the uptake hasn't been as high as they had hoped for, it might not be a good idea to advertise that.