Europa League 2020-21 - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Motherwell played well for the most part.

A depressingly Scottish performance. Better team for most of first half, then concede a goal right on half time.

Were better team for most of 2nd half too, until Declan Gallagher decides he’s fuckin’ Chiellini defending a free kick (that he gave away) penalty, red card and its game over. 🤷‍♂️

Motherwell had chances at 0-0 and 1-0, they weren’t a great team.

Disappointing as it seems like an opportunity missed.

28 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell played well for the most part.

A depressingly Scottish performance. Better team for most of first half, then concede a goal right on half time.

Were better team for most of 2nd half too, until Declan Gallagher decides he’s fuckin’ Chiellini defending a free kick (that he gave away) penalty, red card and its game over. 🤷‍♂️

Motherwell had chances at 0-0 and 1-0, they weren’t a great team.

Disappointing as it seems like an opportunity missed.

Aye. Didn't expect our two Scottish internationalists to balls it up. 

Aberdeen did ok, nothing embarrassing about losing to a team loie sporting lisbon.

I did think some od our players were naive. The ref set his stall out early, any contact was going to be a foul but the dobs didnt adapt.

One day we will get the luck with one od these tough draws.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Aberdeen did ok, nothing embarrassing about losing to a team loie sporting lisbon.

I did think some od our players were naive. The ref set his stall out early, any contact was going to be a foul but the dobs didnt adapt.

One day we will get the luck with one od these tough draws.

I thought they were playing Willem II?

5 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Disappointed for Well and Aberdeen.  Just listening to Willie Miller there.  Said Aberdeen played ok but Sporting were stronger.

Given it did end up being essentially a full strength Sporting side, you can only commend Aberdeen for their performance and result. I think it shows Aberdeen are at a higher level than they have been in previous seasons, but still have things to learn.

Motherwell, despite the result, seem to have been in a good contest with Be'er Sheva until the red card. Ultimately, again, they lost to a stronger side.

Our smaller sides are improving in Europe, which hopefully means we could get at least one in the group stages at some point in the next few seasons.

24 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Our smaller sides are improving in Europe, which hopefully means we could get at least one in the group stages at some point in the next few seasons.

I think this year with the one legged ties and teams being at different stages, was a great chance to cause an upset.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Yep, next year we'll be back to playing during Wimbledon and losing to Welsh amateurs 😕

Hopefully not. Aberdeen didnt disgrace themselves last night and by all accounts motherwell were almost edging it till Gallagher had a brain fart. 

As much as it pains me to say it, Rangers result was impressive. 4 nil away in the netherlands is good by ant standards from a scottish club

Celtic may have scraped through but they are through and will no doubt play much better than that if or when they get rid of popcorn teeth

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I cant not have a dig at the huns. Only one jock in the 11 last night, 2 on the bench but neither of them saw any action despite rangers being up 4 nil after 71 minutes

Gerrard doesn't seem to have any slightest interest in Scottish players. 

Surely he could have given Patterson a 20-30 minute run out last night too ? That would have been a good experience for the lad.

In fact he was probably disappointed when he found out Jon McLaughlin is a Scot.

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I cant not have a dig at the huns. Only one jock in the 11 last night, 2 on the bench but neither of them saw any action despite rangers being up 4 nil after 71 minutes

Thats better. I thought you were coming down with something!!  Seriously though it looks as if Dons and Well played ok so in a kind of way it wasnt too bad a night.  Agree about your point of non Scots in Gers team.  Saddens me.  Iwas watching a Scottish team at weekend but cant remember who it was and the commentator said the player was from Argentina.  I just shook my head.  Which team is that?

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Yep, next year we'll be back to playing during Wimbledon and losing to Welsh amateurs 😜

Don’t think Aberdeen & Motherwell have failed this year, no disgrace to lose to Sporting Lisbon & by all accounts Motherwell were in the game till the red card. 

Edited by RDFH64

Just caught Robbo’s post match comments on the radio.

While I’ll give you that Hapoel have more European experience in their squad, our 2 international defenders were the main culprits in our undoing.

O’Donnell lost his man for the 1st goal and Gallagher 🤷‍♂️

How can we still in 2020 be surprised when we come up against European teams and referees?

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Just caught Robbo’s post match comments on the radio.

While I’ll give you that Hapoel have more European experience in their squad, our 2 international defenders were the main culprits in our undoing.

O’Donnell lost his man for the 1st goal and Gallagher 🤷‍♂️

How can we still in 2020 be surprised when we come up against European teams and referees?

I thought it was just Gerrard that complained about referees?  Ach well, maybe not.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gerrard doesn't seem to have any slightest interest in Scottish players. 

Surely he could have given Patterson a 20-30 minute run out last night too ? That would have been a good experience for the lad.

In fact he was probably disappointed when he found out Jon McLaughlin is a Scot.

Jack would have started if he was fit and I'm counting Arfield as Scottish! :wink2:

I agree with maybe giving Patterson some minutes although I do think the game was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests and they were causing us some problems down the flanks.  Outside of that I don't see many Scottish players, that we could get, that would improve our first team.