Under 21 squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21 squad

TA Torr

3 hours ago, TA Torr said:

Does Appere maybe miss the cut off date already being 21?

He’s younger than many in that squad including being almost a year younger than McCrorie. Think the age cut off started when the qualifying group first started. Appere should be in there

Interesting that some of the more promising players are in positions we're not strong in. It will be interesting to see how Freeman gets on at United. He was well thought of before moving to Southampton but was blighted by allowing injury. Just an observation but there's a bit of a dearth of Celtic players.

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting that some of the more promising players are in positions we're not strong in. It will be interesting to see how Freeman gets on at United. He was well thought of before moving to Southampton but was blighted by allowing injury. Just an observation but there's a bit of a dearth of Celtic players.

We're only strong at left back.

If anyone genuinely thinks that we're strong in midfield is kidding themselves. Our strongest central midfielders play for Aston Villa (McGinn), Man United (McTominay... But he's now a squad player), Southampton (Armstrong).

Not exactly Barcelona, PSG and Juventus, is it?

It's immaterial anyway, as Scotland don't play with central midfielders. We play with two pivot anchormen.

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We're only strong at left back.

If anyone genuinely thinks that we're strong in midfield is kidding themselves. Our strongest central midfielders play for Aston Villa (McGinn), Man United (McTominay... But he's now a squad player), Southampton (Armstrong).

Not exactly Barcelona, PSG and Juventus, is it?

It's immaterial anyway, as Scotland don't play with central midfielders. We play with two pivot anchormen.

I think you’re at it. Again? 

58 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think you’re at it. Again? 

I beg your pardon.

We are not strong in midfield. If you think we are, then fine.

We have central midfielders playing for Sheffield United, Aston Villa, Southampton, Celtic. Those are not great teams.

If you think the aforementioned are great teams, then maybe you're "at it". Whatever that means.

Are you so arrogant as to think that people shouldn't have opinions that differ from yours?

Edited by Taylor1996

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t remember a default disposition of expecting world elite players. Suddenly we’re supposed to be at Barcelona level? You omitted Billy Gilmour btw.  McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn, Turnbull, Armstrong, Christie and more, is a whole lot better than we had 5 years ago. 

People think we are strong in midfield. How many have won domestic medals last season? (Apart from Celtic players). Good players win trophies.

Billy Gilmour is only starting out. McTominay is regressing, and when United buy an anchorman next season, Scott will be a squad player.

McGinn will be in a relegation battle next season. Turnbull's at Motherwell. Armstrong will be mid table and Christie is playing against teams that have no disposable money.

We have a "strong midfield". Compared to whom? San Marino? Fair enough.

Five years ago we had Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown. 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

People think we are strong in midfield. How many have won domestic medals last season? (Apart from Celtic players). Good players win trophies.

Billy Gilmour is only starting out. McTominay is regressing, and when United buy an anchorman next season, Scott will be a squad player.

McGinn will be in a relegation battle next season. Turnbull's at Motherwell. Armstrong will be mid table and Christie is playing against teams that have no disposable money.

I think your being too harsh, compared to most countries we have a good standard of centre midfielder. Maybe no world class ones but if you compare us to nations like Albania and Israel then we are cut above in that department. 

Your suggesting Darren fletcher and Scott brown where alot better than the guys now. What are you basing that on, you have already dismissed celtics midfielders for playing against spl dross, surely the same rule applies to brown. Fletcher was a good player but he did play in a great team and his job was to do the dirty side of the game which we have had plenty of others who were capable of doing that. 

Our midfield options now in terms of depth and talent are excellent imo. I think it's been the mid nineties since we had as good central midfielders. 

You can't expect us to have 5 or 6 midfielders playing for Bayern, barca etc that's just not realistic. 

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think your being too harsh, compared to most countries we have a good standard of centre midfielder. Maybe no world class ones but if you compare us to nations like Albania and Israel then we are cut above in that department. 

Your suggesting Darren fletcher and Scott brown where alot better than the guys now. What are you basing that on, you have already dismissed celtics midfielders for playing against spl dross, surely the same rule applies to brown. Fletcher was a good player but he did play in a great team and his job was to do the dirty side of the game which we have had plenty of others who were capable of doing that. 

Our midfield options now in terms of depth and talent are excellent imo. I think it's been the mid nineties since we had as good central midfielders. 

You can't expect us to have 5 or 6 midfielders playing for Bayern, barca etc that's just not realistic. 

We probably won't beat Israel in the playoffs.

Darren Fletcher was veering towards being world class. If he didn't have his illness he would've been on par with Keane and Robson. It's a shame that illness robbed him of his best years. Well, Brown would get into our team right now, and he was better five years ago. 

Excellent depth? It isn't. Even our first choice midfielders are... Decent. Take out McTominay and McGinn and Armstrong, I'm not sure who else we have. 

Is it, though? We have a few kids at Bayern, Chelsea and Man City. Give it a few years and we'll look back and cringe at this set of midfielders. Personally, I prefer watching Scotland u17s than our seniors.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Scott Brown who spent his entire life at Celtic?

If you dont think our midfield is as strong as it has been in at least 10years, you're off yer rocker

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

We probably won't beat Israel in the playoffs.

Darren Fletcher was veering towards being world class. If he didn't have his illness he would've been on par with Keane and Robson. It's a shame that illness robbed him of his best years. Well, Brown would get into our team right now, and he was better five years ago. 

Excellent depth? It isn't. Even our first choice midfielders are... Decent. Take out McTominay and McGinn and Armstrong, I'm not sure who else we have. 

Is it, though? We have a few kids at Bayern, Chelsea and Man City. Give it a few years and we'll look back and cringe at this set of midfielders. Personally, I prefer watching Scotland u17s than our seniors.

Your last paragraph is reasonable, but I always base my views on inclusion of all levels. It is also true that “in a few years” Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, and Turnbull will be a lot better than they are now and will be key players in the equivalent of top half EPL sides. I also have high hopes for Dean Campbell, Barjonas and Marc Leonard amongst others  - and that’s just central midfield.