Under 21 squad - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is he any good at right back? 

He seems quite effective as a defensive mid, centre back or right back. 

To be honest the lack of width last night was so obvious and Ryan Fraser injected pace and width when he came on - the formation is what’s wrong more than the personnel. But also some of the personnel lol. 

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

To be honest the lack of width last night was so obvious and Ryan Fraser injected pace and width when he came on - the formation is what’s wrong more than the personnel. But also some of the personnel lol. 

Mcrorie is a class act, best in midfield in my view but far far better than O'Donnell at right back.

I thought the problem last night offensively was more the personnel than the formation. Other than occasionally mcginn driving forward, we had no creativity or penetration and two strikers who won't create goals on their own. I'd sacrifice one striker, move mcginn up one and have Christie or Armstrong running from deeper.

The positive for me last night, aside from the obvious point of winning the game, was we didn't look like conceding at all.

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think McCrorie will offer much as a right wing back. Right back yes, but not wing back - he’d be a fish out of water. I would have him as the right sided centre half in a three (since that seems to be the formation). Right wing back I’d have Armstrong. He’s faster than Fraser over anything more than about 6 yards, has a better engine, and is more physical. 

That's a huge result for us. Not only does it give us a win over one of our main rivals, but it ensures if we do finish level on points with the Czechs we'll be above them on head-to-head.

Lithuania's win against Greece yesterday partially compensates for our draw against them earlier in the campaign. Hopefully Lithuania can take points off of at least one of the Czechs or Croatia in their final games. The Greeks may be out of it by the time we play them on the final matchday.

54 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Just need to make sure they do the job against San Marino this week.

November could be one hell of a week for Scottish football. Can you imagine we qualify for Euro 2020, win promotion in the Nations League and the u21s qualify too?! 

And i thought i was happy and positive 😂

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hornby has always looked the part and he now looks ready for the A squad. The Czechs couldn’t handle him. 

I disagree, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough. 

9 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

I disagree, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough. 

Seriously? He was the best player on the pitch last night, a brilliant centre forwards performance from him, touch, hold up play, running the channels, creating space for others, an assist and a goal! What wasn't good enough last night? He is by far our best young prospect up front

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Seriously? He was the best player on the pitch last night, a brilliant centre forwards performance from him, touch, hold up play, running the channels, creating space for others, an assist and a goal! What wasn't good enough last night? He is by far our best young prospect up front

Clarke would probably play him at centre half if he promoted him to the big team 😜

8 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Clarke would probably play him at centre half if he promoted him to the big team 😜

Haha to be fair McTominay done alright the other night, still not the long term answer and I think we miss his bite in midfield. Hopefully McCrorie can come in and play right sided centre half in a back 3. With Hornby beside him there's no stopping us 🤪

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

And i thought i was happy and positive 😂

I'm not saying I think all 3 will happen but I can dream for a few days at least.  

More than likely we won't get 4 points against Slovakia and Czech Rep and we will struggle to beat San Marino U21s 😆