Europa League 2020-21 - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

31 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Probably his best ever save. That was a top result against an excellent side. I would still say this is a 50/50 tie. Looking forward to next week. 

Young Paterson was caught a couple of times but he really stayed with it. Made a superb in the box tackle. 

He just topped his Werder Bremen save there.  Wow

I'm not even sure that this clip does the save justice.

I saw it live (well on the telly, like) and there was a second or two of confusion in the head over why the ball  hadn't appeared in the back of the net. Timing of the save in the game makes it even better.

This tournament really is shaping up nicely. Good outcome for Rangers last night after not playing too well during the opening 35mins or so. They probably have their noses slightly in front but the tie is very much in the balance. 2nd leg will probably be an even contest too - will come down to whoever gets the little but of luck needed on the night.

Villarreal, Granada, Roma all looking good for QF slots along with Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal. After I finished watching the Rangers match I flicked over to see what game was on the other BT Sport channel and it was the post match analysis of Manchester United v Milan. The overall tone from the people on-screen (Jake Humphries, Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves) was surprise that Milan could go to Old Trafford and outplay the home side. They were actually sounding genuinely shocked about this. Are they so absorbed in the EPL hype that they contribute to that they honestly must've had Milan completely written off before a ball was kicked last night. Message to them - you don't spend the entire season either 1st or 2nd in Serie A without being a capable team. Maybe they should broaden their horizons a bit and occasionally tear themselves away from the EPL. Either that or the broadcaster should get some better pundits.  

Edited by morrie21

3 hours ago, morrie21 said:

This tournament really is shaping up nicely. Good outcome for Rangers last night after not playing too well during the opening 35mins or so. They probably have their noses slightly in front but the tie is very much in the balance. 2nd leg will probably be an even contest too - will come down to whoever gets the little but of luck needed on the night.

Villarreal, Granada, Roma all looking good for QF slots along with Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal. After I finished watching the Rangers match I flicked over to see what game was on the other BT Sport channel and it was the post match analysis of Manchester United v Milan. The overall tone from the people on-screen (Jake Humphries, Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves) was surprise that Milan could go to Old Trafford and outplay the home side. They were actually sounding genuinely shocked about this. Are they so absorbed in the EPL hype that they contribute to that they honestly must've had Milan completely written off before a ball was kicked last night. Message to them - you don't spend the entire season either 1st or 2nd in Serie A without being a capable team. Maybe they should broaden their horizons a bit and occasionally tear themselves away from the EPL. Either that or the broadcaster should get some better pundits.  

In short, yes.

Decent result for us last night which I'd have taken before kick off given the fact that the players were probably still leathered when they got on the flight.  Slavia look a decent team but if we can find a way to keep Bah quiet at Ibrox I think we should have enough to get through.  After that it's luck of the draw.  There certainly won't be any easy teams at that stage but this Rangers team just doesn't lose games at the moment (pipe down Jim! :D) so if we do get to the quarters I'd be happy with whoever we get and see what we can do.  McGregor's save last night did put me in mind of his save against Werder in 2008 that saw us through that tie and ultimately on to the final....

9 hours ago, COLT NY said:

I'm not even sure that this clip does the save justice.

I saw it live (well on the telly, like) and there was a second or two of confusion in the head over why the ball  hadn't appeared in the back of the net. Timing of the save in the game makes it even better.

I think the still image does it more justice in this case, you look at that and it's gotta end up in the net:

EwO6LW6WQA8YoXw?format=jpg&name=large

Always felt Rangers (and Celtic) were more interested in one up over each other than progress in Europe, with any success greater than lasting 1 week longer than the other deemed a bonus, but with the league wrapped up, Rangers can really focus on their Europa games, while any opponents if they got through may have eyes elsewhere...

Sparta Prague have an amazing home record, so not a bad start, wouldn’t be surprised to see a good game at Ibrox. Every chance they’ll go through.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Always felt Rangers (and Celtic) were more interested in one up over each other than progress in Europe, with any success greater than lasting 1 week longer than the other deemed a bonus, but with the league wrapped up, Rangers can really focus on their Europa games, while any opponents if they got through may have eyes elsewhere...

Sparta Prague have an amazing home record, so not a bad start, wouldn’t be surprised to see a good game at Ibrox. Every chance they’ll go through.

Is that you Neil.....?

It was Slavia! :wink2:

6 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Good luck to Glasgow Rangers tonight.  Wil be a tough game.  I have bet 2-0.  Maybe optimistic but hey ho.

Glad you clarified that. Would've been looking to see who Berwick were playing. 

Edited by Och Aye