Stonehaven Train Derailment - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stonehaven Train Derailment

I work in the rail industry and this looks like it is very serious indeed. Off work today so following the story on the BBC News channel. Latest info they provided is that NHS Grampian have gone into major incident protocol at the nearest hospital and Nicola Sturgeon has called it a major incident with serious injuries. Hopefully the news doesn't get worse but it looks grim. Suspected landslip derailed the train. My thoughts with colleagues involved and everyone else at that scene today.

Just watching it on the news, reports of injuries so far so let's hope it does not get any worse.

Scot rail normally have around four carriages which serve Aberdeen to Glasgow or Edinburgh or vice versa. 

A landslide has been mentioned as a possible cause so far.

Not sure if it can be looked on as good or not, but the rail line runs past my back garden and we’ve been commenting for months about how they’re still constantly in use, but there’s hardly anyone in them, both north & south. Hopefully this is still the case today. 

Plus reports of it being something like the 6.40am train heading to Glasgow, which would mean passengers from Aberdeen and Stonehaven being on at the time, so hopefully a quiet time for travellers.

Already read a few different versions or theories though.

30 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Seeing a few images of the train on fire/derailed  and if they are legit, it looks fucking brutal ☹️

Photos I've seen the Aberdeen Guardian posted on fb, if they are legit looks pretty bad.

Watched a bit on the news and they were slowly reversing a fire engine down a track, this was about 2.5 hours after the crash so if it's been burning all that time it doesn't look too clever.

I take it there is no access where they could have drove along the track somewhere?

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

News reporting the driver has sadly died.

Scary stuff. One saving grace is that there were only 6 staff and 6 passengers on board.

Is that correct for the numbers?

Rail expert says 9 people on board train 

Richard Clinnick, the head of news at RAIL magazine, has said that 3 crew members and 9 passengers were on board the train that derailed earlier on Wednesday.

In a tweet, Mr Clinnick added that at least one passenger carriage was on fire following the incident.

The train that derailed was the 6.38am departure from Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street, according to an internet forum called RailUK Forums.

Incident log suggests 3 crew members and 6 passengers on board. At least one Mk 3 was on fire.

— Richard Clinnick (@Richard_rail) August 12, 2020

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

One missing probably on the scorched train?

Everyone now accounted for. 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Very sad news. I worked with the conductor who was aboard many many times who I have been told is believed to have been one of the fatalities.

My cousins uncle was believed to be on board working, haven’t had any confirmation yet. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Everyone now accounted for. 

My cousins uncle was believed to be on board working, haven’t had any confirmation yet. 

Yeah think they were counting an extra person that wasnt there by the looks of it. Aww sorry to hear that man :(

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Quite amazing that only 3 people have died, and 6 are injured, could have been far worse at a different time. Horrible time for everyone involved, directly and indirectly. 

Yeah under normal circumstances it could have been so much worse

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Quite amazing that only 3 people have died, and 6 are injured, could have been far worse at a different time. Horrible time for everyone involved, directly and indirectly. 

Agreed. I shudder to think if that was a 8am or 9am train headed for Glasgow or Edinburgh full of commuters we could have had a repeat of Paddington on our hands.

Three fatalities though. Heart goes out to the individuals and families involved

On 8/12/2020 at 10:30 PM, King Of Paisley said:

Agreed. I shudder to think if that was a 8am or 9am train headed for Glasgow or Edinburgh full of commuters we could have had a repeat of Paddington on our hands.

Three fatalities though. Heart goes out to the individuals and families involved

Covid and the localised restrictions have almost certainly saved lives here by significantly reducing the numbers travelling on that train.