Under 21 squad - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

7 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I think some of the Under 21s may get promoted to the senior squad as well. Ross McCrorie has made a good start to the season could see him coming in maybe Porteous also

Yes, that's the main purpose of age restrictions, to promote to seniors. Think this time around they will only get in if there are injuries. Clarke probably knows his team V Israel.

20 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Yes, that's the main purpose of age restrictions, to promote to seniors. Think this time around they will only get in if there are injuries. Clarke probably knows his team V Israel.

I think Porteous should get called up but we have too many central midfielders playing at a high level to justify promoting mcrorie. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

we have too many central midfielders playing at a high level to justify promoting mcrorie. 

Total myth.

We have McTominay playing at a high level. Cut to next season and Fleck and Armstrong could be in the English Championship.

As far as I'm concerned, the midfield spots are up for grab. If McCrorie is playing well, he should be in the senior squad. No question.

41 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Total myth.

We have McTominay playing at a high level. Cut to next season and Fleck and Armstrong could be in the English Championship.

As far as I'm concerned, the midfield spots are up for grab. If McCrorie is playing well, he should be in the senior squad. No question.

I thought you weren't debating with me anymore? Try and keep your word. You babble too much nonsense to have any kind of meaningful discussion. 

50 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought you weren't debating with me anymore? Try and keep your word. You babble too much nonsense to have any kind of meaningful discussion. 

Thankfully, the general consensus around here is finally seeing that we are not strong in midfield.

People mocked me for suggesting that Robertson should play as anchorman. Watch the Czech match again. Robertson drifted into the middle of midfield and passes the ball to Palmer, leading to the equaliser. So, Robertson did more in 4 seconds than McLean and McGregor have done throughout their Scotland careers.

To sum it up. We are not in any position to turn our nose up at a decent midfielder.

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Thankfully, the general consensus around here is finally seeing that we are not strong in midfield.

People mocked me for suggesting that Robertson should play as anchorman. Watch the Czech match again. Robertson drifted into the middle of midfield and passes the ball to Palmer, leading to the equaliser. So, Robertson did more in 4 seconds than McLean and McGregor have done throughout their Scotland careers.

To sum it up. We are not in any position to turn our nose up at a decent midfielder.

Go on - tell us Kimmich sometimes plays there for Germany. You know you want to...

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Total myth.

I think it's best to leave McCrorie, and players such as Porteous and Hornby, in the U21s until the end of these qualifiers and then take a serious look at them for the first team. We've still got a real chance of qualifying and I feel these players would learn more by playing in the final four U21 matches than by sitting on the first team bench.

4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think it's best to leave McCrorie, and players such as Porteous and Hornby, in the U21s until the end of these qualifiers and then take a serious look at them for the first team. We've still got a real chance of qualifying and I feel these players would learn more by playing in the final four U21 matches than by sitting on the first team bench.

Totally get what you're saying... However, I'd promote three of the players you just mentioned, now. They aren't going to learn anything from under 21 level.

Generally, I don't rate the u21 squad. The younger squads are better. So, by promoting those three into the seniors it would give us a chance to prompts three u19 players into the u21s.

I don't think the u21s will qualify.

41 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Yeh I would agree but we are usually short on decent centre backs which may result in us having to promote Porteous. Mccrorie is a good midfielder but we have quite a few midfielders who are ahead of him in the queue so he might have to wait a bit longer. 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

As I said, you babble complete nonsense as shown by this and most of your other posts. 

That's not too bad a squad. I think there are a number there who'll get caps for the seniors (both McCrories, Ferguson, Turnbull, Campbell and Porteous) and several I'm really keen to watch. Add in Gilmour and some of the other age groups and the future is bright. Some make it, some don't and it's often not the ones you expect. That's just the way it is.

Would like to see this Ashby as it's exciting to think there might be competition for RB soon.

I'd be tempted to ask what you think our line up will be in 2024 but I for one don't want to suggest one to get shot down! Ok....

1. McCrorie

2. N Patterson

3. Robertson/Tierney

4 & 5. Porteous/Souttar/Morrison

6. McCrorie

7. McGinn

8. Gilmour

9. Hornby (probably not)

10. Turnbull

11. Johnston

20200923_182036.jpg

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought you weren't debating with me anymore?

Eh? Have we ever talked?

And going by your "debating skills" on the other thread (anything that differs from your opinion is "nonsense") I doubt you'd cut any ice with me. Which is probably why I don't remember talking to you.

Anyway.

Back on topic.

Ross McCrorie, Porteous and Hornby should be in the full team.

The midfield looks awful. We have youngsters with Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Manchester City, etc. Who gets called up? Kelly, Middleton and Maguire and oh look.. A player from Ayr United. Cool.

42 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That's not too bad a squad. I think there are a number there who'll get caps for the seniors (both McCrories, Ferguson, Turnbull, Campbell and Porteous) and several I'm really keen to watch. Add in Gilmour and some of the other age groups and the future is bright. Some make it, some don't and it's often not the ones you expect. That's just the way it is.

Would like to see this Ashby as it's exciting to think there might be competition for RB soon.

I'd be tempted to ask what you think our line up will be in 2024 but I for one don't want to suggest one to get shot down! Ok....

1. McCrorie

2. N Patterson

3. Robertson/Tierney

4 & 5. Porteous/Souttar/Morrison

6. McCrorie

7. McGinn

8. Gilmour

9. Hornby (probably not)

10. Turnbull

11. Johnston

20200923_182036.jpg

I never realised campbell was under 21. He was very impressive on sunday. 

Theres some great potential in that U21 squad. 

I hate being all wishy washy sentimental but I do hope Allan Campbell will eventually get a couple caps one day.

He's one hell of a worker on the park when I've seen him for Motherwell and Scotland U21s and he looks like one of these lads who's just playing because he loves the game*.

*You'd be surprised how many players actually don't.

It's not uncommon for players who are over 21 to play at under 21 level. If a player is 21 when the first match of the current tournament begins, he'll be eligible to complete the entire tournament, regardless of age.

James Milner was 23 when he played at the U21 European Championships in 2009. (He was born January '86). No wonder he won 46 caps at u21 level.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I would agree but we are usually short on decent centre backs which may result in us having to promote Porteous. Mccrorie is a good midfielder but we have quite a few midfielders who are ahead of him in the queue so he might have to wait a bit longer. 

McCrorie has played in Midfield and on the the right side of a back 3 for Aberdeen this season, he has also played right back for the u21s their whole campaign so he is very versatile and has generally played well in every position he's played so far.