Beirut - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

People on twitter saying the initial fire was a fireworks explosion, but the big one was a Hezbollah munition supply going up. Quite probably shite, who would store munitions next to fireworks, nobody is that daft?

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why would anybody be daft enough to stand there and keep on videoing? Hard to believe the person survived that.

God only knows.

1 minute ago, phart said:

They thought it was just fireworks going off.

You'd still absolutely leg it though, wouldn't you? Id beat Usain Bolt if I were there.

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

ITV news at 1830 saying "Nothing to do with Israel".

That was pretty quick.

They were pretty fast to get a statement out (sure talk of Israel saying "nothing to do with us" was around 5pm).

Sounds like the fireworks story is being pushed to the back, with it now confiscated ammonium nitrate (with conflicting stories that its from a year ago, and some even going as far back as 2011).

Way road system is in Beirut, the main north-to-south road in Lebanon goes right through the port area (when I was there ahead of the Israel game, went to Byblos and for 7am the road was already chokerablock, and was the same on the way back (driver said its a car park), so no real wonder that a lot of people were caught in the blast), was actually talking to a freind out there last night when I was checking up to make sure he was ok and everyone is just in shock that something that was capable to causing such damage just happened to be stored in the heart of the city.

Bad enough out there just now as the country is crippled with inflation and there has been protests happening for months now.