Players Who Were Called Up - But Never Played - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players Who Were Called Up - But Never Played

ErsatzThistle

Idle, timewasting thread of the day ......

How many players can you recall who were definitely called up at one time or another for the Scotland senior team but never actually made it onto the park ?

A few from recent years that I can remember:

Paul Hanlon

Jamie Langfield (multiple times)

Gary McKenzie

Craig Samson

Graeme Smith (the one that played for Motherwell)

Stevie Smith

Ryan Stevenson

Must be dozens of others, name them !

Ryan Esson got a few last minute call up's when a gk would withdraw for an away trip (think there has been a few players like this over the years.... sure there was a game in Lithuania and subs went out training and there was someone in them that got a lot of people saying "when was he called up?")

John Brown got a few call up's back in the day, but never got off the bench (think he was the token Rangers player in the squad for a game v Germany at Ibrox after all the regular Rangers players were left out because the game was between two champions league matches).

Sure Tam McManus once got a call up but never got off the bench.

Think Kevin Harper got a few call up's under Vogts, but never off the bench.

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Didn't Bobby Geddes not get a call up for a game v Malta in the 90's? Sure Killie list him on their board with international players in their function suite.

He's not on that board in the boardroom as he never got capped.

The only players on it are players who have gained full caps, most recent is Findlay.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Jamie McAllister turned up for about 30 squads but I'm not sure if he ever got a cap.

Just googled it. He got one cap against Trinidad and Tobago. I always thought he should get a special award as the most dedicated Scotland player of this generation. Always turned up almost never got a game.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just googled it. He got one cap against Trinidad and Tobago. I always thought he should get a special award as the most dedicated Scotland player of this generation. Always turned up almost never got a game.

Nah, that "honour" goes to Jamie Langfield who had a ton of call ups by Smith, McLeish, Burley and Levein but was never used. In fairness to Langfield he never moaned about it to the press or anything.

Did either of the Young brothers ever get called up or Phil McGuire for that matter ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I do not think he was actually ever in that many squads to be honest.

I do not recall he was in a couple while at Livi, and then Burley gave him a couple of call up's much later, but not a name I recall seeing that often in Scotland squads, maybe 5 or 6? but certainly not Scot Gemmill style of like 40 squads in a row.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Did either of the Young brothers ever get called up or Phil McGuire for that matter ?

No.

Darren was always one of these players that the press liked to say was on the brink of the squad, but never got the call up. 

McGuire I do not recall ever being called up, bar B games, from what I recall

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

No.

Darren was always one of these players that the press liked to say was on the brink of the squad, but never got the call up. 

McGuire I do not recall ever being called up, bar B games, from what I recall

Ah :ok:

With further aid from Google:

Recent Conservative Party candidate for Central Ayrshire, Derek Stillie, was called up twice by Vogts.

Tommy Miller (midfielder who played for Ipswich and Sunderland about 16/17 years ago) was called up for that infamous friendly vs. Wales but pulled out with an injury. Doesn't appear to have been called up again.

Had completely forgotten that Ryan Gauld got called up for one game in 2014.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ah :ok:

With further aid from Google:

Recent Conservative Party candidate for Central Ayrshire, Derek Stillie, was called up twice by Vogts.

Tommy Miller (midfielder who played for Ipswich and Sunderland about 16/17 years ago) was called up for that infamous friendly vs. Wales but pulled out with an injury. Doesn't appear to have been called up again.

Had completely forgotten that Ryan Gauld got called up for one game in 2014.

Vogts had a habit of going through a lot of 3rd choice keepers.... Scott Shearer (kid who everyone raved about at Albion Rovers in the early 00's) was another who would get a call now and again, as well as Kenny Arthur at Thistle.

Bob Malcolm might have made a couple of squads.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Didn't Bobby Geddes not get a call up for a game v Malta in the 90's? Sure Killie list him on their board with international players in their function suite.

Alan McCulloch made a few squads but never got a game. He was due to play in a 1980 friendly v Poland in Poznan but broke a finger in training. 

Another Killie player, defender Brian Rodman made the bench at Wembley in 1975 but never got a cap (I doubt he would've wanted on the pitch that day as we got horsed 5-1).

Edited by Toepoke

8 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Danny Swanson for the Liechtenstein/Spain double header. 

Interetsingly enough, that call up for Swanson came at a time when he was going through severe mental health problems. Depression etc. Was hardly mentioned at the time but United had paid for him to go in the priory to help him.

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Idle, timewasting thread of the day ......

How many players can you recall who were definitely called up at one time or another for the Scotland senior team but never actually made it onto the park ?

A few from recent years that I can remember:

Paul Hanlon

Jamie Langfield (multiple times)

Gary McKenzie

Craig Samson

Graeme Smith (the one that played for Motherwell)

Stevie Smith

Ryan Stevenson

Must be dozens of others, name them !

With the exception of Clangers ( who I would not begrudge a cap) the rest at least fall in to the ‘thank fuck’ category 

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

I seem to recall Geddes being the over age player in the under 21s ? Maybe that’s what’s in your mind ? I could be talking shite as well mind you but it seems to ring a bell. 

30 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I seem to recall Geddes being the over age player in the under 21s ? Maybe that’s what’s in your mind ? I could be talking shite as well mind you but it seems to ring a bell. 

Maybe, but certain he was on the bench v Malta as we had a mini goalkeeper crisis for that game (it was Leightons first cap in 3 years)