What to do with Tierney- An epiphany - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What to do with Tierney- An epiphany

ceudmilefailte

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

patterson would be an option for rwb... he is athletic enough to get up and down, but not a great footballer.  Cant defend either so no good at right back. Prefer him or Armstrong to forest at wing back not for right mid.

Patterson played RWB in the Costa Rica friendly a couple of years ago and got torn to shreds by the Costa Rican left winger. I thought the guy must play in La Liga or for some shit hot South American team, he looked that good. Turns out he played for Sunderland, who were bottom of the English Championship at the time.

Cardiff play Patterson as a centre-forward. If he plays anywhere for Scotland, I'd play him there.

6 hours ago, runningtings said:

All this talk of changing the entire team around to play Tierney at LCB of a 3 is madness.

Either play him at LCB in a 2 or RB, the 451/433 is the way Clarke wants us to play.

Most teams play with a single striker, so the other CB picks the striker and Tierney plays around that and brings the ball out when required, easy.

It's this playing McTominay at centre-half that I don't get. Aye, he's tall and he can head the ball, but he's a midfielder! Why would he do any better at centre-half than someone who plays there every week?

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's this playing McTominay at centre-half that I don't get. Aye, he's tall and he can head the ball, but he's a midfielder! Why would he do any better at centre-half than someone who plays there every week?

Really don't understand this bright idea that some strange people have to play McTominay as a centre back.

When he played there for Man Utd in emergencies he was poor.

He's a midfielder. Play him in midfield and only midfield.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Really don't understand this bright idea that some strange people have to play McTominay as a centre back.

When he played there for Man Utd in emergencies he was poor.

He's a midfielder. Play him in midfield and only midfield.

Completely agree. He's filled in at CB a couple of times for Man United and struggled badly each time. Playing him back there is also a bit of a waste of his talents.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Completely agree. He's filled in at CB a couple of times for Man United and struggled badly each time. Playing him back there is also a bit of a waste of his talents.

Part of me suspects it's down to the classic excuse of "but it worked for me on Football Manager". :wacko:

Of course we have had all this nonsense before with the TAMB classic "Robertson is a natural central midfielder" debate which became remarkably heated :lol:

If Clarke persists with 433 then i would play Tierney at right back so that at least he can still get forward cut inside on his left foot and get the ball in to the box.

I do worry though about our lack of quality in centre half positions. What i would do is play Robertson and Tierney both at centre halves in a 3 and allow them to get forward in turns like how sheffield utd play...

Marshall

Tierney.       Cooper.       Robbo

Forrest.      Mctominay.     Fleck.     Fraser

Mcginn.           Armstrong

McBurnie

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Part of me suspects it's down to the classic excuse of "but it worked for me on Football Manager". :wacko:

8 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I do worry though about our lack of quality in centre half positions. What i would do is play Robertson and Tierney both at centre halves in a 3

Classic FM strategy! 

11 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

If Clarke persists with 433 then i would play Tierney at right back so that at least he can still get forward cut inside on his left foot and get the ball in to the box.

I do worry though about our lack of quality in centre half positions. What i would do is play Robertson and Tierney both at centre halves in a 3 and allow them to get forward in turns like how sheffield utd play...

Marshall

McBurnie

That takes the biscuit...many congratulations 

Tierney is a full back or at a stretch left sided CB. 

Play him where we are weakest out of those 2 positions. If Robertson is fit then he plays LB.

If we have 2 semi decent cb's but no RB then play him at RB. If somebody comes through at RB but we are struggling at CB then play him there. He will always be one of our better defenders so will always get a start. No point changing formations or playing him in midfield.

Playing RB for a left footed player isnt a huge change. Tierney is a natural defender. His positioning and tackling wont be affected by playing RB. Its only really his ability to cross that is lessoned which given we dont play a system that relies on crossing shouldnt be a problem.

37 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Tierney is a full back or at a stretch left sided CB. 

Play him where we are weakest out of those 2 positions. If Robertson is fit then he plays LB.

If we have 2 semi decent cb's but no RB then play him at RB. If somebody comes through at RB but we are struggling at CB then play him there. He will always be one of our better defenders so will always get a start. No point changing formations or playing him in midfield.

Playing RB for a left footed player isnt a huge change. Tierney is a natural defender. His positioning and tackling wont be affected by playing RB. Its only really his ability to cross that is lessoned which given we dont play a system that relies on crossing shouldnt be a problem.

Tierney can could play right back but he would be compromised. Playing left midfield allows Robertson to overlap him, so he in fact would be playing left back for much of the game. He’s more capable of beating a man with a drop of the shoulder than Robertson which is why it wouldn’t be the other way about. 

I think he’s too wee to play centre half in a back four. 

We often have Fraser play left midfield and when he’s not on form (which is often) he offers zero. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Of course we have had all this nonsense before with the TAMB classic "Robertson is a natural central midfielder" debate which became remarkably heated :lol:

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

He could definitely be converted to a centre back. It’s not ideal but its an option particularly when we have a lack of quality at centre back. 

I reckon if Man U (somehow!) had McKenna is their squad they’d play McTominay at centre back over him. 

It probably is a waste of his talents but we’ve got good players to come in for him in midfield. 

It’s just an option for us if Clarke is tempted to play 3 at the back. I wouldn’t try him as part of a 2 man centre back pairing. 

13 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Marshall

McBurnie

Aye what to do is take potentially out two best players, change the formation and play both of them out of position.....naw

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

He could definitely be converted to a centre back. It’s not ideal but its an option particularly when we have a lack of quality at centre back. 

I reckon if Man U (somehow!) had McKenna is their squad they’d play McTominay at centre back over him.

It probably is a waste of his talents but we’ve got good players to come in for him in midfield. 

It’s just an option for us if Clarke is tempted to play 3 at the back. I wouldn’t try him as part of a 2 man centre back pairing. 

I'm still not sure he would, not unless it was a tactical switch during the game or he had to cover for a recognised defender for some reason (due to an injury or a red card or whatever).

I couldn't envisage him starting a game in front of a fully fit recognised centre-half (although it's even harder to envisage a scenario where Scott McKenna is a Man United centre-half! :lol:).

A back three made up of one centre-half, a left-back and a central midfielder with only scant experience of playing there just wouldn't fly, IMO.

I think we would be pushing it playing tierney at centre half in a 2, not so bad in a 3.   Dunno ... do you change the system to accommodate the players or change the players to suit the system...  that’s why Clarke gets paid the big bucks!

• 3 weeks later...

An epiphany that was mooted October 8, 2019?

😛

It's pointless anyway, when Arsenal buy one (or two) top center backs, they'll begin playing Tierney at left back and the people here who are mooting playing 3/5 will ditch the idea and remember how successful we've been with 4-2-3-1...

Oh, and Clarke is a dinosaur of a manager. 

All-in-all, I'm counting the days till King and Morrison progress into the top players that I hope they'll be.

So, we'll be equipped to play with a four at the back in, what, 4 or 5 years? Oh golly! I can hardly wait!

*Takes out sand-timer, with four years worth of sand*

On 8/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, Malcolm said:

I think we would be pushing it playing tierney at centre half in a 2, not so bad in a 3.   Dunno ... do you change the system to accommodate the players or change the players to suit the system...  that’s why Clarke gets paid the big bucks!

Personally, I think we need to find away to get as many of our better players in the team as possible.  Robertson, Tierney and Fraser are the outstanding players we have.  After those three, it's McGregor, McTominay, Armstrong, Forrest, Christie and McGinn.  The standard starts dropping quickly after that barring a small number of others like Fleck, Burke and McBurnie.