Players Who Were Called Up - But Never Played - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players Who Were Called Up - But Never Played

ErsatzThistle

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Maybe, but certain he was on the bench v Malta as we had a mini goalkeeper crisis for that game (it was Leightons first cap in 3 years)

Can't recall Geddes' call up for that, although I'm pretty sure he was #3 keeper in squads a few times while at Dundee.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'm positive that Scott Arfield was on the bench once or twice for us before he switched to Canada.

Michael McIndoe also once got named in a squad but pulled out.

I was going to say McIndoe too but I couldn't remember if he was called up to the full squad or just the B squad.

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

I was going to say McIndoe too but I couldn't remember if he was called up to the full squad or just the B squad.

Aye, he was named in the original squad for the friendly vs. Japan in 2009 where about half the fecking players named pulled out. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, he was named in the original squad for the friendly vs. Japan in 2009 where about half the fecking players named pulled out. 

Thanks.

That was virtually a B team in all but name, given all the call-offs!

Just now, adamntg said:

Ryan Gauld was called up as an 18 year old.  Wasn't Mark Reynolds in a squad while at Motherwell?

Had forgotten all about Reynolds. Don't think he was ever called up whilst at Motherwell but he was definitely called up three or four times whilst at Aberdeen.

In fact did Peter Pawlett not once get a call up too ?

48 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Had forgotten all about Reynolds. Don't think he was ever called up whilst at Motherwell but he was definitely called up three or four times whilst at Aberdeen.

Apparently aye for Pawlett.  Called up for friendly v Nigeria in 2014 - same game as Reynolds first called up.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Was scanning through the line up and saw McGinn was on the bench and assumed he was being rested...until I saw it was his brother who I'd missed being called up!

Probably can add Paul McGinn to the list.

Still got the Czech game to come. Let's wait and see.

Lewis Macleod (now playing for Plymouth) and much loved and admired Aberdeen legend Ricky Foster are two more to add to the list.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Still got the Czech game to come. Let's wait and see.

Lewis Macleod (now playing for Plymouth) and much loved and admired Aberdeen legend Ricky Foster are two more to add to the list.

Much to Amy McDonald’s disappointment. 

On 8/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Both were in the Nigeria squad, but don’t think they were capped. Think Reynolds got a few call ups, but mustve been very frustrated not to make the bench with 2 goalies often on it. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Both were in the Nigeria squad, but don’t think they were capped. Think Reynolds got a few call ups, but mustve been very frustrated not to make the bench with 2 goalies often on it. 

Aye, your right both were called up but ultimately never played. Reynolds was probably unlucky he never got a shot in a friendly.

I do remember giving Reynolds (and his Motherwell teammate Paul Quinn) a number of caps when I used to play Football Manager years ago :lol: 

The two keepers on the bench thing is I believe one of these stupid rules UEFA have decreed. 

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, your right both were called up but ultimately never played. Reynolds was probably unlucky he never got a shot in a friendly.

I do remember giving Reynolds (and his Motherwell teammate Paul Quinn) a number of caps when I used to play Football Manager years ago :lol: 

The two keepers on the bench thing is I believe one of these stupid rules UEFA have decreed. 

I didn’t know that, but good on you for the FM comment, I’m sure they’ll be delighted to know you rated them so highly 😂😂