Under 21 squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We were composed enough in the final third to create quite a few chances on another day it could have been 2 or 3 nil.

Checked to see the Lithuanian league position as opposed to ours and it looks like it barely closed down because of lock down so no fitness excuses on their behalf.

We release the ball so much quicker at this level, it is so much better to watch.

We created about 2 clear cut chances prior to the goal. Our decision making in the final third was poor. 

22 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Stephen Kelly is the exact same player. Just a tenacious wee bastard in the middle of the park

I think Kelly has quite a bit more flare, but Campbell has the games under his belt. Agree with other poster that Campbell probably won’t get many full caps, if any, but over the course of a season he must be invaluable to a club side. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Kelly has quite a bit more flare, but Campbell has the games under his belt. Agree with other poster that Campbell probably won’t get many full caps, if any, but over the course of a season he must be invaluable to a club side. 

He would have to get a move to the old firm or to a decent English championship side before he would be considered. Also the amount of midfielders we have playing epl and at celtic will mean he's unlikely to ever get capped unless he really hits the big time. 

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

My favourite player for Motherwell over the past few seasons, he leaves everything on the pitch...I'd be amazed if he ever gets a full international cap though

That'd be a shame considering he'd bust a gut for the team, whereas you've got the likes of Sicknote Fraser who more or less has a guaranteed starting place but couldn't give a fck.

It was notable that a back 3 was also used in this game. Right to left -  McRorie, Porteous and Johnston. McRorie could be an option for the spot currently held by McTominay. Nathan Patterson player right wing back. He at least seems to have the physique and athleticism required - unlike Forrest and Fraser whose wee legs are better suited for short bursts in the final third. 

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It was notable that a back 3 was also used in this game. Right to left -  McRorie, Porteous and Johnston. McRorie could be an option for the spot currently held by McTominay. Nathan Patterson player right wing back. He at least seems to have the physique and athleticism required - unlike Forrest and Fraser whose wee legs are better suited for short bursts in the final third. 

Mcrorie has been utilised in a back 3 with mckenna, arguably this has been succesful as its 4 wins on the bounce now. Usually id say they havent been tested but one of the wins was hibs away. 

If clarke is to persist with 3 at the back, mcrorie ia a better option at the back as its frees up mctominey to player further forward.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Mcrorie has been utilised in a back 3 with mckenna, arguably this has been succesful as its 4 wins on the bounce now. Usually id say they havent been tested but one of the wins was hibs away. 

If clarke is to persist with 3 at the back, mcrorie ia a better option at the back as its frees up mctominey to player further forward.

Thought McCrorie's best game for Aberdeen was as a defensive mid against Hibs, think the Dons had Considine back from injury and partnered McKenn and Taylor( ??) McCrorie had  a decent partnership with Lewis Ferguson.

Great thing about McCrorie is his versatility. Hope he goes on to greater heights.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I had thought he played midfield for some of those games, but anyway I think right side of a three is his best chance of a game for Scotland. He’s probably not dominant enough to be one of two centre backs, there are more technical midfielders available and right back probably not his game (although he’s played there before also).

I don’t like three at the back as we tend to get carved open too easily and our wingers are lost, but if we have to play it he would be a good shout, as would Paterson outside him, in time. 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, Taylor1996 said:

You can be average and still be able to play in the EPL. That league is good, but let's not pretend that it's filled with Pirlo's and Messi's.

I don't think it's a case of McGregor not testing himself elsewhere, it's more of a case of no one from a better league wanting him. There's a reason for that.

Take Turnbull, for example. In a couple of years he'll be off to the EPL because Celtic will have received an offer that they can't refuse.

No but it's filled with Agueros and de Bruynes - far greater than the dross Declan Gallagher has had to face.

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Oh really? Filled?

So, Burnley and Aston Villa, etc, have players of the ability of Aguero and De Bruyne?

Aston Villa finished one above the relegation places and have Grealish and Mcginn. That's just two players from the lowest placed team that would run riot in the SPL. Player for player I doubt if there's any player in the SPL who would get a regular game in the EPL apart from maybe a handful at the old firm.

Surprised you rate the SPL so highly.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

No, was right centre back with Nathan Paterson as right wing back. Daniel Harvie was the left wing back. Porteous and Johnston the other two centre halves. 

No, it was a 4-2-3-1 McCrorie at right back and Patterson right midfield. Campbell generally sitting deepest of the Midfielders and Turnbull in behind Hornby

Doohan

McCrorie.        Porteous.     Johnston.    Harvie

Campbell.    Ferguson

Patterson.               Turnbull.              Middleton

Hornby

Edited by bazmidd

17 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

No, it was a 4-2-3-1 McCrorie at right back and Patterson right midfield. Campbell generally sitting deepest of the Midfielders and Turnbull in behind Hornby

Doohan

McCrorie.        Porteous.     Johnston.    Harvie

Campbell.    Ferguson

Patterson.               Turnbull.              Middleton

Hornby

Yes, I think you’re right enough. The reality didn’t match the personnel, on reflection. 

59 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Aston Villa finished one above the relegation places and have Grealish and Mcginn. That's just two players from the lowest placed team that would run riot in the SPL. Player for player I doubt if there's any player in the SPL who would get a regular game in the EPL apart from maybe a handful at the old firm.

Surprised you rate the SPL so highly.

McGinn done well in the SPL, but I don't remember him running riot.

People act like we have dozens of players in the EPL. 7 of the players that started on Monday are playing in the English Championship or SPL.

And no, the SPL is bad. It's full of honest professionals, but the standard isn't good.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

McGinn done well in the SPL, but I don't remember him running riot.

People act like we have dozens of players in the EPL. 7 of the players that started on Monday are playing in the English Championship or SPL.

And no, the SPL is bad. It's full of honest professionals, but the standard isn't good.

McGinn is twice the player now than he was last time we saw him in the SPL, so he would run riot.

The fact that Christie and Mckenna were the only SPL players proves that a move to the EPL is a massive step. And the opposition is as far detached from ours it may as well be regarded as full of  Agueros and de Bruynes.

I doubt if any of our Championship players will be involved in next seasons playoffs, in fact apart from Marshall, unless he loses form, I doubt if any of them will be first team regulars.

Why am I getting involved in a discussion that has nothing to do with the thread title.

Let's leave it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent squad for next month. Ashby in which will tell us a lot about his involvement. ( now and future)

A win against the Czechs could see us in a really strong position to qualify.

After that home to Croatia and away to Greece.

Czechs have played san Marino twice already.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54262348?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story