Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thesaint

scotland top 50 players

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Neither of them are top 10 material

  1. Jim Leighton
  2. John Greig
  3. Alex McLeish
  4. Willie Miller
  5. Maurice Malpas
  6. Paul McStay
  7. Graeme Souness
  8. Gary McAllister
  9. Kenny Dalglish
  10. Joe Jordan
  11. John Collins

Theres 11 for a start

Eh, you missed Erin Cuthbert mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the top 50 list, I was very surprised to see Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher higher than Willie Miller.  I understand its a democratic vote, and most of the current fans would have gone with what they were most familiar with other than the obvious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the arguments about the women being included,  the top 10 certainly dispels the myth that Rangers fans aren't interested in Scotland anymore. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Rose Reilly is the most successful Scottish footballer ever.

She wasn't eligible as she had less than 20 caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kumnio said:

She wasn't eligible as she had less than 20 caps.

And of course the reason why she had less than 20 caps is because the SFA banned her.  Still, our loss was the Italians gain.

Edited by aaid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaid said:

Rose Reilly is the most successful Scottish footballer ever.

How long ago did rose reilly play,about 30 years ago.What was the standard of womens football then.You can hardly compare that to the mens game.Very little competition for the club sides that invested in the womens game.Don't get me wrong,i saw the documentary on her and she was a great player ,albeit amongst a lot of poor ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thesaint said:

How long ago did rose reilly play,about 30 years ago.What was the standard of womens football then.You can hardly compare that to the mens game.Very little competition for the club sides that invested in the womens game.Don't get me wrong,i saw the documentary on her and she was a great player ,albeit amongst a lot of poor ones.

You could say the same about the men, just the other way round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thesaint said:

How long ago did rose reilly play,about 30 years ago.What was the standard of womens football then.You can hardly compare that to the mens game.Very little competition for the club sides that invested in the womens game.Don't get me wrong,i saw the documentary on her and she was a great player ,albeit amongst a lot of poor ones.

The thing you need to remember about Rose Reilly is that in Women's Football at the time she was the best player in the world and she was playing in the league that was the most professional and she won it on numerous occasions.  Italy - who were the best and biggest association - were at her for years to take out citizenship so she could play for them, she wouldn't do it until she finally relented.  They capped her straight away and made her captain, then they won the World Cup.

Certainly none of the Scottish women players who've come through in recent years - when arguably it was a lot easier - come anywhere close to her.

She grew up across the road from my grandparents and I remember my uncle - who was a decent player himself - telling me that she use to join in with him and his mates having a kick about and he said that you couldn't get the ball off her.. Nothing that unusual in that but my uncle was in his early 20s and Rose would've been about 10 or 11. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Rose Reilly  not “qualifying “ for a list of greatest Scottish Footballers story might sum up much about the problems with Scottish Football, The SFA , mebbies Scotland in general .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kumnio said:

And maybe in 2060 there really will be a woman capable of being in top 50, but currently, its just utter nonsense. Thats the important bit in this issue.

Doubt it unless it's a trans one, but then that's a whole new argument...  :whistling: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has never been a woman alive who would have managed to get a game in front of Warren Cummings or Scott Dobie...to have Julie Fleeting and whatever other female in the top50 just completely makes a mockery of the full thing

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

There has never been a woman alive who would have managed to get a game in front of Warren Cummings or Scott Dobie...to have Julie Fleeting and whatever other female in the top50 just completely makes a mockery of the full thing

Yep.That's the point i was making.Nobody is saying the women aren't good in the womens game,but to put them anywhere near the mens list is frankly an insult to all ther guys who have managed to get a cap.Every single one of them is miles better than the best woman player.Some folk don't seem to get the idea.It's for the best 50 Scotland players,not for some sort of bigging up of the womens game.What is the point of voting,if you are just trying to push the womens game,and not the facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thesaint said:

to put them anywhere near the mens list is frankly an insult to all ther guys who have managed to get a cap.

I'm sure Gary Teale will recover from this massive injustice and keep on trucking. Perhaps one day we'll live in a society where he, and others like him, will finally be recognised for what they are - better than women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Yep.That's the point i was making.Nobody is saying the women aren't good in the womens game,but to put them anywhere near the mens list is frankly an insult to all ther guys who have managed to get a cap.Every single one of them is miles better than the best woman player.Some folk don't seem to get the idea.It's for the best 50 Scotland players,not for some sort of bigging up of the womens game.What is the point of voting,if you are just trying to push the womens game,and not the facts.

Facts are sexist, probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

Great to see McFadden come third. Gave me some of my favourite moments watching Scotland.   

He would probably get into my top 100. I think he might struggle to get in my top 50 though. I would have to put some thought into it, but there are a lot of players missing off that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm sure Gary Teale will recover from this massive injustice and keep on trucking. Perhaps one day we'll live in a society where he, and others like him, will finally be recognised for what they are - better than women.

Better than women......AT Football.That's the whole point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:17 PM, aaid said:

The thing you need to remember about Rose Reilly is that in Women's Football at the time she was the best player in the world and she was playing in the league that was the most professional and she won it on numerous occasions.  Italy - who were the best and biggest association - were at her for years to take out citizenship so she could play for them, she wouldn't do it until she finally relented.  They capped her straight away and made her captain, then they won the World Cup.

Certainly none of the Scottish women players who've come through in recent years - when arguably it was a lot easier - come anywhere close to her.

She grew up across the road from my grandparents and I remember my uncle - who was a decent player himself - telling me that she use to join in with him and his mates having a kick about and he said that you couldn't get the ball off her.. Nothing that unusual in that but my uncle was in his early 20s and Rose would've been about 10 or 11. 

Went to school with her nephews, all decent players themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Went to school with her nephews, all decent players themselves.

I see she's just been voted on another BBC poll as Scotland's greatest ever Sportswoman and so she should be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, Orraloon said:

He would probably get into my top 100. I think he might struggle to get in my top 50 though. I would have to put some thought into it, but there are a lot of players missing off that list.

Yep, said that elsewhere.  If you're under 30 Faddy is probably the best you've seen for us, if you're over 50 he's nowhere close. Wouldn't deny him such a high placing though given the joy his goals gave us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcnish said:

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

 

Echo......

 

echo.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mcnish said:

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

The vote they had on the BBC website was a lot more credible, no second rate jokers like Brownie up near the top and because they let actual people vote on it not of the Scotland Lesbian XI made the cut of course.... it was actually based on merit.

Naturally a awful lot of the top players were from the mid eighties when I started following football and we genuinely had a serious, albeit still underachieving, quality football team. The fact people vote for the likes of Brown and Mcfadden as the best ever shows how low standards and expectations have slipped the last couple of decades.

 

Writing Scotland Lesbian XI is weirdo behaviour. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...