Europa League 2020-21 - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Just caught Robbo’s post match comments on the radio.

While I’ll give you that Hapoel have more European experience in their squad, our 2 international defenders were the main culprits in our undoing.

O’Donnell lost his man for the 1st goal and Gallagher 🤷‍♂️

How can we still in 2020 be surprised when we come up against European teams and referees?

Look at your last line.

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Look at your last line.

European games are refereed differently, it shouldn’t be a surprise in 2020.

Poorly phrased, the “coming up against” doesn’t apply to The referees.

Declan Gallagher deserved his 2 bookings, in any competition (except Maybe Serie A). Penalty was as clear as you’ll see.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

European games are refereed differently, it shouldn’t be a surprise in 2020.

Poorly phrased, the “coming up against” doesn’t apply to The referees.

Declan Gallagher deserved his 2 bookings, in any competition (except Maybe Serie A). Penalty was as clear as you’ll see.

Aye.  Wasn't having a go mate.  But referees all over the world make mistakes in every game.  I was asked once to referee an amateur game as the ref never turned up.  Never again.  Talk about having eyes in the back of your head!  My only point was that I agree with Gerrard's statement.  I don't think he was out of order on this occasion.  I believe that if Morelos had went in that high and caught a guy he would have received punishment.  So I agree with Gerrard on that score.  As I said, maybe of his (Morelos) own making.  But refs are human.  And so are managers who give honest opinions.

51 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The referee shat it to order one of their players off in the 1st half 

I missed the last few minutes of 1st half. Sat on the remote and logged out. My mate said about that, Watt seemed a marked man.

Overall my point stands though.

They were putting in some terrible challenges, but I predicted in 1st half we’d be the side that ended with 10 men.

How are we not “streetwise” enough? Or is it just a lazy excuse we trot out? Why are our opponents always “technically” better, why don’t we sign some of these technical players?

Edited by sbcmfc

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I missed the last few minutes of 1st half. Sat on the remote and logged out. My mate said about that, Watt seemed a marked man.

Overall my point stands though.

They were putting in some terrible challenges, but I predicted in 1st half we’d be the side that ended with 10 men.

How are we not “streetwise” enough? Or is it just a lazy excuse we trot out? Why are our opponents always “technically” better, why don’t we sign some of these technical players?

It is a quandry.  On one hand we say that all of our players e.g Rangers who had no Scottish players.  And then we say that foreign teams are technically better?  Don't know about the Well and how many Scots there.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

On a similar note.

I saw a tweet when Hibs signed Paul McGinn along the lines of:

Mrs McGinn has produced more players for hibs 1st team than their academy.

What the f**k are they doing at these 'Academy's'?  I have had friends over the the past few years who have said 'Oh that is my son signed by Rangers, or Dundee Utd' or whoever.  They were only about 9.  I coach a kids team and I wont say who his dad is but just landed a good job in Premier League.  He is the type that we need.  I hate blaming people but the likes of Andy Roxburgh brought our game backwards.  Then Levein made us a laughing stock.  Sorry. On my high horse again.

9 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Thats better. I thought you were coming down with something!!  Seriously though it looks as if Dons and Well played ok so in a kind of way it wasnt too bad a night.  Agree about your point of non Scots in Gers team.  Saddens me.  Iwas watching a Scottish team at weekend but cant remember who it was and the commentator said the player was from Argentina.  I just shook my head.  Which team is that?

Dundee United, I think.

In terms of U21 appearances in Scottish Premiership matches this season, the data I've found suggests (based on player age on 1 Aug):

1. Dundee United - 22.5% of minutes
  2. Hamilton - 20.7%
  3. St Johnstone - 19.0%
  4. Hibernian - 17.6%
  5. Aberdeen - 14.0%
  6. St Mirren - 13.0%
  7. Motherwell - 10.9%
  8. Ross County - 10.6%
  9. Celtic - 9.4%
  10. Rangers - 7.7%
  11. Livingston - 1.8%
  12. Kilmarnock - 1.3%

For U21 Scottish players:

1. Hamilton - 20.7%
  2. Hibernian - 17.6%
  3. Dundee United - 15.3%
  4. Aberdeen - 12.8%
  5. St Mirren - 12.8%
  6. Ross County - 10.6%
  7. Motherwell - 7.0%
  8. Livingston - 1.8%
  9. St Johnstone - 0.4%
  10. Celtic - 0.3%
  11. Kilmarnock - 0.2%
  12. Rangers - 0.0%

For Scottish players more generally:

1. Ross County - 68.8%
  2. Hamilton - 67.0%
  3. St Johnstone - 65.3%
  4. Livingston - 59.8%
  5. Motherwell - 59.3%
  6. Kilmarnock - 51.5%
  7. Dundee United - 51.1%
  8. Hibernian - 48.4%
  9. Aberdeen - 46.5%
  10. Celtic - 41.3%
  11. St Mirren - 33.0%
  12. Rangers - 15.6%

Note certain players, such as Scott Arfield, aren't counted as Scottish as they're no longer eligible for the national team.

4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Dundee United, I think.

In terms of U21 appearances in Scottish Premiership matches this season, the data I've found suggests (based on player age on 1 Aug):

1. Dundee United - 22.5% of minutes
  2. Hamilton - 20.7%
  3. St Johnstone - 19.0%
  4. Hibernian - 17.6%
  5. Aberdeen - 14.0%
  6. St Mirren - 13.0%
  7. Motherwell - 10.9%
  8. Ross County - 10.6%
  9. Celtic - 9.4%
  10. Rangers - 7.7%
  11. Livingston - 1.8%
  12. Kilmarnock - 1.3%

For U21 Scottish players:

1. Hamilton - 20.7%
  2. Hibernian - 17.6%
  3. Dundee United - 15.3%
  4. Aberdeen - 12.8%
  5. St Mirren - 12.8%
  6. Ross County - 10.6%
  7. Motherwell - 7.0%
  8. Livingston - 1.8%
  9. St Johnstone - 0.4%
  10. Celtic - 0.3%
  11. Kilmarnock - 0.2%
  12. Rangers - 0.0%

For Scottish players more generally:

1. Ross County - 68.8%
  2. Hamilton - 67.0%
  3. St Johnstone - 65.3%
  4. Livingston - 59.8%
  5. Motherwell - 59.3%
  6. Kilmarnock - 51.5%
  7. Dundee United - 51.1%
  8. Hibernian - 48.4%
  9. Aberdeen - 46.5%
  10. Celtic - 41.3%
  11. St Mirren - 33.0%
  12. Rangers - 15.6%

Note certain players, such as Scott Arfield, aren't counted as Scottish as they're no longer eligible for the national team.

Thanks for that mate.  Really surprised about St Mirren.  Do you think after Brexit we should bring back the 3 foreigner rule?

31 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Thanks for that mate.  Really surprised about St Mirren.  Do you think after Brexit we should bring back the 3 foreigner rule?

You’ll probably find likes of Motherwell and St Mirren their “foreigners” are largely English or irish.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You’ll probably find likes of Motherwell and St Mirren their “foreigners” are largely English or irish.

I realise that.  But I am thinking about the Scottish Team.  Told you before, I remember sitting beside John Swinburn at Fir Park after Well won the cup.  He pointed to me me 3 players in the stand who were on 2 grand a week.  Cant mind which nationality they were but foreign and  they werent even playing.  Mental economics.  And that was 1992!  But as I say, would you have a team full off Welsh for the Well to win the cup but to the detriment of our national team?  It's a hard one.  That is why England struggle now too I think.  If Rangers were to play a team of penguins to stop 9.75 in a row* I would probably support them.

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I realise that.  But I am thinking about the Scottish Team.  Told you before, I remember sitting beside John Swinburn at Fir Park after Well won the cup.  He pointed to me me 3 players in the stand who were on 2 grand a week.  Cant mind which nationality they were but foreign and  they werent even playing.  Mental economics.  And that was 1992!  But as I say, would you have a team full off Welsh for the Well to win the cup but to the detriment of our national team?  It's a hard one.  That is why England struggle now too I think.  If Rangers were to play a team of penguins to stop 9.75 in a row* I would probably support them.

I don't even like, and get annoyed by, English clubs that don't have any Scots! If my team didn't have any Scots in a cup winning team it would seem like a hollow victory, and I'd probably have stopped paying much interest by the time they got to the final anyway.

I understand your predicament as a Rangers fan this year though. I suppose if Aberdeen were playing Rangers in a final with 11 foreigners I'd not need too much encouragement to celebrate it.

Those stats earlier in the thread were very interesting... Definitely hoping for St Mirren to be relegated this season now (assuming it's not Rangers again).

17 hours ago, COLT NY said:

I don't even like, and get annoyed by, English clubs that don't have any Scots! If my team didn't have any Scots in a cup winning team it would seem like a hollow victory, and I'd probably have stopped paying much interest by the time they got to the final anyway.

I understand your predicament as a Rangers fan this year though. I suppose if Aberdeen were playing Rangers in a final with 11 foreigners I'd not need too much encouragement to celebrate it.

Those stats earlier in the thread were very interesting... Definitely hoping for St Mirren to be relegated this season now (assuming it's not Rangers again).

Aye, it is a difficult one.  As a Scotland supporter first and foremost I would love to see Rangers with as many Scots as possible.  But they are like all the senior clubs I think.  They will have scouts looking at young guys overseas who have the potential to come here, improve and then sell on for a profit.  Not great for the fans of that team though.  But it's all over the world now.  Money talks.  And we as a smaller nation, even the OF are selling clubs now.  One move to England and you are an instant millionaire.  Quite sure Scott McKenna will be one now and who can blame him.

2-1 final score. Never looked in danger at all in the second half and then gave away a sloppy goal with 5 mins to go. Even then the last 5 minutes weren’t as nervy as you’d expect and we dealt with what they attempted to throw at us. Clearly not the Galatasaray of old but another impressive European result nonetheless.