Players for your team you never understood the fascination with - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players for your team you never understood the fascination with

Any players for your side who the crowd generally thought were decent but you couldn't understand the fuss or developed a dislike of?  

Andy Cooke main striker at Stoke (2000) scored about 15 league goals in 2 seasons when we finished top 6 in the 3rd tier both years but everyone pretty much had him as one of the first names on the team sheet because he ran around a bit - chasing the keeper on kicks from about 30 yards out was a favourite. 

Bjarni, the winger, would swazz balls to the back post for fun but the crowd would go mental at him because there was nobody there and Andy Cooke would be moaning like fuck that he hadn't crossed the ball to him following his trademark run 3 yards beyond the near post.  The few times a cross found his trademark run he would head it 3 yards wide, or if he was lucky head it straight at the keeper because the angle was obviously too tight, and then hold his head like it was a surprise how he missed.  The one time it went through the keeper he ran to the winger pointing like 'I told you so' despite the winger putting it on a six pence three times a game in comparison to his one fluke.       

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Terry Hurlock and Graham Roberts. 

Agree about Hurlock but not about Roberts.  I watched him when he came to Ibrox.  An old guy sitting next to against Dundee Utd I think it was.  Roberts ran through about 3 tackles and Rangers scored.  The old guy said he was the hardest player he had seen since John Grieg.  Doesn't make you a player but I thought he play a bit as well.  But fall out with Souness finished him.  I thought him and Butcher would have been a great match similar to Miller and McLeish.

Rajiv van la Parra.

He wasn't a bad player as such & had the ability to skin the opposition down the wing with a few fancy stepovers thrown in for good measure. The crowd generally loved him but the problem was that after causing panic such as he did, his final ball would either be nothing more than a gentle pass for the opposition defenders to clear away, straight into the legs of his marker or he'd pass it back down the wing pretty much to where he'd started from.

I remember one or two games he had where he had real influence but the vast majority, all you got was a bit of exhibition stuff & nothing to show for it.

Granted, being a Dundee fan, its a low bar, but we have still managed to have many.

The most recent one is a strange one. For me its Scott Allan, undoubtedly a talented player, but he never fit in with what McCann was trying to do, one exceptional pass every 4 games didnt justify 359 minutes of being a lazy uninterested tosser more interested in fixing his hair. In a better side, with better players, like Hibs, I can see his worth, but a complete waste of time for us.

For Scotland, and this will definitely be ridiculed..

John McGinn, even when he scored a hat trick, I just didnt see it. Passing is crap, creativity is crap, cant track a player and now worth £70 million apparently.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Remember when he was depressed because leicester would agree to sell him to man city. That saga summed up the modern game

He came a long way after he stole a bike (Allegedly) to escape the Paisley weather whilst at St Mirren. 

On 7/23/2020 at 9:22 PM, dandydunn said:

Kenny McLean at Aberdeen. One good game and 4 pish ones disguised with the odd goal. Simply never done it enough for us. 

The very one I was going to say. Clearly very talented but rarely utilised it to its fullest.