Under 21 squad - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Total myth.

We have McTominay playing at a high level. Cut to next season and Fleck and Armstrong could be in the English Championship.

As far as I'm concerned, the midfield spots are up for grab. If McCrorie is playing well, he should be in the senior squad. No question.

McTominay will barley get a game this season. Armstrong and Fleck will play more than him in the same league this season. 

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Thankfully, the general consensus around here is finally seeing that we are not strong in midfield.

People mocked me for suggesting that Robertson should play as anchorman. Watch the Czech match again. Robertson drifted into the middle of midfield and passes the ball to Palmer, leading to the equaliser. So, Robertson did more in 4 seconds than McLean and McGregor have done throughout their Scotland careers.

To sum it up. We are not in any position to turn our nose up at a decent midfielder.

Don't disagree with the first bit, not as strong as we think.

Robertson is one of the best left backs about, thats where he should play. Wasted anywhere else. 

Mcrorie needs more game time before being called in as he has barley played first team football.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

McTominay will barley get a game this season. Armstrong and Fleck will play more than him in the same league this season. 

I don't know. The fact that McTominay wasn't in the squad for United's previous match suggests that he'll be in the squad on Saturday.

The match against Crystal Palace was a strange one. Pogba gave the ball away 18 times. And four of those were in one minute. Believe it or not, McTominay was their best performer against Palace... Not that that's saying much.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Robertson is one of the best left backs about, thats where he should play. Wasted anywhere else. 

Mcrorie needs more game time before being called in as he has barley played first team football.

It's something Clarke should ponder. When he was involved in the equalizer, if either Fleck of McGregor was in his position, they would've passed it backwards to calm things down. But Robertson swept it to Palmer. He's every bit as good on the ball as Trent AA, and TAA is being talked about as a future midfielder. The center of our midfield is like pudding.

Agreed. Hopefully, he develops.

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

McCrorie has played in Midfield and on the the right side of a back 3 for Aberdeen this season, he has also played right back for the u21s their whole campaign so he is very versatile and has generally played well in every position he's played so far.

Yeh I still can't see him getting called up very soon. He's got too much competition for a place in midfield which is his best position unless Clarke fancies playing him at centre back or right back which I doubt he would. I like him as a player but he will really have to stand out massively for Aberdeen if he's to get a call up as theres several midfielders ahead of him plus young guys like Gilmour and Turnbull coming through. 

Edited by mccaughey85

To put some focus on the actually games and campaign.

Current table -

1. P 7, 15 points - Czech Rep
  2. P 6, 13 points - Greece
  3. P 6, 11 points - Scotland
  4. P 6, 10 points - Croatia
  5. P 6, 4 points - Lithuania
  6. P 7, 0 points - San Marino

The top 4 all play each other again, other than Czech Rep and Croatia who have played each other twice already.  

It's going to be really tight and I imagine we will need 10 points to win the group, with 3 of them needing to be from beating Czech Rep in the next match.  

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

To put some focus on the actually games and campaign.

Current table -

1. P 7, 15 points - Czech Rep
  2. P 6, 13 points - Greece
  3. P 6, 11 points - Scotland
  4. P 6, 10 points - Croatia
  5. P 6, 4 points - Lithuania
  6. P 7, 0 points - San Marino

The top 4 all play each other again, other than Czech Rep and Croatia who have played each other twice already.  

It's going to be really tight and I imagine we will need 10 points to win the group, with 3 of them needing to be from beating Czech Rep in the next match.  

Looking at the fixtures, I noticed the Czechs have to go away in all their matches, whilst the Greeks are at home for their three against the top four.

It's conceivable all four teams could be separated by three points at the end of this.

Czech Rep

1. Scotland (A)
  2. Lithuania (A)
  3. Greece (A)
  4. N/A

Greece

1. Lithuania (A)
  2. Croatia (H)
  3. Czech Rep (H)
  4. Scotland (H)

Scotland

1. Czech Rep (H)
  2. San Marino (A)
  3. Croatia (H)
  4. Greece (A)

Croatia

1. San Marino (H)
  2. Greece (A)
  3. Scotland (A)
  4. Lithuania (H)

Assuming games against San Marino and Lithuania are won by all sides, you're looking at a situation where six points from our other three games should be enough to see us finish second and potentially take one of the best five second-placed slots (five could be enough, depending on other results). Win all our games and we'll qualify no matter what.

12 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s played with the u17s and u19s, so it’s not like he’s been drafted in from nowhere. 

I know, I'm just commenting that it's good he seems up for it.

6 hours ago, bazmidd said:

How is Hickey not in this squad by the way!

It might be to do with COVID and Italy ?

The reason he's not been officially announced until today by Bologna as their player is because every new Italian football transfer has to pass two negative COVID tests before joining up with their new teammates.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I know, I'm just commenting that it's good he seems up for it.

It might be to do with COVID and Italy ?

The reason he's not been officially announced until today by Bologna as their player is because every new Italian football transfer has to pass two negative COVID tests before joining up with their new teammates.

Italy is not on the list for quarantine after visiting so strange. Don't think he has actually been in any of the u21 squads to my knowledge. Good player would definitely help having him in there at left back. That would be a right good back 5 at that level.

McCrorie

McCrorie.      Porteous.   Johnston.   Hickey

7 hours ago, bazmidd said:

How is Hickey not in this squad by the way!

It's the same with Ethan Hamilton when he was with Manchester United. He's now with Peterborough.

Yes, he's not played at a higher level than English League one, but calling up players from Ayr United, MK Dons etc, over him is just crazy.

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If he is a right back, i would call him up for a full cap next month

If I were Clarke, I'd at least consider calling up Ashby. If Palmer and O'Donnell get sick or injured, then he may have no choice in the matter.

It would also be hilarious to hear Willie Miller's flakey on Radio Scotland when he hears a teenager has been called up - no debut until your at least 25 seems to be his bizarre way of thinking. :lol: ^?^

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's the same with Ethan Hamilton when he was with Manchester United. He's now with Peterborough.

Yes, he's not played at a higher level than English League one, but calling up players from Ayr United, MK Dons etc, over him is just crazy.

Don't completely agree with that tbh, Delle Alli came from MK Dons and he's turned out alright, the club the player plays for doesn't really matter, it's his talent and attitude that counts

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Does that not answer your own question? "He's now at Peterborough". I've seen a few Man Utd and Arsenal kids on loan over the years and a number were rubbish. Anyway, I'm not saying that Hamilton isn't any use as I've never seen him but some good players come through the Scottish lower leagues and it makes sense for them to be in the U21s. 

2 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Don't completely agree with that tbh, Delle Alli came from MK Dons and he's turned out alright, the club the player plays for doesn't really matter, it's his talent and attitude that counts

No, I know what you mean. Didn't mean to demonize MK Dons, etc. I think we should be looking at the two kids at Bayern and the three at Man City.

It's time to fast track some players.

3 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Does that not answer your own question? "He's now at Peterborough". I've seen a few Man Utd and Arsenal kids on loan over the years and a number were rubbish. Anyway, I'm not saying that Hamilton isn't any use as I've never seen him but some good players come through the Scottish lower leagues and it makes sense for them to be in the U21s. 

Hamilton is still only 21 and I'm talking about under 21 level. Its strange that he's never been included in the under 21 team. 

But yes, players don't always flourish. United had Davide Petrucci and James Wilson, at youth level they were destined for the top...

On 9/24/2020 at 8:02 PM, bazmidd said:

Italy is not on the list for quarantine after visiting so strange. Don't think he has actually been in any of the u21 squads to my knowledge. Good player would definitely help having him in there at left back. That would be a right good back 5 at that level.

McCrorie

McCrorie.      Porteous.   Johnston.   Hickey

Just noticed that Johnston had turned 22 which means that 4 out of 5 of these players are actually 22 yet none of them has any top flight experience. 

It seems that a lot of the players we regarded as promising youngsters aren't really progressing as quickly as we had hoped. They don't have a full cap between them yet which is a worry.

There have  of course been exceptions but it isn't very promising going by their current trajectory 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fair play to him but I would say Ferguson would be more deserving unless he plans on playing mcrorie at right back. 

Yeah I think you might be right. Although McCrorie is 22 and will no longer be eligible for the U21s after the qualifiers