Europa League 2020-21 - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

8 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Agreed, still feels like a defeat though. Good that we are completing with a team of their quailty I suppose. Lack of midfield depth on the bench was a bit worrying. Was crying out for a fresh pair of legs with 10 left.

Still, we are playing some glorious stuff at the moment.

Aye I think Gerrard needs to take some of the responsibility for failing to get 3 points both times. As much as he’s got us playing some good stuff all over the park, game management remains an area where he can take some criticism. I can’t remember the last time I seen a game with no subs at all in 90 mins. We were crying out for fresh legs after the second goal. 

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I actually relieved we are out of European competition so as we won't embarrass ourselves any further. Lennon???? I give up... 

the good news for the rest of us though is that you’re only out, you’re not out out, there’s still another 2 games for more humiliation. 

Excellent news for everyone else. 

We welcome the chase

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

As I said, being out of Europe is a positive. Maybe we can focus on the league campaign now. Although, its not looking good as long as Lennon is in charge. 

I feel sorry for Celtic. Too many domestic games against inferior diddy team opposition. Doesn't really help them prepare for elite European competition.

Whoever wins the Scottish cup or finishes third (if Rangers/Celtic win the SC), is quids in next season. You go into the Europa League playoff, so regardless of the result you are playing group stage football. I'm not sure on the finances of the Conference cup, but you'd expect 1.5-2 million plus bonuses for wins. Then you add in the TV revenue payment, 10 year coefficient payment and 3 matches at £30 a pop for 20,000 fans (Covid permitting). Could end up with 5/6 million in extra income.

The teams won't also be as bad as people make out. It will be a slightly worse version of the current Europa League (dropping to 32 teams). If you lose out on the non champions path of the champions league qualifiers you go into it, a few decent teams went out of the Europa League qualifiers that would make it.

Impressive result from Rangers tonight. First time we’ve really had to dig in this season and once we went in front we should probably have scored a couple more but for some good saves by the keeper. European football beyond Christmas will do, although hope it doesn’t impact the league performances. 

16 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Impressive result from Rangers tonight. First time we’ve really had to dig in this season and once we went in front we should probably have scored a couple more but for some good saves by the keeper. European football beyond Christmas will do, although hope it doesn’t impact the league performances. 

Yeah, impressed tonight as we were awful in spells in that first half. Well done to Gerrard for changing the formation- something he has been reluctant to do in the past. Money will help keep the lights on past February too.

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Congratulations to all the rangers supporters on this forum. I hate your club with a Passion, but fair play to you boys... Cannae believe I just wrote that..👀😉 

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Congratulations to all the rangers supporters on this forum. I hate your club with a Passion, but fair play to you boys... Cannae believe I just wrote that..👀😉 

I thought Celtic played al right Ramy.  Up against a class side  though. But signs of improvement I thought.

51 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I wish Scott Arfield would have selected Scotland rather than Canada. He is a class act in my opinion and really plays well in big games and always does a job in any position he is asked to play in by his manager. 

I wish Scotland had selected Scott Arfield!