Office Space Property Market changed for ever? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Office Space Property Market changed for ever?

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Working from home is cheaper. No travel costs, reduced food costs, reduction in work clothes etc. If you get flexi time like me then you can also commit less hours to the working day and build up more time. Ive never been able to build up flexi previously but im saving an hour a day travel so im adding half an hour onto my work day per day which has allowed me to take flexi days.

The flip side is that at times you are very isolated, I feel my physical health suffered as I dont move about as much and wellbeing is certainly affected as its abit like groundhog day / cabin fever.

A huge plus for me is getting to see my new son all day every day. Even if he is in the other room most of the day. Being at home has been a godsend and im grateful for not missing anything. 

You are saying being less active as you're in the house, but if you are saving time on travel then use the other half hour or so to go for a walk in the morning or a run, I've been trying to gradually increase my exercise again as I've been so lazy. Missing fives though

31 minutes ago, Kirk said:

You are saying being less active as you're in the house, but if you are saving time on travel then use the other half hour or so to go for a walk in the morning or a run, I've been trying to gradually increase my exercise again as I've been so lazy. Missing fives though

I've defo exercised more WFH. Missing the gym being open but have been going a run every lunchtime and a big walk after work every night.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Defo harder with a 7 month old than it was previously. I really need squash to open again although no sign of that yet.

I've been struggling working from home, never enjoyed it on the odd occasion I'd do it previously.  My productivity is definitely lower, but so is my general happiness.  Missus being off a couple of days a week and having a 2 year old running around not helping either though the missus does try to stay out of the way while I'm working.  Definitely wanting to be back in the office, even if it's not every day of the week.

Edited by in5omniac

Works for some jobs, works for some people. I've been more productive in the past working from home - when I was at RBS I used to get done in 5 hours what would take me 7 in the office. Current job it's hard to tell as I was out of the office on visits, workshops, exhibits, travelling etc and that's all out the window for quite some time. But once we're back in the office I'll probably be doing a couple of days a week from home.

Wrt the original question, this will undoubtedly affect the commercial property market - an the residential market will get a knock on effect. Office space requirements will go down by 20-30% I think, and then when you take the additional knock to retail space, town and city centre property markets will collapse. Despite the way it sometimes gets reported, commercial and residential property markets are intrinsically linked (they compete with each other on the supply side for location, materials, labour etc) and I think over the next 5-10 years you'll start to see a lot of office / retail conversions into apartments, which could have a positive effect of getting people living in city centres again. But property prices will stagnate or fall, and given how much of the consumer society is based on a false sense of wealth generated off the back of rising property prices, that will have a significant broader effect on economic outlook and confidence, on top of the more obvious recessionary drivers.

My partner is working from home. She is doing about 15 hours a week more than she would in the office. She has been told that they won't be back in the office before Christmas. They are looking at keeping some permanently WFH and some three days at home and two days in the office. She is not really keen on WFH (I think she misses the gossip) but she accepts that's the way it might be. One of the problems we have is space we don't have a spare room that we could convert into an office space so she is working on the dining table which isn't ideal. About the opening question. I have told Rosemary for a few years now that her employer (Yorkshire water) would eventually move everyone to other sites and sell the main one here in Bradford for housing.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:58 PM, dandydunn said:

Homework is really difficult. I was having a mare trying to work out the mass of a bowling ball on Jupiter with the different gravity aspects (or something like that)

It might be too late but here's a wee clue. Gravity has no effect on mass so that's probably a red herring just to put you off. Mass is a universal quantity which doesn't vary with gravity. The mass of a bowling ball is the same on Jupiter as it is on Earth.

Some school teachers might not know this though, and possibly think that mass and weight are the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It might be too late but here's a wee clue. Gravity has no effect on mass so that's probably a red herring just to put you off. Mass is a universal quantity which doesn't vary with gravity. The mass of a bowling ball is the same on Jupiter as it is on Earth.

Some school teachers might not know this though, and possibly think that mass and weight are the same thing. 

It’s far too late, I chucked homework weeks ago 😂😂

Theres also a fair chance that I never worded it correctly and it was indeed the weight asked for, so best we leave it at that 😆

On 7/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I've defo exercised more WFH. Missing the gym being open but have been going a run every lunchtime and a big walk after work every night.

Good for you, I'm fine when I get into a routine, and in the winter I can run with the dog but she is useless as soon as its over about 14 degrees haha, so then I have to take her out twice plus the exercise, plus work etc. Do have a spin bike which i usually go on when the football is on.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Defo harder with a 7 month old than it was previously. I really need squash to open again although no sign of that yet.

Aye fair doos, wasn't having a go man. As I said above I just get lazy when im out a routine.

Plus drank thurs through sunday there so no exercise whatsoever!

I have worked from home since March.  I am going to start going back into the office voluntarily from next week onwards and do a blend of office and home working. The company I work for literally just moved into a bigger office weeks before lockdown and I think if they hadn't moved they would reconsider and have kept the smaller office.

I know people who work for other companies who won't be going back to the office, I am so happy I have the option as I wouldn't like to work from home indefinitely.

I have made a point of exercising in the morning and/or at lunch more so to clear my head and take some time away as its easy to work through lunch and start early or later. 

• 3 weeks later...

Working from home has worked for me.  Doing a lot of work for a Yank company and was concerned not getting out there every 6 weeks might end in it finishing.  its got busier and busier.

I manage a big Contact centre environment and I can tell you productivity across the board has either held or improved.  Definitely going to be opportunities for company's to reconsider the number of offices and their size.

Microsoft is making a killing also.  Their repackaged Skype for Business under "Teams" has exploded.  It fits perfectly into our new working from home environment.

Agree biggest concerns is how you bring new people into the business and also how you develop them to further their careers.  The missed opportunities of networking in an office environment will change our way of working and indeed culture.  

Think there will be big changes to office working / space. My company had been steadily selling its offices even pre covid with more home working. Gonna just accelerate that for cost savings.

Think people will still want to go in but for many it will be one or two days a week. 

Not all bad though. Convert city centre offices back to living space and get people back into the town centres. 👍

I'm in a strange situation where I've been made redundant, got another job and the new company might actually be taking on the premises of the old one.  So there's a decent chance I might be starting a new job for the first time in 24 years and sitting at the same desk! 

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm in a strange situation where I've been made redundant, got another job and the new company might actually be taking on the premises of the old one.  So there's a decent chance I might be starting a new job for the first time in 24 years and sitting at the same desk! 

😂

Great to hear you have another job 👍

I have come to the conclusion that home working is not for me. At least not permanently. 
The upside of getting a bit longer in my bed is out weighted by the downsides.
Despite running twice a week I feel really sluggish and my circulation is worse as I am just rolling from my bedroom to my living room. I need a routine that gets me moving instead of sitting on my arse at my desk eating biscuits all day. I am not very disciplined. 

Never thought I would say it but I cannot wait to see Scotrail again 🚂🚂

Edited by TDYER63
Home working not woking

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂

Great to hear you have another job 👍

7 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

:cheers3:

Thanks folks. At the moment it’s one of those too good to be true situations but it looks like they might be in a position to take on a good number of the people form my current place they are being laid off so fingers crossed! 

Ironically enough, i've been used to working from home for 10+ years, but started working in a (near empty) city centre office just 3 weeks ago.

I'm enjoying the change!

I agree with Shed that the future is a mix of both.

Edited by Dave78
speling

On 7/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Our productivity is up, within the admin teams at least.

Sickness is almost non existent too.

Currently we are the same. 90% reduction in sickness year on year and my staff are pretty much making me redundant as it stands haha