Jaws - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sad news. 206 appearances for Motherwell. 22 Scotland caps as well as his Rangers career. Set the tone for hard as nails centre backs ay Fir Park, Wullie McVie, Stewart McLaran, Gregor Stevens, and was assistant manager to Tommy McLean during the best times to be a Well fan in my lifetime.  RIP Big Tam. 

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Also got an early memory of him sclaffing the ball over the goalline with his studs. Think it was maybe a cup final. 

It was the centenary cup final in 1973.  He sclaffed it in with his studs for the winner for 3-2 against Celtic.  I was on management duty one night at the college and had to wait till all the lecturers had signed out.  His wife Linda taught a flower arranging class and she was always at the coos tail. All I wanted was to sign everyone out and get home for a pint.  Eventually, fed up, I went away round to her class.  Tam was sweeping up the debris.  Linda said 'everything alright?'  I said naw naw just take your time!  Had a wee blether with him.  They had a flower shop in Lanarkshire somewhere.  If you watch how he played against England in 77 I didn't realise how good a player he was as well as a hard tackler.  His tackle against Channon remains one of the best tackles in a Scotland jersey.  If you haven't seen it watch it on you tube.

31 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

It was the centenary cup final in 1973.  He sclaffed it in with his studs for the winner for 3-2 against Celtic.  I was on management duty one night at the college and had to wait till all the lecturers had signed out.  His wife Linda taught a flower arranging class and she was always at the coos tail. All I wanted was to sign everyone out and get home for a pint.  Eventually, fed up, I went away round to her class.  Tam was sweeping up the debris.  Linda said 'everything alright?'  I said naw naw just take your time!  Had a wee blether with him.  They had a flower shop in Lanarkshire somewhere.  If you watch how he played against England in 77 I didn't realise how good a player he was as well as a hard tackler.  His tackle against Channon remains one of the best tackles in a Scotland jersey.  If you haven't seen it watch it on you tube.

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

His tackle against Channon remains one of the best tackles in a Scotland jersey.

442096033_auldenemy2.jpg.gallery.jpg.758

Was talking to ma faither about it this morning. He said him and his pals were heading for the Hampden car park after the game having consumed a sizeable cairry oot on the terracing, and bumped into Jock Wallace.

"What about Tam's tackle Jock?"

"Brilliant boys, brilliant."

There's a thread in TA Specific...

Edited by Toepoke

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

442096033_auldenemy2.jpg.gallery.jpg.758

Was talking to ma faither about it this morning. He said him and his pals were heading for the Hampden car park after the game after a sizeable cairry oot on the terracing, and bumped into Jock Wallace.

"What about Tam's tackle Jock?"

"Brilliant boys, brilliant."

There's a thread in TA Specific...

Got a tear in my eye.  Might be the Glenlivet toepoke but maybe not.  I think it was that I knew his wife quite well and only found out on sportsound today that she had just recently died as well.  Only met him a couple of times when he came to pick her up but she was a lovely person.  Ach, its a sore one.  Didn't know there was thread elsewhere so sorry.