Supporting local businesses - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Supporting local businesses

I have signed up to get milk delivered by a local dairy, they were doing door to door sales trying to drum up some business. 
I felt sorry for the wee guy so I said I would take some.

At least I hope it was the dairy after having signed up to a direct debit . I will flogging a cow for some magic beans soon. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have signed up to get milk delivered by a local dairy, they were doing door to door sales trying to drum up some business. 
I felt sorry for the wee guy so I said I would take some.

At least I hope it was the dairy after having signed up to a direct debit . I will flogging a cow for some magic beans soon. 

He'll be cutting his Tesco bought milk with 50% tap water. Gonna make a fortune :P

To be honest Ive done loads of that. Milk delivery as was the norm back in the day,  also get eggs as well. Weekly fruit and veg box from local farm shop and meat and bread etc form a couple of family places in Dundee. One of which also stocks wine. 🍷 Also, bit pricey but the newish 71 brewery in Dundee has some great stuff. Ive no intention of retunring to my old habits. Fuck Tescos, Asda etc, very limited visits now for houeshold shit. Actually think I’m eating much better,  not even sure if im spending anymore but so fuck 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

To be honest Ive done loads of that. Milk delivery as was the norm back in the day,  also get eggs as well. Weekly fruit and veg box from local farm shop and meat and bread etc form a couple of family places in Dundee. One of which also stocks wine. 🍷 Also, bit pricey but the newish 71 brewery in Dundee has some great stuff. Ive no intention of retunring to my old habits. Fuck Tescos, Asda etc, very limited visits now for houeshold shit. Actually think I’m eating much better,  not even sure if im spending anymore but so fuck 🤷‍♂️

Jim Beem in his vegetable patch. 

72AE9968-E27F-4B77-8371-981CD3012B62.jpeg.4ced92f54aab99913369776eccc14140.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Have you tried this lot?

https://morbeers.co.uk/

71 brewing do more lager type beer, whereas Mor sell "real" ales. Depends on your taste.

All Jersey residents over 16 to receive a £100 voucher/gift card to spend in local businesses to help the economy get back on its feet.

Gift cards can  be spent in local restaurants/cafes/local tourist attractions/ high st shops etc. Costing £11m 

Great Idea. 

12 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Any recommendations from 71?  Like the look of the blood orange one but also fancied BrewDog Quench Quake until I tasted it! 

27 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

All Jersey residents over 16 to receive a £100 voucher/gift card to spend in local businesses to help the economy get back on its feet.

Gift cards can  be spent in local restaurants/cafes/local tourist attractions/ high st shops etc. Costing £11m 

Great Idea. 

My opinion is all the best/most effective bailouts is to give it to citizens directly and they'll spend it as opposed to giving it to a few rich folk.

31 minutes ago, phart said:

My opinion is all the best/most effective bailouts is to give it to citizens directly and they'll spend it as opposed to giving it to a few rich folk.

I agree. I think we would have been better dishing out a pile of helicopter money rather than just giving it to the banks who largely refused to lend it to folk who needed it.

Personally I would go for a mixture of public spending on infrastructure projects (aimed at helping the economy in the medium to longer term, whilst providing jobs in the short term) and some helicopter money which would need to be fairly tightly controlled to avoid a spike in inflation.

But giving more money to the already wealthy is all part of the plan. They just exploit any situation to transfer more wealth from the poor to folk who already have more money than they are ever likely to spend.

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Great Idea. 

So which local bookie will your voucher be going to Jimmy 😁

I look forward to a slap up meal next month . Just to help out local businesses of course  👍

7 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

No need for that. Good few years left in that jacket.😡

Reported 

You could actually wear a jacket like that these days and be hailed  as a fashionista. Compo was ahead of his time. I am just waiting for my Nora Batty tights to break onto the catwalk. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

So which local bookie will your voucher be going to Jimmy 😁

I look forward to a slap up meal next month . Just to help out local businesses of course  👍

I’m saving my £100 voucher to take you and MrTYDER OUT 😂

I have benefited greatly from this with my wee business, although more so when lockdown was in full flow. Lots of home deliveries most weeks. Some people still ordering which is great as it adds on the normal income from my regular shops etc. Keep supporting the wee guys, you may not realise how much it really means to people.