Tam Forsyth RIP - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tam Forsyth RIP

Toepoke

Bloody hell - it's doubly shocking to lose players that you went to watch as teenagers.

He'll likely be remembered for that 6-inch sclaff in 1973.

But he should really be remembered for that inch-perfect last-ditch slide on Mick Channon in 1976.

RIP Tam Forsyth.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Watch it again here. 7 mins 40 in...

Our defence was all over the place for that first goal. The space their forwards had in the box was unreal, and our midfield didn't seem to think it was their job to either press the ball in midfield or get back and help cover in defence.

Also, no way that wasn't a penalty on Dalglish.

Edited by COLT NY
Edited to say.. Nice tackle there from Mr Forsyth

8 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Our defence was all over the place for that first goal. The space their forwards had in the box was unreal, and our midfield didn't seem to think it was their job to either press the ball in midfield or get back and help cover in defence.

Take a drink. 

9 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Different game then. England's defending wasn't exactly stellar for our goals either.

And VAR would've definitely given us a penalty :-))

I see someone's uploaded almost the full World of Sport coverage of the 76 game. Fair play to whoever had a VCR then and kept it all these years...

Tam's tackle at 1 hour 32.

I urge younger readers to watch at 47 minutes for a taste of what it was like to be at a big game at Hampden back then.

Followed by the commentary team's confusion over who had come on at half time :-)) . A common problem at the time that has now been resolved.

Takes me back that game...  Hampden really was a different proposition back then. Would love for us to go back to the low tech pipes and drums, with none of the firework pish we get now.  And love to have a no nonsense centre half like Tom Forsyth. That shoulder charge at the end 😊

Gutted

Was my favourite player as a wee boy

Some of my family came from Stonehouse and had watched him since his days at the Violet

Around the age of 10 that period between 1976 and 1978 was incredible - they were all heroes

I am almost certain he had another crucial tackle/interception/blootered away at Wembley in 1977 late in the game - England attacking on the left wing and Tam in the right back position

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I see someone's uploaded almost the full World of Sport coverage of the 76 game. Fair play to whoever had a VCR then and kept it all these years...

Tam's tackle at 1 hour 32.

I urge younger readers to watch at 47 minutes for a taste of what it was like to be at a big game at Hampden back then.

Followed by the commentary team's confusion over who had come on at half time :-)) . A common problem at the time that has now been resolved.

It's actually a digital copy sourced from the ITV Sport archive rather than an off air recording - VCRs were only available to the more affluent at the time.

When they were copying from the 2 inch tape of the World of Sport edition they miscalculated which is why the build up and first minute or so of the game are absent.

The missing sequence with the same Brian Moore commentary is however available here on this SFA VHS release which omitted THAT tackle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWmsNX0dQQ

Incidentally I am afraid VAR would not have awarded us a first half penalty as the referee later explained he had already blown for half time. before Dalglish was upended.

Sad past couple of years for our heroes.  Jimmy Johnstone Tommy Gemmell, Billy McNeil, Sandy Jardine. God the list goes on and sorry for only mentioning OF players.  But they danced at the highest level.  And now Tom Forsyth.  At least we got to see them play.  Tom Forsyth would probably tell you that, along with most players that playing for his country was the highest honour.