Under 21 squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

No Doig?? Might be under 19 but form warrants a higher call up.

I've been very impressed by him too, from what I've seen so far. 

I think the SFA have this rule though that they don't promote players from one age group to another, i.e. if someone is still eligible for the under-19s, he'll stay with them rather than be promoted to the under-21s. Don't know why; maybe it's to give as many players a chance as possible.

18 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Tom McIntyre, Porteous, Hornby, Fergusson and Turnbull will all get caps...the mcrorie goalie is likely too

McCrorie (the goalie) and Turnbull can't be a kick in the tail from making the full squad just now.  Compared to some under-21 squads I think that one looks okay.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Generally previous under 21 squads only provide the future national team with 3 or 4 players at a time. Maybe even less than that. The squad is pretty decent. 

Absolutely right. Best under 21 performance I have ever seen was against Germany in Germany in 2003. Only Caldwell out of that team played more than a handful of matches at full level. Although the bench had McGregor, Maloney and D Fletcher on it 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international-matches/?mid=28619

7 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Your last paragraph is reasonable, but I always base my views on inclusion of all levels. It is also true that “in a few years” Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, and Turnbull will be a lot better than they are now and will be key players in the equivalent of top half EPL sides. I also have high hopes for Dean Campbell, Barjonas and Marc Leonard amongst others  - and that’s just central midfield. 

When the Performance School graduates make the step up (Which Gilmour is one of them) they'll make players like McGregor, MacArthur, Christie, Fleck, etc, look like they were born with their feet on the wrong leg.

The technical ability of our u17/19 is leaps and bounds that of our seniors.

The same with the Performance Schools center backs... They can... Wait for it... Actually defend! King and Morrison will make defenders like McKenna and Gallagher look like... McKenna and Gallagher...

20 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

When the Performance School graduates make the step up (Which Gilmour is one of them) they'll make players like McGregor, MacArthur, Christie, Fleck, etc, look like they were born with their feet on the wrong leg.

The technical ability of our u17/19 is leaps and bounds that of our seniors.

The same with the Performance Schools center backs... They can... Wait for it... Actually defend! King and Morrison will make defenders like McKenna and Gallagher look like... McKenna and Gallagher...

Hope you’re right. Lewis Neilson, just turned 17, and a performance school graduate, put in a very accomplished performance yesterday at RB for DUFC. I’m sure he’ll end up as a CH. Big strong lad but a very decent footballer

On 8/22/2020 at 1:18 AM, Taylor1996 said:

We probably won't beat Israel in the playoffs.

Darren Fletcher was veering towards being world class. If he didn't have his illness he would've been on par with Keane and Robson. It's a shame that illness robbed him of his best years. Well, Brown would get into our team right now, and he was better five years ago. 

Excellent depth? It isn't. Even our first choice midfielders are... Decent. Take out McTominay and McGinn and Armstrong, I'm not sure who else we have. 

Is it, though? We have a few kids at Bayern, Chelsea and Man City. Give it a few years and we'll look back and cringe at this set of midfielders. Personally, I prefer watching Scotland u17s than our seniors.

Talk about delusional. You must be a Celtic fan.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Hope you’re right. Lewis Neilson, just turned 17, and a performance school graduate, put in a very accomplished performance yesterday at RB for DUFC. I’m sure he’ll end up as a CH. Big strong lad but a very decent footballer

Brilliant to hear.

Last season watching the Scotland u17 and 19s was a breath of fresh air. And I'm as cynical as anyone.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Talk about delusional. You must be a Celtic fan.

Eww!

(Does that answer your question?)

The old firm should be shipped of to either half of Ireland and never spoke of again in Scotland.

(If not, does that answer your question?)

Fine. I'll go to the other side, if it helps your paranoia. Barry Ferguson could still probably get into our best 11. 😛

Edited by Taylor1996

21 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Brilliant to hear.

Last season watching the Scotland u17 and 19s was a breath of fresh air. And I'm as cynical as anyone.

Eww!

(Does that answer your question?)

The old firm should be shipped of to either half of Ireland and never spoke of again in Scotland.

(If not, does that answer your question?)

Fine. I'll go to the other side, if it helps your paranoia. Barry Ferguson could still probably get into our best 11. 😛

I'm not paranoid but neither Barry F or Scott Brown could get into our potential first eleven right now.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:38 AM, Burj_Alba said:

Johnstone, Patterson, Porteus McCrory ( GK) Turnbull, Mayo, McIntyte and hopefully one of the Campbells all have chances. 

Not sure why he's not being mentioned... I'd be astonished if Lewis Ferguson didn't pick up a Scotland cap over the course of his career. I expect he'll have one within a couple of seasons.

Gilmour aside , as I think he’s well ahead of others, who do people think are Scotland’s best U21’s . Haven’t watched them live for a while but it doesn’t seem to be a false dawn to think a half decent National team is soon here. 

1 hour ago, Shaundy said:

Gilmour aside , as I think he’s well ahead of others, who do people think are Scotland’s best U21’s . Haven’t watched them live for a while but it doesn’t seem to be a false dawn to think a half decent National team is soon here. 

Porteous; Patterson; Scott; Turnbull and Hornby should be in the full squad.

Our U21 team is alright. No better than that.

The real shining lights, however, are in the u17s and u19. Once those kids progress, I'm positive we'll qualify for future tournaments.

19 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Porteous; Patterson; Scott; Turnbull and Hornby should be in the full squad.

Our U21 team is alright. No better than that.

The real shining lights, however, are in the u17s and u19. Once those kids progress, I'm positive we'll qualify for future tournaments.

Would really love Patterson to be given his chance. I might be disappointed but an injury to Tavernier is maybe all that stands in his way of making the scotland squad

On 8/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Good call.

Everton, Southampton, Leicester City and Leeds have been scouting Lewis Neilson.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:29 PM, Taylor1996 said:

I beg your pardon.

We are not strong in midfield. If you think we are, then fine.

We have central midfielders playing for Sheffield United, Aston Villa, Southampton, Celtic. Those are not great teams.

If you think the aforementioned are great teams, then maybe you're "at it". Whatever that means.

Are you so arrogant as to think that people shouldn't have opinions that differ from yours?

Odd criteria. In the mid 90s Gary Mac was let go by Leeds and was involved in relegation battle at Coventry before Liverpool picked him up as a squad player.

Paul Lambert was being released by Motherwell in 1996. No one could've predicted the improvement he'd make over next few years.

John Collins got a great move to Monaco but then struggled to impose himself back in England at Everton. Was probably more effective at Fulham but he'd long retired from national team by then.

Stuart McCall was moving to Bradford in division one after leaving Rangers. Last cap in 1998.

Barry Ferguson just coming through at the time.

Durrant injured.

Decent crop of midfielders who played their parts in Scotland qualifying for three tournaments in the 90s.

Can't believe people are still arguing Hornby should still be in the senior team, I thought he'd stopped being flavour of the month by now. Not good enough to get near the Everton first team and discarded by them having not even impressed in Under-23 football, mediocre performances for a mediocre Belgian team who he lost his place at, and looked poor in recent under-21 games. Yet because he's not played senior football in England or SPL people can mythologise about him being a lot better than he is , as nobody can see him in action to disprove it.

And James Scott as well?? Are we that desperate for strikers???

17 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Can't believe people are still arguing Hornby should still be in the senior team, I thought he'd stopped being flavour of the month by now. Not good enough to get near the Everton first team and discarded by them having not even impressed in Under-23 football, mediocre performances for a mediocre Belgian team who he lost his place at, and looked poor in recent under-21 games. Yet because he's not played senior football in England or SPL people can mythologise about him being a lot better than he is , as nobody can see him in action to disprove it.

And James Scott as well?? Are we that desperate for strikers???

He actually suffered from niggling injuries during his time in Belgium so that's not fair. Hornby is still a promising payer to watch.

13 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Odd criteria. In the mid 90s Gary Mac was let go by Leeds and was involved in relegation battle at Coventry before Liverpool picked him up as a squad player.

Paul Lambert was being released by Motherwell in 1996. No one could've predicted the improvement he'd make over next few years.

John Collins got a great move to Monaco but then struggled to impose himself back in England at Everton. Was probably more effective at Fulham but he'd long retired from national team by then.

Stuart McCall was moving to Bradford in division one after leaving Rangers. Last cap in 1998.

Barry Ferguson just coming through at the time.

Durrant injured.

Decent crop of midfielders who played their parts in Scotland qualifying for three tournaments in the 90s.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

Gary McAllister won the first division with Leeds, the FA Cup, Uefa cup and the European super cup with Liverpool. Paul Lambert won the European cup. John Collins won Ligue 1.

Those three are three of the most technically gifted midfielders that I've seen in a Scotland shirt. I don't care who was released by whom (Lambert wasn't released by anyone. His contract expired)

McCall was a better version of Scott Brown.

You've mentioned midfielders that have won major honours and stood toe-to-toe with Brazil, et al, and never disgraced themselves (Watch the Morocco match again, it was closer than it first appeared).

Our current crop of midfielders can barely hold their own against the likes of Israel, etc. Imagine them in a real tournament. Their legs would visibly tremble.

52 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Decent crop of midfielders

McAllister, Collins and Lambert were "decent"?

They won 6 major trophies between them. As opposed to Jack, McGregor, Fleck, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, etc, who have won zero. And will never get one between them. McTominay could win the FA Cup.*

*Trophies in Scotland don't count.

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Odd criteria. In the mid 90s Gary Mac was let go by Leeds and was involved in relegation battle at Coventry before Liverpool picked him up as a squad player

Bollocks. 'Let go' by Leeds? Makes it sound like they didn't want him. Cov did have a relegation battle while he was there but he was outstanding during his time. Captain and player of the year the season we had Keane. In fact during that season it showed that he should have been at a top club all along which is why he went to Liverpool and was a big player when they won the uefa cup.

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

McAllister, Collins and Lambert were "decent"?

They won 6 major trophies between them. As opposed to Jack, McGregor, Fleck, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, etc, who have won zero. And will never get one between them. McTominay could win the FA Cup.*

*Trophies in Scotland don't count.

No they were very good, I think I said as much about two of them and McCall during the euro 96 re-watch in June. But then you'll get someone on here going on about the options in the 70s and 80s and saying they weren't that good compared to those eras.

I think a little context is required. Paul Lambert was 27 when his contract expired at Motherwell. John Collins was 29 when he won French title.

A decent number of current options are 25 or under so still have time to grow and who knows who'll pick them up in the future and win trophies. I doubt anyone thought when Andy Robertson was 23 he'd be a key part of a european cup winning team two seasons later.

Hadn't McTominay broken through when Man. United won the europa in May 2017?