League cup 20/21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League cup 20/21

Premiership clubs have a major advantage in this this season given their lower league counterparts will be coming into the opening group games cold. Tough ask for any of the smaller teams to progress. That being said I'm quite happy with the draw Stenny got - Livingston, Alloa, Airdrie and Edinburgh City.

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I would’ve quite happily seen it done away with, yes it’s a chance for the smaller clubs to win a trophy, but it’s just not very likely nowadays. 

6 different winners in the last 10 years suggests otherwise. 

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

6 different winners in the last 10 years suggests otherwise. 

1 winner in the last 4 years suggests otherwise, or 10 different winners in the last 40 years if you want to back in time. Aberdeen with 3, Hibs with 2, 7 with 1 and 28 to the Glasgow two. 

Edited by dandydunn

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might as well scrap the league then.

You would think so, but there’s european places, relegation etc to be decided from a league season. 

There isn’t a european place anymore for the league cup, if a smaller team does happen to win it, it’s nothing more than bragging rights for a few weeks, an open top bus parade and a trophy to have in the team photo at the start of the season. 

I'll take silverware in the trophy cabinet and the lifelong memories of said open top bus parade ahead of a brief summer jaunt in the Europa League qualifiers. 

After Killie's performance last season the lack of a European slot for the winner is an extra incentive!

39 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You would think so, but there’s european places, relegation etc to be decided from a league season. 

There isn’t a european place anymore for the league cup, if a smaller team does happen to win it, it’s nothing more than bragging rights for a few weeks, an open top bus parade and a trophy to have in the team photo at the start of the season. 

It's much more than that to me and European places are very much secondary. Football should be about competing for (and hopefully occasionally) winning trophies.

I'd rather finish bottom six with a League Cup win than third and qualify for Europe. Club honours lists prioritise trophy wins for a reason.

To take away one of only two slim chances from many clubs of winning a trophy would be a sad day for Scottish football.

On 8/10/2020 at 7:15 PM, Jim Beem said:

This tournament format is ridiculous, even more so in the current climate. 

I think the format was to give each team guaranteed attendance money from 4 games as opposed to possibly one then oot. I like it too, but in the current circumstances, playing the tournament with the least games possible would probably have been more expedient.

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I personally like the league structure in the cup competition. Back in my day all clubs participated and I am certain Rangers and Celtic were drawn in the same group on a couple of occasions at least. 

Aye, they were often "drawn" in the same group. It gave them an extra two old firm games for that season. It would be one way of getting round having a 16 or 18 team league. Just make sure they are always in the same League Cup section and that guarantees at least 4 old firm games a season.

• 5 months later...