VAR - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If anything it’s resulting in more incorrect decisions? Maybe that’s an exaggeration but in the Barcelona game both penalties might be considered incorrect / harsh, the handball non goal didn’t look like a handball and the first goal was probably a push. 

Didn't like the idea of VAR in the first place but at the very least assumed it would mean less controversial decisions.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is anything it’s resulting in more incorrect decisions? Maybe that’s an exaggeration but in the Barcelona game both penalties might be considered incorrect / harsh, the handball goal didn’t look like a handball and the first goal was probably a push. 

Didn't like the idea of VAR in the first place but at the very least assumed it would mean less controversial decisions.

I find it is not used consistently,  and sometimes not when its is obvious.. Its a tough call really. We have gone 100 years without it, mind you some atrocious calls, but atleast it was human error. I am not a big fan of it to be honest...

I’m sure when it was introduced we were told it was to correct clear and obvious errors. A linesman not spotting that a players armpit is a third of a millimetre offside is not a clear and obvious error. Likewise when they need to take 5 minutes watching 150 slow mo replays to see if the ball brushed the centre half’s finger nail, it’s obviously not a clear and obvious error that it wasn’t spotted in real tome. 

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m sure when it was introduced we were told it was to correct clear and obvious errors. A linesman not spotting that a players armpit is a third of a millimetre offside is not a clear and obvious error. Likewise when they need to take 5 minutes watching 150 slow mo replays to see if the ball brushed the centre half’s finger nail, it’s obviously not a clear and obvious error that it wasn’t spotted in real tome. 

They will review every goal. But, for example, someone scores from a corner that was incorrectly awarded they wouldn't look at that. 

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If anything it’s resulting in more incorrect decisions? Maybe that’s an exaggeration but in the Barcelona game both penalties might be considered incorrect / harsh, the handball non goal didn’t look like a handball and the first goal was probably a push. 

Aye Barca game was bad for the decisions. Would need to watch the first goal back to see what you mean with a push although thought messi finished it well considering. Barca penalty shouldn't have been a penalty and messi didnt hand ball for his goal.

Just poor all round

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

First goal for Barca was farcical. A blatant push and foul. 

I was forgetting lengelet score the first not messi. Was a bit of a push but you see it every week, could go either way. Defender had himself in a daft position too.

• 1 month later...