Europa League 2020-21 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Something really not right at Motherwell just now. Problems behind the scenes ?

Definitely in bad shape!  Were bad in pre season at ibrox but put it down to us blowing them away. 

Stuart McCall to turn them around?

Well done Aberdeen, what a cracker of a result and looking forward to next week.

These one-legs have produced surprises and you never know what might happen if it goes in to ET or so.

Motherwell absolutely honking. No excuses really. Soft penalties, but fair dues to Coleraine.

If the answer is Seedorf, then surely the question will be about Clarence!

Positive that we've got three teams into the third qualifying round (or beyond) for the first time since 2010-11; albeit only one team had to win a tie to get to that stage. Taking into account the earlier stage our sides entered this season, it's the first time we've had all three teams (that started in the competition) progress more than two rounds in the Europa League era.

Third Qualifying Round - relevant matches (to be played Thursday 24th September):

• Sporting CP [POR] vs Aberdeen [SCO]
  • Willem II [NED] vs Rangers [SCO]
  • Hapeol Be'er Sheva [ISR] vs Motherwell [SCO]

Aberdeen have nothing to lose in Lisbon. They're on good form and I think they're stronger this season than they have been in recent seasons. Sporting start their season on Saturday against Gil Vicente (who finished 10th of 18 last season), but may be rusty. In a one off game, it's possible.

Rangers should be beating Willem, but any trip to the Netherlands in this competition is always going to be difficult. Willem eased past Progres (Luxembourg), but lost their opening league game to Heerenveen on Saturday. They play Heracles on Saturday.

Hapeol Be'er Sheva required two stoppage time goals to beat Laci (Albania) tonight, after their opponents had a player sent off. If Mothewell turn up, they're very beatable on paper - however if they play like they have tonight and for a lot of this season, you'd suggest an easy home win.

Seeding for main path play-offs

In terms of the draw for the play-off round, which takes place tomorrow at noon, Rangers and Motherwell will face a seeded side (or their victors). Aberdeen will face an unseeded team if they can get through Sporting and therefore, potentially, avoid the strongest teams in the draw.

Seeded:

• Shkendija [MKD] / Tottenham Hotspur [ENG]
  • Basel [SUI] / Anorthosis [CYP]
  • Besiktas [TUR] / Rio Ave [POR]
  • Sporting CP [POR] / Aberdeen [SCO]
  • Copenhagen [DEN] / Piast Gliwice [POL]
  • Mura [SVN] / PSV Eindhoven [NED]
  • Wolfsburg [GER] / Desna Chernihiv [UKR]
  • Viktoria Plzen [CZE] / SønderjyskE [DEN]
  • APOEL [CYP] / Zrinjski Mostar [BIH]
  • Galatasaray [TUR] / Hajduk Split [CRO]
  • Charleroi [BEL] / Partizan [SRB]
  • Malmo [SWE] / Lokomotiva [CRO]
  • Standard Liege [BEL] / Vojvodina [SRB]

Unseeded:

• Steaua [ROU] / Slovan Liberec [CZE]
  • Granada [ESP] / Locomotive Tbilisi [GEO]
  • Milan [ITA] / Bodo/Glimt [NOR]
  • St. Gallen [SUI] / AEK Athens [GRE]
  • Willem II [NED] / Rangers [SCO]
  • LASK [AUT] / DAC Dunajska Streda [SVK]
  • Hapoel Be'er Sheva [ISR] / Motherwell [SCO]
  • Rosenborg [NOR] / Alanyaspor [TUR]
  • Apollon Limassol [CYP] / Lech Poznan [POL]
  • Rostov [RUS] / Maccabi Haifa [ISR]
  • Fehervar [HUN] / Reims [FRA]
  • Rijeka [CRO] / Kolos Kovalivka [UKR]
  • CSKA Sofia [BUL] / B36 Tórshavn [FRO]

The teams will almost certainly be broken into smaller groups ahead of the draw, but there are sides you'd want Rangers and Motherwell to avoid - such as Tottenham, PSV and Wolfsburg. Rangers would probably see most seeded teams as beatable; there are sides there that on their day Motherwell could beat. Milan is certainly the team Aberdeen, and every seeded team, would want to avoid should they get through.

Seeding for champions path play-offs

In the champions path, where Celtic are, the five sides that dropped out of the Champions League this week are seeded, while the nine winners of the third qualifying round and two sides drawn from the CL second qualifying round losers will be unseeded. This means that Celtic could face anyone in the draw, depending on when they are drawn; only the seeded teams will definitely avoid each other.

Seeded:

• Dinamo Zagreb [CRO]
  • Young Boys [SUI]
  • Red Star Belgrade [SRB]
  • Qarabag [AZE]
  • Dynamo Brest [BLR]

Unseeded:

• Celtic [SCO] / (Riga [LVA] / Tre Fiori [SMR])
  • Ludogorets Razgrad [BUL]
  • Legia Warsaw [POL] / Drita [KVX]
  • Sheriff Tiraspol [MDA] / Dundalk [IRL]
  • Djurgårdens IF [SWE] / CFR Cluj [ROU]
  • Sarajevo [BIH] / Budućnost Podgorica [MNE]
  • KÍ [FRO] / Dinamo Tbilisi [GEO]
  • Floriana [MLT] / Flora [EST]
  • Ararat-Armenia [ARM] / Celje [SVN]
  • KuPS [FIN] / Sūduva [LTU]
  • Tirana [ALB]
Edited by Clyde1998

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Something really not right at Motherwell just now. Problems behind the scenes ?

We were pretty honking for chunks of last season too. Seem to be very streaky under Robinson. We had a decent squad, so I was quite excited, but as the signings have piled up, it’s very much a case of quantity over quality. We seem to sign 3 players for every position rather than one good one, or Maybe we just sign guys who are available and fit certain criteria regardless of what position they play?

Guys like Tony Watt are clearly talented, but do I want them in the trenches with me? Too many guys who can turn it on when it’s easy, but disappear when we’re up against it.

1 hour ago, Debian said:

Definitely in bad shape!  Were bad in pre season at ibrox but put it down to us blowing them away. 

Stuart McCall to turn them around?

Rangers were a couple of weeks ahead of us at that point. I think that was a big factor in the gulf between the teams. (Not withstanding the millions of pounds of players at rangers disposal).

Stuart McCall did keep his promise to keep us in the league in his last stint... 😜

If the answer is Seedorf, then surely the question will be about Clarence!

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

😂 he is pish!

9 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Positive that we've got three teams into the third qualifying round (or beyond) for the first time since 2010-11; albeit only one team had to win a tie to get to that stage. Taking into account the earlier stage our sides entered this season, it's the first time we've had all three teams (that started in the competition) progress more than two rounds in the Europa League era.

Third Qualifying Round - relevant matches (to be played Thursday 24th September):

• Sporting CP [POR] vs Aberdeen [SCO]
  • Willem II [NED] vs Rangers [SCO]
  • Hapeol Be'er Sheva [ISR] vs Motherwell [SCO]

Aberdeen have nothing to lose in Lisbon. They're on good form and I think they're stronger this season than they have been in recent seasons. Sporting start their season on Saturday against Gil Vicente (who finished 10th of 18 last season), but may be rusty. In a one off game, it's possible.

Rangers should be beating Willem, but any trip to the Netherlands in this competition is always going to be difficult. Willem eased past Progres (Luxembourg), but lost their opening league game to Heerenveen on Saturday. They play Heracles on Saturday.

Hapeol Be'er Sheva required two stoppage time goals to beat Laci (Albania) tonight, after their opponents had a player sent off. If Mothewell turn up, they're very beatable on paper - however if they play like they have tonight and for a lot of this season, you'd suggest an easy home win.

Seeding for main path play-offs

In terms of the draw for the play-off round, which takes place tomorrow at noon, Rangers and Motherwell will face a seeded side (or their victors). Aberdeen will face an unseeded team if they can get through Sporting and therefore, potentially, avoid the strongest teams in the draw.

Seeded:

• Shkendija [MKD] / Tottenham Hotspur [ENG]
  • Basel [SUI] / Anorthosis [CYP]
  • Besiktas [TUR] / Rio Ave [POR]
  • Sporting CP [POR] / Aberdeen [SCO]
  • Copenhagen [DEN] / Piast Gliwice [POL]
  • Mura [SVN] / PSV Eindhoven [NED]
  • Wolfsburg [GER] / Desna Chernihiv [UKR]
  • Viktoria Plzen [CZE] / SønderjyskE [DEN]
  • APOEL [CYP] / Zrinjski Mostar [BIH]
  • Galatasaray [TUR] / Hajduk Split [CRO]
  • Charleroi [BEL] / Partizan [SRB]
  • Malmo [SWE] / Lokomotiva [CRO]
  • Standard Liege [BEL] / Vojvodina [SRB]

Unseeded:

• Steaua [ROU] / Slovan Liberec [CZE]
  • Granada [ESP] / Locomotive Tbilisi [GEO]
  • Milan [ITA] / Bodo/Glimt [NOR]
  • St. Gallen [SUI] / AEK Athens [GRE]
  • Willem II [NED] / Rangers [SCO]
  • LASK [AUT] / DAC Dunajska Streda [SVK]
  • Hapoel Be'er Sheva [ISR] / Motherwell [SCO]
  • Rosenborg [NOR] / Alanyaspor [TUR]
  • Apollon Limassol [CYP] / Lech Poznan [POL]
  • Rostov [RUS] / Maccabi Haifa [ISR]
  • Fehervar [HUN] / Reims [FRA]
  • Rijeka [CRO] / Kolos Kovalivka [UKR]
  • CSKA Sofia [BUL] / B36 Tórshavn [FRO]

The teams will almost certainly be broken into smaller groups ahead of the draw, but there are sides you'd want Rangers and Motherwell to avoid - such as Tottenham, PSV and Wolfsburg. Rangers would probably see most seeded teams as beatable; there are sides there that on their day Motherwell could beat. Milan is certainly the team Aberdeen, and every seeded team, would want to avoid should they get through.

Seeding for champions path play-offs

In the champions path, where Celtic are, the five sides that dropped out of the Champions League this week are seeded, while the nine winners of the third qualifying round and two sides drawn from the CL second qualifying round losers will be unseeded. This means that Celtic could face anyone in the draw, depending on when they are drawn; only the seeded teams will definitely avoid each other.

Seeded:

• Dinamo Zagreb [CRO]
  • Young Boys [SUI]
  • Red Star Belgrade [SRB]
  • Qarabag [AZE]
  • Dynamo Brest [BLR]

Unseeded:

• Celtic [SCO] / (Riga [LVA] / Tre Fiori [SMR])
  • Ludogorets Razgrad [BUL]
  • Legia Warsaw [POL] / Drita [KVX]
  • Sheriff Tiraspol [MDA] / Dundalk [IRL]
  • Djurgårdens IF [SWE] / CFR Cluj [ROU]
  • Sarajevo [BIH] / Budućnost Podgorica [MNE]
  • KÍ [FRO] / Dinamo Tbilisi [GEO]
  • Floriana [MLT] / Flora [EST]
  • Ararat-Armenia [ARM] / Celje [SVN]
  • KuPS [FIN] / Sūduva [LTU]
  • Tirana [ALB]

I think Celtic should qualify for the group stages.  Motherwell will struggles to get by the next round and I read that Sporting are in the middle of a Coronavirus crisis so may have to field a weakened team so that being the case Aberdeen could have a chance.  If Sporting are at full strength it's curtains for the Dons.  I think our game in Holland will be very tight and if we progress from there we'll need a good draw to get to the group stages.  We've been lucky with the draws the last few years so law of averages would suggest there must be a tougher one coming our way soon.  If I was a betting man I'd say we'll get to the playoff round and that'll be it.

Should say despite my criticism of Motherwell's performance last night, Coleraine were no mugs. They beat Maribor in the previous round and played ok. Motherwell looked a class above them in the 1st half and probably thought the job was done. 2nd half and extra time was poor against a tiring side, but I don’t think either of their penalties should’ve been given, and any team conceding 2 penalties is up against it.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think Celtic should qualify for the group stages.  Motherwell will struggles to get by the next round and I read that Sporting are in the middle of a Coronavirus crisis so may have to field a weakened team so that being the case Aberdeen could have a chance.  If Sporting are at full strength it's curtains for the Dons.  I think our game in Holland will be very tight and if we progress from there we'll need a good draw to get to the group stages.  We've been lucky with the draws the last few years so law of averages would suggest there must be a tougher one coming our way soon.  If I was a betting man I'd say we'll get to the playoff round and that'll be it.

Aye, we’ll struggle.

Aberdeen are out.

Rangers have a chance, beaten teams of higher calibre than Willem II in last few seasons, need a kind draw today.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, we’ll struggle.

Aberdeen are out.

Rangers have a chance, beaten teams of higher calibre than Willem II in last few seasons, need a kind draw today.

Ill be on my own here but i dont think aberdeen are out, sporting may be sn institution in football but i believe this is mcinnes's best aberdeen team including the 2014 team. 

Sporting will be missing a lot of players and its a one off match.

The dons have faced some difficult ties in europe in recent years and we are due a bit of luck against these bigger/richer sides.

EDIT - i was originally editing this post to say i hoped scotland has 4 clubs in the groups, how good would that be? Then i came to my senses and thot fuck that, i hope rangers and celtic get humped 😂

Edited by vanderark14

We do seem to collectively have a habit of losing to teams we should be beating, without ever winning against the odds. Aberdeen have taken a couple of half decent scalps, and st Johnstone beat Rosenberg, but didn’t follow it up. Otherwise there’s been far more banana skins than underdog victories.

Perhaps Aberdeen have the experience now? They seem to have come through the 1st 2 rounds pretty comfortably.

Good luck to them, maybe I am just seeing the name, read about their availability issues.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Should say despite my criticism of Motherwell's performance last night, Coleraine were no mugs. They beat Maribor in the previous round and played ok. Motherwell looked a class above them in the 1st half and probably thought the job was done. 2nd half and extra time was poor against a tiring side, but I don’t think either of their penalties should’ve been given, and any team conceding 2 penalties is up against it.

The first penalty was a joke but the second was a stonewaller.  No protests from defenders at a contentious last-minute penalty?  Unheard of.  Mugabi just walked, no arguing and you can see one of the other defenders shouting at him as soon as it was awarded.

Great performance from Carson in the shoot-out though.

Rangers will be at home to Galatasaray or Hajduk Split if Steven Gerrard's side defeat Willem II on Thursday to reach the Europa League play-off round.

Should Celtic progress past FC Riga, they will be away to Sarajevo or Buducnost Podgorica.

Aberdeen or Sporting host LASK or Dunajska Streda, while the winners of Motherwell's tie at Hapoel Be'er Sheva welcome Viktoria Plzen or Sonderjyske.

The one-legged ties take place on 1 October.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Rangers will be at home to Galatasaray or Hajduk Split if Steven Gerrard's side defeat Willem II on Thursday to reach the Europa League play-off round.

Should Celtic progress past FC Riga, they will be away to Sarajevo or Buducnost Podgorica.

Aberdeen or Sporting host LASK or Dunajska Streda, while the winners of Motherwell's tie at Hapoel Be'er Sheva welcome Viktoria Plzen or Sonderjyske.

The one-legged ties take place on 1 October.

I thought the playoff had been changed to two legs?

On 9/18/2020 at 6:25 PM, vanderark14 said:

I thought the playoff had been changed to two legs?

I think that's just the Champions League. Not 100% why it's just that competition, but may be to do with logistics with their only being six CL play-off ties compared to 21 EL play-off ties. Also, the CL did restart earlier than the EL, presumably to help the early CL round be used as a test and because teams drop out of the CL into the EL.