Plumbing advice - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plumbing advice

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just reading this. My guess is it is clogged down at the T connection at where it connects to the main line, if they ran the snake pipe that far along.. I had that same problem in my house.. It was blocked 80 feet down the line and they used a force pump, it eventually let go after about 4 hours.. You should have it cleaned every 2 years for proper maintenance. Hope this helps...

4 hours ! That must have been some set of underpants Ramy 😁

Seriously though, thanks for this. The guy who came on Thursday was there for about an hour . He worked hard and seemed a nice guy but there didnt seem much inclination to dig deeper into the problem than use a suction machine. Maybe they start with the simple option.
 In fairness to him he must have done something as the water was draining away when he left. It is currently not as bad as it was before he came but i know it will eventually build up again. I cant understand how it can seem fine for a short time then come back. Why can the water drain away fine, even for a short period, then block up again ? 

48 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

4 hours ! That must have been some set of underpants Ramy 😁

Seriously though, thanks for this. The guy who came on Thursday was there for about an hour . He worked hard and seemed a nice guy but there didnt seem much inclination to dig deeper into the problem than use a suction machine. Maybe they start with the simple option.
 In fairness to him he must have done something as the water was draining away when he left. It is currently not as bad as it was before he came but i know it will eventually build up again. I cant understand how it can seem fine for a short time then come back. Why can the water drain away fine, even for a short period, then block up again ? 

My guess is there is still some material or residue inside the pipe. In a water system you can have oxidation, tuberculation or a biofilm. If not properly cleaned or "routered" there is a danger up build up again over time. Make sure the lad doing your work, cleans the pipe entirely to the main line where it is a T junction.. The only way is with a digging camera... I dont know how it works in Scotland, but here in Ottawa, the council is responsible for anything past your property line.. If you have any questions Tdyer, feel free to ask me. I am in water inspection, but I know a wee bit about storm and sanitary piping systems. Hope this helps.. 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My guess is there is still some material or residue inside the pipe. In a water system you can have oxidation, tuberculation or a biofilm. If not properly cleaned or "routered" there is a danger up build up again over time. Make sure the lad doing your work, cleans the pipe entirely to the main line where it is a T junction.. The only way is with a digging camera... I dont know how it works in Scotland, but here in Ottawa, the council is responsible for anything past your property line.. If you have any questions Tdyer, feel free to ask me. I am in water inspection, but I know a wee bit about storm and sanitary piping systems. Hope this helps.. 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I think it's similar in Scotland.One of my brothers had endless problems a few years back which ended in local council getting involved as it was an initial problem at street level. My be worth asking your local council ?

What happened at our place was pretty much as described by Big Ramy, although with the added problem that when they dug the road up they found that it wasn't a correctly fitted T-junction but the builders back in the 70s had saved money with a wrong-sized joint plus it wasn't at right angles. If it is similar in Scotland to here then you should definitely speak to whoever the old Water Board is now - like I said we had what in truth was probably thousands of pounds of work done but Yorkshire Water sorted it with no charge to us.

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Many thanks Ramy, really appreciate your advice, you are a good guy. 

I will be a bit more insistent tomorrow and force them to investigate this further with a camera. If I still have no joy I will contact the council/ Scottish water. 

13 hours ago, fringo said:

I think it's similar in Scotland.One of my brothers had endless problems a few years back which ended in local council getting involved as it was an initial problem at street level. My be worth asking your local council ?

12 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

What happened at our place was pretty much as described by Big Ramy, although with the added problem that when they dug the road up they found that it wasn't a correctly fitted T-junction but the builders back in the 70s had saved money with a wrong-sized joint plus it wasn't at right angles. If it is similar in Scotland to here then you should definitely speak to whoever the old Water Board is now - like I said we had what in truth was probably thousands of pounds of work done but Yorkshire Water sorted it with no charge to us.

I think this may be the next move if no joy tomorrow. I will also check with neighbours to ask if anyone else has had these problems. 

You don't want the connection to be at a right angle, that leads to blockages. Where a private sewer joins the mains it should come in at a 45 degree angle and join the flow of the existing pipe. 

If your neighbours have had some issues then it would suggest there is a blockage in the main sewer, which will explain why they cleared your pipe and it solved the drainage issue for a small period of time. 

8 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

You don't want the connection to be at a right angle, that leads to blockages. Where a private sewer joins the mains it should come in at a 45 degree angle and join the flow of the existing pipe. 

If your neighbours have had some issues then it would suggest there is a blockage in the main sewer, which will explain why they cleared your pipe and it solved the drainage issue for a small period of time. 

👍 thanks again. 

At this rate I will know more than the bloke. He will be thinking I have been sitting on google all weekend 😊

On 8/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, TDYER63 said:

👍 thanks again. 

At this rate I will know more than the bloke. He will be thinking I have been sitting on google all weekend 😊

TAMB is superior to google 😄

So are you up to your neck in crap or did it go well today with Mr. Plumberman ?

1 hour ago, fringo said:

TAMB is superior to google 😄

So are you up to your neck in crap or did it go well today with Mr. Plumberman ?

Fringo it was a disappointingly  uneventful ending to my plumbing issue. The guy opened the pipe outside and he thinks there has been a build up of hair , and debris from the gutter, leaves , twigs etc. I was hoping to post a picture of a big fat rat that was blocking the pipes, a bit like when the fishermen were showing off the rogue shark in Jaws, but sadly nothing that exciting ☹️

The guy blasted the pipes with the jet wash so hopefully that is it sorted. Of course it still could have been my old knickers that were the problem, and if so they are en route to @Lairdyfaeinverclyde In upper Kilmacolm. Apologies if Mrs Lairdy gets the blame 😁 

They have said if this doesn't work the next thing is camera down and digging up the rest of the garden. They didnt charge for this visit and everything seems to be ok , so far so good 🤞

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Fringo it was a disappointingly  uneventful ending to my plumbing issue. The guy opened the pipe outside and he thinks there has been a build up of hair , and debris from the gutter, leaves , twigs etc. I was hoping to post a picture of a big fat rat that was blocking the pipes, a bit like when the fishermen were showing off the rogue shark in Jaws, but sadly nothing that exciting ☹️

The guy blasted the pipes with the jet wash so hopefully that is it sorted. Of course it still could have been my old knickers that were the problem, and if so they are en route to @Lairdyfaeinverclyde In upper Kilmacolm. Apologies if Mrs Lairdy gets the blame 😁 

They have said if this doesn't work the next thing is camera down and digging up the rest of the garden. They didnt charge for this visit and everything seems to be ok , so far so good 🤞

If they turn up i will post a picture to see if you recognise them. ☢️

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

If they turn up i will post a picture to see if you recognise them. ☢️

😂 if they are a size 10 or under I  will claim them no matter the nick they are in .

Mr Tidy was cutting the hedge the other day. Its quite high and wide and we have sheltered housing at the other side so he has to go into the old folks gardens to get it cut properly. He came back with a pair of knickers he had found in the hedge . He said the old woman over the hedge said they werent hers so he asked me if they were mine 😂

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

he has to go into the old folks gardens to get it cut properly. He came back with a pair of knickers he had found in the hedge .

Did he now?

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

He said the old woman over the hedge said they werent hers so he asked me if they were mine 😂

Quick thinking.