scotland top 50 players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

scotland top 50 players

thesaint

Who the f..k were voting in that supporters club 50 greatest Scotland players.Is the truth to be sacrificed for the pc brigade.There must be at least six or seven women players in there.Really.We are talking about greatest players of all time.Go on,tell me why they should be in ahead of say john robertson,lawrie reilly,wIllie henderson,peter lorimer and so many more.Sheer stupidity.

I saw this being drip released on twitter, Colin Hendry 19, John Collins 18, Danny McGrain 17 and Julie Fleeting 16.

I don't know who voted for this, or if it was even a genuine vote, but I find it near impossible to believe that fitba fans would vote for players in that order. Women's fitba has came on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, but being honest they struggle to get 5000 a game, even with the SFA giving away free tickets or letting you in for a fiver. It looks like a farce of a top 50 players.

15 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I saw this being drip released on twitter, Colin Hendry 19, John Collins 18, Danny McGrain 17 and Julie Fleeting 16.

I don't know who voted for this, or if it was even a genuine vote, but I find it near impossible to believe that fitba fans would vote for players in that order. Women's fitba has came on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, but being honest they struggle to get 5000 a game, even with the SFA giving away free tickets or letting you in for a fiver. It looks like a farce of a top 50 players.

Fleeting has been capped more than 100 times and has scored over 100 goals in a scotland shirt. As a Scotland fan, she has my respect.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Fleeting has been capped more than 100 times and has scored over 100 goals in a scotland shirt. As a Scotland fan, she has my respect.

And mine, but that wasn't even remotely my point.

31 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Agreed, more woman watch the male team than the female team.

Mainly because it's 100 times better to watch at a much higher standard.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Gemma Fay has 203 caps 😂😂 

Including both teams in the same voting is just daft 

I guess two lists may have been the way to go? But then you're back at square one with none of the guys paying any attention to the achievements of the girls.

I understand the argument, I do. There are more than 50 guys who are/were technically better at football than any of the women who have represented Scotland. But you have to at least consider it within context.

Would you guys choose Serena Williams in a list of top 50 tennis players of all time? I would.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I guess two lists may have been the way to go? But then you're back at square one with none of the guys paying any attention to the achievements of the girls.

I understand the argument, I do. There are more than 50 guys who are/were technically better at football than any of the women who have represented Scotland. But you have to at least consider it within context.

Would you guys choose Serena Williams in a list of top 50 tennis players of all time? I would.

The girls will get attention, people are interested in the females game, it might be less attention but that’s just how it goes. 

Should be a seperate list for female tennis players as well, how can you compare legacy and achievements with men and women when she got beaten by a guy barely in the top 300 and they don’t compete in the same tournaments?

But the guys don't need to pay any attention to the womens game if they don't want to. I was happy for them to qualify for the World Cup, but in all honesty, it got a minutes thought, not much more. Its like U18s or U21s, I hope they do well, but I generally have no interest in it.

If you consider it in the context of Top 50, its ridiculous that there are any women in the joint list. If youre genuinely comparing them like for like, its simply ridiculous, it really is.

Unless Andy Murray is playing, I have no interest in tennis, so I wouldn't have an opinion worth anything. I just googled it, and she got beat by a man ranked 203rd, maybe thats a random one off, maybe not, as I say, I don't have enough to contribute anything worthwhile.

The girls will get attention, people are interested in the females game, it might be less attention but that’s just how it goes. 

Should be a seperate list for female tennis players as well, how can you compare legacy and achievements with men and women when she got beaten by a guy barely in the top 300 and they don’t compete in the same tournaments?

I totally understand the argument, but I have absolutely zero concerns with women being included in a list like this to give the women's game more exposure. 

I get why many guys don't like it or agree with it. But if you think the women's game will naturally get more exposure without dedicated efforts like this, you may have to reassess. 

The recent thing of why don't men pay attention to womens football is a insidious to me. Its trying to paint a picture thats detached from reality.

I like mens fitba, that doesn't means I need to like womens fitba because its fitba, it also doesn't mean I need to like mens cricket because its mens. Thats how stupid I view the argument.

Just now, mrniaboc said:

I totally understand the argument, but I have absolutely zero concerns with women being included in a list like this to give the women's game more exposure. 

I get why many guys don't like it or agree with it. But if you think the women's game will naturally get more exposure without dedicated efforts like this, you may have to reassess. 

Daft gestures like this is only gonna out people off the female game I think. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t bother me but seeing Fleeting in the top 50 isn’t gonna make more interested in watching women’s football. 

Would you compare NBA players with basketball players who’ve only played in Europe, Australia or South America? How can you compare achievements when they never play in the same competitions.

Probably not, but those guys do actually have the opportunity to prove themselves in the NBA if they are good enough.

Anyway, that's not the point. We all agree that technically none of those women are as good as the top 50 guys. My point is I don't care that they were included in the list. In fact, I like it. I think it's great to recognise their efforts for our country in a high profile way like this, because they are very unlikely to ever get regonised for it by most guys.

As i said,this was supposed to be the 50 GREATEST scotland players of all time.No matter how much you want it to be true,none of the women players are in the best 50 Scotland players of all time.That's a fact.Look at the competition in the mens game to get a cap,especially in the sixties,seventies and eightes.You just can't compare  it with the womens game.To be honest,the reason they couldn't have a seperate vote for the women players is there aren't enough players to choose fifty from.Just the usual nonsense from the pc brigade.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Daft gestures like this is only gonna out people off the female game I think. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t bother me but seeing Fleeting in the top 50 isn’t gonna make more interested in watching women’s football. 

Maybe it's not about you, or even me? Maybe there's a wee boy or girl who sees the list and asks their dad who Julie Fleeting is? I think it's a nice thing. But I also understand why you guys don't. 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Probably not, but those guys do actually have the opportunity to prove themselves in the NBA if they are good enough.

Anyway, that's not the point. We all agree that technically none of those women are as good as the top 50 guys. My point is I don't care that they were included in the list. In fact, I like it. I think it's great to recognise their efforts for our country in a high profile way like this, because they are very unlikely to ever get regonised for it by most guys.

Or girls. It’s not a gender thing. 

The SFA could easily promote a top 20 female player list that would recognise the achievements of female players in their own right. 

Maybe it's not about you, or even me? Maybe there's a wee boy or girl who sees the list and asks their dad who Julie Fleeting is? I think it's a nice thing. But I also understand why you guys don't. 

It’s a nice thing sure, maybe they could include the best amateur players as well, would my 50 goals at u12’s count? 

Or girls. It’s not a gender thing. 

The SFA could easily promote a top 20 female player list that would recognise the achievements of female players in their own right. 

They totally could. Would you have read it? I probably wouldn't have.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

They totally could. Would you have read it? I probably wouldn't have.

Sure, assuming someone made a thread about it. If raising the exposure of the female game is the ultimate end game, this isn’t the way to go about it I think. 

5 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

because they are very unlikely to ever get regonised for it by most guys.

Graeme Randall never got the recognition he 'deserved' because nobody cares about judo.

Its 2020, faux lists like this arent the way ahead. If womens football was getting good attendances every week, it would get more recognition, but it isnt. I hope it does get better, and can become professional, but realistically, theres only a handful of leagues around the world.

Are there reports on the demographics of football fans available? 

It’s a nice thing sure, maybe they could include the best amateur players as well, would my 50 goals at u12’s count? 

Firstly, that's very impressive. Well done! Secondly, no. You don't strike me as someone who would benefit greatly from affirmative action.

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

Graeme Randall never got the recognition he 'deserved' because nobody cares about judo.

Its 2020, faux lists like this arent the way ahead. If womens football was getting good attendances every week, it would get more recognition, but it isnt. I hope it does get better, and can become professional, but realistically, theres only a handful of leagues around the world.

Are there reports on the demographics of football fans available? 

There almost certainly are. I'm not sure the argument of if they had more supporters they would get the recognition makes sense. I think that should be the other way around right?